chapter eight

ROBIN WAS PANTING HEAVILY BY the time he got inside. He leaned against the closed door, catching his breath. His grey eyes scanned around before he started talking. He wasn't sure if Steve was still in the house. Sam, sitting on the couch, noticed. "He's not here," He said, finding it hard to lie to the boy.

Robin hummed in reply and pushed himself up. He walked towards the living room, not sensing that anything was off. Steve was hunched back in a corner, out of sight, reading to restrain the boy. Robin rubbed his eyes, growing tired. It hadn't been very smart of him to run off while he was still healing, but he would never admit it. "Gods, you wouldn't believe what happened," He said, going to sit down.

Before he could start retelling the events at the zoo, Steve came up behind him and locked him in a chokehold. The demigod let out a squeak, his hands immediately going to pull his attacked off of him. Unfortunately, Steve was stronger, being a super soldier and all. Robin found himself having trouble breathing, and tried kicking behind him, hoping to land a decent hit to escape. Sam stood up and came over, mouthing a sorry. Then everything went dark.

The boy's body went limp in Steve's grasp. He immediately let go, and Sam was quick to catch him before his body hit the floor. He sent his friend a questioning look, as if asking what they would do now. Steve took out his phone, sending a quick text to one of his teammates to pick them up. He instructed Sam to tie him up and wait until their ride arrived as he went to check the room. He didn't know what he was looking for, but he figured he needed something. They had neglected to take anything from his apartment the last time they had fought, rather focusing on making sure everyone was alright.

The super soldier checked around the room. Under the bed, in the dresser, and finally got to the desk. He found a collection of odd books, all in languages he didn't understand. He checked the drawer, finding papers with a bunch of odd notes. He took them and put them in a backpack he found laying on the ground. He brought it back out. Out the window, a car pulled up.

He nodded at his friend and they worked together to bring Robin our into the back seat. Sam locked his door and sat in the back with the boy as Steve sat shotgun. Natasha was driving, seeming amused. "Don't trust your own knock out skills?" She teased once she saw the target.

Steve rolled his eyes and let out a sarcastic laugh. "Just drive." She smirked and complied, driving them to the compound. The ride was silent, and weary looks were shot in Robin's direction the entire way.

Once they arrived, Maria Hill was waiting for them.

She led them inside, Steve carrying the boy bridal style. They locked him up in a near-indestructible interrogation room and stood in the other room behind the one-way glass, the rest of their teammates there. Pietro's outfit had grass stains all over it, Steve noticed, but ignore it, figuring he could ask later if he wanted.

Nick Fury soon walked in, nodding in greeting as they waited for their criminal to wake. Fury went over the plan, giving each member their own assignment. He paused when he got to the god of thunder. "Where's Thor?"

Clint shrugged. "Went to go see his girlfriend to get information or whatever," He replied as he swung his legs over one of the arms on the chair he sat on, it being one of few.

"He wanted to see if Selvig knew anything about the kid's lightning thing Thor claimed he had. Still hasn't returned," Bruce elaborated as he stood beside Tony.

Fury nodded in understanding. "Well he better get back soon."

Robin woke up without knowledge of his location. He blinked a few times, adjusting his eyes to the bright lights shining above him. He tried to bring up an arm to shield his face, but found himself unable to. The handcuffs rattled from the movement. He groaned in realization. "Fuck!" He cursed loudly, ready to bang his head on the table. He should've never returned that early. Thoughts about Sam, who he thought was his friend, swirled around his mind. He blocked them out, keeping his face void of emotions. Anyone could figure out that his attackers/kidnappers were behind the mirror. He had seen enough cop movies to know that.

The only door opened and in came the man with the suit, though he didn't seem to have his suit on him. Robin wasn't about to take any chances. He sat down across from the boy, taking off his glasses in a cool fashion.

Realization came over Robin's face as he remembered where he recognized the man. "You're that Tin Can that flies around New York!" He exclaimed, mentally applauding himself. "I knew I recognized you," He said, adjusting his limbs until he was sitting with his legs crossed on the uncomfortable chair.

The man rolled his eyes, suppressing an annoyed sigh. "Alright kid, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Either you tell me everything I need to know and nothing bad happens, or you don't and my team beats you up," He explained, leaning forward.

Robin copied his action to the best of his abilities. "If I remember correctly, I beat your team up last time," He said, a smirk itching its way into his face. He leaned back, the other position making him sore.

Tony chuckled. "You'll find it won't be that easy this time around. We're better prepared." He stood up, adjusting his suit jacket. "Now, I'll be getting someone to come interrogate you. Try to comply, if you know what's best for you." He winked and left the room, letting the door slam shut behind him.

Robin followed his movements until he was out of sight. He chuckled to himself. He would have a lot of fun with this team while he was there.