chapter twenty-three

THE AVENGERS WERE NOT VERY happy with Clint and Robin. Not after their amazing pranks they had pulled, but they all managed to get over it. Robin almost thought they had forgotten about the whole babysitting thing. He had to make sure. So he sat alone in the kitchen, eating from a box of strawberry poptarts. He had been there for awhile now, having gotten bored of hiding behind his shower curtain from the Avengers' wrath. Once he got bored of sitting and doing nothing, so three minutes after he got there, he had started climbing the counters and the fridge. Then he remembered the snacks.

Pietro, on the other hand, was freaking out trying to find him. Tony expected him to look after their mysterious guest slash prisoner. He couldn't find him anywhere, maybe because he was just speeding around and not really looking. In reality, he had passed the boy twice in the past fourteen minutes. Eventually he gave up and got Thor to help him. Thor went to the kitchen first, and immediately found him.

The god froze upon seeing the boy eating his poptarts. FRIDAY, as if knowing what was going to happen, alerted Pietro of their whereabouts.

The boy rushed over, finding Thor with his hammer on Robin's chest, trapping him between the counter and the hammer. He resisted the urge to laugh, but made no effort to help the boy. Instead, he leaned against the wall, watching. Sure, he would intervene if he was going to die, but for now he wanted to watch the show. If only he had popcorn.

Robin was having trouble breathing with the hammer of his chest. He still held the box of snacks in his hand, because it would disrespect the snack god if he dropped it, right?

He pat the god's arm with his free hand, trying to get him to let him go. "Loosing. Air," He choked out.

"Drop the poptarts," Thor demanded.

Robin gave him a confused look, but complied regardless. The god of thunder quickly drove to catch the box, releasing the boy, allowing him to breathe. He gasped, taking in some air. He stumbled off the chair, in case anything would happen again. When he realized Thor was busy cradling his beloved treats, he sighed. He looked over to the wall, where Pietro was watching. He gave him an unimpressed look.

Pietro noticed and shrugged. "You deserved it," He said, pushing himself off the wall.

"Glad you think so, Dash," Robin replied sarcastically. He started walking off toward the training room, away from Thor, whom he really didn't feel like being around.

Pietro ran over, blocking him off. "Where do you think you're going?" He demanded.

The demigod rolled his eyes. "The washroom," He lied, crossing his arms. "Care to join me?"

The other boy's cheeks flushed red as he stepped out of the way. "Sorry," He mumbled.

Robin made his way to the training room, very aware of the person following him. They really weren't being slick. Ignoring them, he entered the room. He sat on a bench, wrapping his hands up, ignoring the fact that one of them was already wrapped up from the night before. No pain, no gain, right? He went to use the punching bag, before pausing and turning to the door.

"Want to spar?" He offered, taking the Avenger by surprise.

"What?" Pietro asked, tilting his head to the side.

Regretting his decision, Robin rolled his eyes. "Do you want to spar?" He repeated.

Hesitantly, the speedster agreed. They both got into a ready position. Pietro made the first move. He threw a punch towards his face, but Robin caught his fist before he could. He grabbed him and flipped him over, pining him down on the mat.

"I win," He teased. They fought a couple more times, the winner alternating every time. Except not really. Robin won most times, near the end going out of his way to giving his opponent some pointers.

Going for another round, Pietro lunged at the other boy, tackling him to the ground. They rolled around on the floor, trying to shake the other off. Robin pushed him off, getting back to his feet, Pietro following suit.

Robin smirked. "Come at me, Speedy. Or are you scared you'll loose again?" He taunted, throwing his hand forwards, gesturing towards him.

Pietro took the bait and took a big step over, swinging at his face. The demigod ducked just in time to avoid the blow. He took this moment to punch the speedster in the gut, causing him to let out a grunt.

Pietro, having observed and spared with many of the other Avengers, decided to try some new moves he had seen used. He pretended to go for a punch, and at the same time kicked his opponent in the back of his knees. Robin let out a quiet oof as he stumbled to the side. Pietro used his super speed to finally knock him down. He placed a foot on the boy's chest, smirking victoriously.

"I win," He stated cockily.

"My, what a big ego you have!" Robin teased, pretending to be Red Riding Hood. He was surprisingly aware of most things pop culture, despite all the shit he had happening in his life.

Pietro rolled his eyes and gave him a kick in the side. The demigod hissed at the pain the blow gave. The Avenger went to hit him again, but he scrambled to his feet. He put his hands up. "Alright, alright! I yield!" Getting kicked when he's down brought up some bad memories he didn't want to revisit.

Robin decided to retire to his room. He needed a foolproof plan to get his bag back. First, he had to figure out who had it - Tony, or Steve - though he was fairly sure it was Tony who had it, having the technology to do extended research. He silently thanked Camp Half-Blood for teaching him Ancient Greek. He had also taken it upon himself to take some Latin classes, so the books were all in different dead languages, which would be harder to decipher. He also thanked Athena for the planning ahead. Really he just didn't want Sam to find out anything.

His chest tightened at the thought of Sam. He wanted to be spiteful at the fact that he gave him in - to the Avengers, of all people! - but at the same time, he missed him. Ever since he had taken him, a boy he found bloodied up with no indication of where he came from, in, Robin couldn't help but feel bonded to him. And he hadn't even told him that much about his past, at all! He missed the veteran, not that he would ever admit that to anyone but himself.

Taking his mind off the subject, Robin mentally drew a map of the compound. He'd have to get some paper, then devise a plan, and he could get his stuff back.