chapter fifty

ROBIN HOPED TO NEVER see a dirt monster again. He had said that about Titans and Giants too, and he hadn't seen any of those yet. Maybe the Fates would cut him some slack.

He was lying on the floor, eyes closed. Pietro was doing the same beside him, while Wanda was laying on the couch. Tony was out drinking with his friend, James Rhodes, and Thor and Steve were doing the same thing, but a little more intensely.

Sam, Natasha, Bruce and Clint went to get some food, while Vision was out doing Zeus-knows-what. Loki was in the Tower, too, but he was sitting on a chair reading besides the younger heroes. All four of them were in silence.

Robin was wondering why in Hera's name none of the gods decided to help. Not only that, but he was wondering who that masked man was. He sat up all of a sudden, startling the man beside him. Robin's eyes were still closed, making him look almost like a zombie waking from his grave.

Pietro looked at him in confusion, refusing to get up from his spot for the moment.

"If we have to fight people again any time soon, I will punch Stark square in the face," Robin deadpanned, no hint of him joking.

"I'd enjoy seeing that," Loki stated, looking up from his book.

Pietro sat up. "That would be awesome to watch," He agreed, causing Robin to smile like an idiot.

"You're making them want to find trouble," Wanda said, lazily slapping his shoulder.

Robin opened his eyes and beamed at the others. Despite everything, he was started to like the Avengers. As much as he hated to admit it, he was growing attached. The elevator dinged, and out walked Nick Fury and Maria Hill.

Loki, annoyed by their presence, rolled his eyes. The Maximoff twins, in the other hand, perked up. Robin stayed as he was.

"Hey, Pirate-Man, and accomplice!" He greeted, cheerful as ever.

Fury ignored him. "Loki, your father wants to talk you," He said to the god of mischief.

With an audible sigh, Loki stood up, put his book down on the chair and left to his room, where Odin was undoubtedly waiting to talk to him.

Maria pulled Wanda aside, telling her about Vision arriving soon, and her needing to greet him per his own request, saying that he had a surprise for her. She happily walked off, a light blush coaxing her cheeks.

Fury looked at Pietro. "I really have nothing for you, and I doubt you'll be willing to leave the room, am I correct?" He asked the boy.

Pietro shrugged in agreement, laying back down on the floor.

Robin looked between the director of SHIELD and the agent who worked for him. "Am I in trouble? Because whatever I did, it wasn't me," He said.

"Actually, Mister Carter, I'm afraid you've done something right," Fury said.

"It was Percy!- Wait, what?" Robin was not use to hearing that, and the look Fury gave him reminded him of Mr D. That was what triggered him to automatically blame Percy, a habit the two developed as kids.

"As much I hate to admit it-"

"I haven't been lying and I'm a innocent little boy?" Pietro snorted when he said innocent, earning himself a smack in the chest from the demigod.

Fury sighed. "You're free to go, anyway."

"Oh, I'm here on my own free will," Robin said nonchalantly.

Fury blinked. "What?"

"Yeah, I got kidnapped a bunch and all this shit, so I decided to hang around."

"He grew attached," Pietro sang.

Robin blushed. "No. Shut up. I told you that in confidence," He hissed.

Maria smiled at the pair. She found them cute together. "Well, we'll leave you to... do whatever," She said, pulling Fury back to the elevator.

The two boys waited until they were sure they were gone before starting conversation. It was less conversation, and more Robin tackling Pietro for revealing that he was attached. No one should know that! It would make him seem soft. Then he would be the subject of constant embarrassment.

The two rolled around on the floor before they gave up and laid beside each other, both facing the ceiling. They made eye contact and laughed.

Robin felt an odd feeling in his chest, the same feeling he had been feeling every time Pietro was in the room. It was like butterflies were swarming in his stomach. Not to mention the warm feeling he felt every time.

Oh, gods, He thought to himself, growing pale. He felt this only once before, when he had met Citrix. He excused himself from the room and rushed to his own, leaving behind a confused speedster.

He quickly ran inside and locked the door. He pressed his back against the wall and slid down it, running a hand through his hair. How could he let this happen? With his luck, Pietro was straight, and all he'd get is heartbreak. That was not something he wanted. Hopefully his feelings would just go away. They had before. What would be so different this time?

On the bright side, Fury would finally be off his back. Who would want a pirate stalking them? Not Robin. He was pretty sure Dionysus got kidnapped by pirates once, and he was not in the mood to have the same thing happen to him, as he couldn't drive people insane.

Another thing going his way was the lack of villains there was after him once Archie Willis died. Sure, he was confused on how he was unaffected by all the lightning Robin had sent, but he overlooked it in the midst of confusion about who the masked man was. And the mask hadn't been a face mask you wear during a pandemic - it was a mask to conceal you identity. Despite this, there was two things he knew for sure, though.

One, he would be staying with the Avengers for the time being. They were cool and gave him both free food and free shelter.

And two, he wouldn't fall for Pietro Maximoff.