chapter seven

KEYS JINGLED OUTSIDE. Robin scrambled to take all his papers and books and hide them in the desk in his room, the pages a mess in the drawers while the books were scattered on the surface. Luckily they were in both Greek and Ancient Greek, so if Sam walked in, he would have no idea what he was reading. He felt a little bit bad lying to the man who generously took him in, but he didn't want to endanger him any more than he already has.

Footsteps approached the room. Robin flung himself on the bed with a random book in his hands, open at a random page. From the other side of the door, Sam knocked. Robin, rolling over to pretend he was in a different position the entire time, called for him to enter.

Sam pushed open the door, peeking in. "Hey, kid."

Robin rolled his eyes. "Not a kid," He mumbled, but the man ignored him and continued.

"I've got a friend here I want you to meet," He said, gesturing him out of the room before walking away. Robin rolled off the bed, intending to land on his feet but instead fell flat on his ass. He cursed quietly, standing up and dusting himself off. "What was that?" Sam called from out in the living room.

"Uh, my shirt fell," Robin answered as he walked out, turning off the light off and closing the door behind him.

Sam crossed his arms and tilted his head when he saw the boy. "Sounded a lot heavier than that," He said with an eyebrow raised.

"I was in it." There was a silence, the two staring at each other, before they both bursted out laughing. Steve watched on in confusion. His eyes widened in realization. The kid was the same person he and the other Avengers had been chasing for over a month. He could very well be dangerous. He had to warn Sam without alarming the pink-haired boy.

"Robin, I want you to meet my friend Steve," Sam introduced, stepping aside. Robin froze upon seeing the superhero, his skin going pale. One hand went up to the charm on his necklace. He didn't take his eyes off the blonde as he spoke to Sam.

"Why is Boy Scout here?" He asked, his voice void of emotion.

Sam sent his friend an apologetic look for the boy's behaviour before turning to face Robin. "Relax, Rob, he won't hurt you," He reassured him softly.

Robin tore his gaze away from the super soldier to look at Sam. He stared at him, looking for any chance that he might be lying, but finding none. He let his arm fall back to his side and sighed in defeat. "I'm going for a walk," He mumbled, slamming the door shut behind him.

Once Steve was sure he was gone, he turned to his friend. "He's a criminal, Sam!" He exclaimed.

Sam only stared at him, confused. "What the hell are you talking about? You can't accuse people of being bad guys just because they don't like you," He said, crossing his arms. "I told you he isn't comfortable with superheroes."

Steve sighed. "That's not what I mean." He looked his friend in the eyes. "He broke into the Tower around a month ago. We brought him to a SHIELD base then he escaped, injuring several agents," He explained.

"Robin? No way." He shook his head. "He's a sweetheart. I mean, yes, he's strong, but to injure trained SHIELD agents? Not possible," Sam countered, refusing to believe what he was being told despite the doubt in his mind. He only knew so much about the boy, but he trusted him.

Steve put a hand on his shoulder. "I know it's hard to hear. Just let me take him in, and we can find out how and why he did it."

Sam's shoulders slumped. "I don't know if I can do that, Cap."

"It will only get worse as time goes on. I know you two are close, but it's for the best."

He gave in. "Alright, but don't hurt him."

Steve nodded. "Of course." He called Tony, telling him what happened and to meet him at the compound, where he was least likely to escape.

Robin was fuming. Not because of Sam, as he didn't know if he could be mad at him just for wanting to introduce him to his friend, but because of the Cosplaying American Flag. His hands were stuffed in his jean pockets as the wind whipped against his face. He hadn't grabbed a jacket or anything of the sort. He just left. He would return later, probably when the sun had set.

He wandered the streets aimlessly. He knew where a few places were, but so did Sam, and those places would be the first place he would look, presumably with his so-called "hero" friend. He spotted a taxi stopped down the street. He figured he had enough cash on him to make one ride. He jogged over and got in the back, asking to taken to the zoo.

Once he got there, he wandered around for a little bit. He ended up settling down on a bench near one of the less popular enclosures, snacking on some pretzels a nice old woman bought him. A flash of blue came in front of him, disappearing as soon as it arrived. He internally groaned. The same flash was at his apartment when those Avengers attacked him. Nothing good would come from this encounter, he knew. But he really wanted to finish his snack.

"You here to finish me off, Speedy?" He asked into the open, knowing whoever the blue flash was would hear him. How could he have not noticed him? His hair was literally pink. Pretty hard to miss.

Pietro rolled his eyes at the nickname but zoomed over and stopped in front of the target. He glared at him. "I need you to come with me," He stated.

Robin lazily looked up at the handsome boy. "I would love to, really, I would, but unfortunately, I'm not interested." He smiled sarcastically and went back to his snack. He could easily defend himself, so he didn't worry. Besides, only it was only one boy, no older than he was. And he was sure this hero wouldn't want to cause a scene at the zoo in front of all the poor young children.

"I will use force if you don't come willingly," Pietro said, already growing annoyed.

Robin pretended to think about it. "Hmm, how about no. Maybe next time, Bambi." He smirked to himself. He could come up with nicknames all day. It made it even better when he got even more annoyed. When Pietro didn't leave, the demigod frowned. He made a shooing gesture with his hand. "Go on. I'm trying to eat in peace." Pietro rolled his eyes and pulled the boy up to his feet by the arm, causing his pretzels to fall. Robin yelled in complaint. "No! My pretzels!"

Pietro dragged the boy to a secluded area, arriving in a matter of seconds. Robin was dizzy, tripping over his own feet at the strange feeling. He glared, trying to resist. He sent a rough kick to the boy's shin, causing him to tumble. He jumped out of the way just as the Avenger went tumbling down a hill. He didn't spare him a glance as he ran back towards Sam's house.

~
i wasn't going to update until sunday but i have so many chapters and it's valentine's day and i want to feel some love so here you are :)