chapter thirty-one

ROBIN GOT BACK TO WORK WITH HIS hair messy and his clothes disheveled. Kiera was quick to notice. She came up beside him with a smirk as he poured someone a drink.

"Someone got lucky," She teased as she wiped down a glass.

He shot her a wink. "It's the hair, gets them every time," He joked. "Maybe you should try dying your hair."

"Yeah, you guys could match and get back to work," Their boss, Glenn, groaned from a little ways away. He was an older man in his late thirties. He was an African-American man black hair and a moustache of the same colour. He loved watching their encounters, but he wasn't about to let them know that.

Robin and Kiera flipped him off simultaneously. He just laughed and continued what he was doing.

At the end of his shift, Robin walked home, minding his own business, until he remembered the five people still at his apartment. He groaned and jogged back, hoping everything was still in tact. To his surprise, everything was, and his guests had actually fallen asleep. He smiled softly.

He picked Nico up bridal style and brought him into his bedroom, gently laying him on the bed and covering him with the blanket. He gathered some extra blankets a pillows and brought them over to the others. Wanda and Pietro were cuddled up together on the couch. Robin draped a blanket on top of them. He then carefully placed pillows under both Sam and Clint's heads, and covered them with blankets.

He turned off the TV and the lights. He sighed, running a hand through his hair. He didn't know what he was going to do. The Avengers were going to be on his tail. They already were. He hopped into the shower, hoping the sound of the water running wouldn't wake anyone up.

The next morning, Nico woke up to find himself in a dark room. He shot up, confused as to where he was before spotting Robin's flight school hoodie handing on the wardrobe handle. He threw the blanket off of his body, quietly leaving the room. He saw the strangers who entered the other day fast asleep. He could've sworn none of them had blankets or pillows beforehand.

He looked the other way, not surprised to see Robin in the kitchen, putting together something. Nico walked over and frowned.

"Did you even get any sleep?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

Robin didn't even look over, focussed on trying to make blueberry muffins. "You already know the answer," He replied as he poured the batter into muffin tins.

Nico sighed. "You didn't need to take care of me," He said.

The son of Zeus finally looked over. He put his stuff down on the counter and placed a hand on his cousin's shoulder. "Nico, I will always take care of you. I will personally kill anyone or anything that hurts you," He stated seriously.

Nico slapped his hand away. "Okay, I get it. Stop being sappy."

Robin offered a small smile. He put his muffins in the oven just as the others started stirring. First Clint woke up, followed by Sam then finally the twins.

It was silent in the apartment before Clint spoke. "Hey, kid, do you have any idea who you're staying with?" He asked Nico.

The son of Hades regarded him with a cold look. "Yes," He said bluntly.

"I don't think you know him as well as you think-" Pietro started, only to be cut off.

"You guys should leave," Robin said stoically. He didn't appreciate them trying to put strain on his relationship with his cousin.

"Come with us," Wanda said, her tone soft. She extended a hand towards him as if he was a wild animal.

He shook his head. "I can't."

"Robin, please," Sam pleaded.

The demigod glared. "You can tell Pirate-Man or whoever it is sent you that I'm not here. Or don't. I couldn't care less." With the flick of his hands, a gust of wind pushed them towards the door. He walked over and opened the door, then shoved them out. He gave a fake smile. "Bye."

The door slammed shut in their faces. The four Avengers stood awkwardly for a moment. "Did we know he could control air, too?" Clint asked rhetorically, breaking the silence.

Wanda shrugged in reply and started walking off, her brother and Sam following. Clint has to jog to catch up, as he wasn't paying attention to where they were going. They got into the car, planning to return to the compound as fast as possible.

Before getting out of the car, Clint addressed his companions. "We're saying he wasn't there, right?"

The other three nodded, inputting little words of agreement.

"If we want to live to see another day," Wanda said, knowing for a fact that Fury would not be happy with the news if he found out, and he always found out.

Sam frowned. "What are we going to tell Fury then? We were gone a long time," He said.

Clint shrugged, opening the door already. "We'll wing it."

And wing it they did. It was hard to watch. They were uncoordinated, but somehow both Tony Stark and Nick Fury suspected nothing, believing their lie about it being a lesbian old woman living there. When asked about why they stayed for so long, they said they were having tea. With the old lady. It's a wonder they've survived this long.

The team discussed a way to reach the boy. They threw out ridiculous suggestions, such as kidnapping his mom, who was dead, and kidnapping his girlfriend, who didn't exist. Funny, the people we put our trust in.

"I could just call him," Sam finally said, hoping no one would say something like kidnap his cat, which he also didn't have.

The conversation stopped abruptly. You could hear a pin drop. No one blinked.

"Well? Do it," Natasha said, waving her hand around aimlessly, indicating him to do it.

"Oh, now?" Sam awkwardly fumbled for his phone, and clicked on Robin's contact. He put it up to his ear, ignoring his teammates who wanted him to put it on speaker. It rang a few times before it was picked up.

"Am I really that famous today?" Was the first thing Robin said.

Sam let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. He didn't actually expect the boy to pick up. He didn't know what to say. He looked at Steve for help.

"Put it on speaker," The super soldier mouthed.

Sam ignored him for the moment. "Hey, listen, I was wondering if you'd like to go... get a coffee." He ended up saying. Then he put it on speaker so they could hear the response.

"Is this a trap?" Robin asked. He sounded skeptical, as he probably should be.

"Probably," Sam replied, ignoring the glares and frantic hand gestures.

"Great, I'll meet you at Starbucks. You'll find the one." He hung up.

Sam gave his team a smug look. "It worked, didn't it?"

~~~
the next chapters gonna hit you in the feels, oops :)

also what ships would you guys like to see in the future?