chapter thirty-four

THE SKY WAS pitch black. Only the moon and stars gave light, if you didn't count the artificial light from the buildings. Apparently Asteroid didn't like fake light, because a handful of his monsters fired upon every building on the street.

Robin pushed himself off the ground, and ripped off his lightning charm. He was ever grateful for his sword, the familiar feeling giving him more will to fight. He didn't expect, however, for Kiera to take a stick from her blouse and hit it to the floor, the small item turning into a staff. Glenn pulled out a gun himself, but felt seriously intimidated by the two before him.

The son of Zeus glanced at the two, regarding with a 'we'll-talk-later' look. With a nod, he rushed into battle, vaguely aware of the two following him.

He ran straight for the monster with the grenade gun. He brought his sword back and then swung it, cutting the thing in half. In melted back into the ground, something the demigod wasn't sure they did before. Then again, he hadn't really been paying attention to how they died, but more to not dying.

He kept killing monsters, trying to see with the limited light sources at his disposal. Gun shots rang around him, from Glenn, he guessed. Maybe it was the monsters, he couldn't tell.

Robin used the air currents to lift some of the monsters into the air, then let them fall. He used his sword to cut them in half, killing them.

"I'm like a Jedi!" He yelled excitedly to his friends.

"Shut up and fight, Skywalker!" Kiera shouted back as she was casting some spells, killing monsters herself.

Screaming was ever present, even once all the Jendaks were killed. Bystanders, as usual, fled the scene. Their screaming alerted sleeping people, which lead to a whole fiasco. Robin sighed, letting his sword turn back into a charm when he saw that the threat was gone. Kiera's staff returned to its stick form, and Glenn put his gun back in his harness.

The three returned to the half destroyed bar, making themselves drinks. They obviously needed to talk about what just happened, much to Robin's dismay. They sat down at one of the still intact tables, no one speaking for a elongated moment.

Glenn pursed his lips, debating what to say. "What the fuck are you guys?" He ended up blurting out.

Kiera looked at Robin, willing him to be the first to speak.

The demigod sighed. "I'm a demigod. I trust you won't say anything, because normal people," He opted out of saying mortal. "Can't know about it."

Glenn opened his mouth to say something, but no words came out.

"Well I'm a magician," Kiera simply said.

"Jesus, your things are so much cooler. I'm just a SHIELD agent," Glenn said, looking at them eyes wide.

Robin tensed up. "Don't tell me you're after me."

"What? No, why would I be after you?"

"I kinda broke in and out of a few places I shouldn't have and knocked out a bunch of agents in an attempt to escape," He confessed.

Glenn stares at him, mouth agape. "I... am not even surprised."

Kiera snorted. "No one ever is after knowing this kid for even a day."

They chatted for awhile longer before deciding to call the authorities about the damage on the street, which Glenn said he'd take care of. Due to the circumstances, they got time off work until repairs were finished, which left Robin plenty of free time that he would probably fill with school work and TV shows, with the occasional fight and research on Archie Willis and his Jendaks.

Robin went home to see his locked picked. He sighed, both in relief and disappointment at the same time. On one hand, he was thankful for his door not being broken on the floor, but on the other hand, someone could've gotten in once (if) the Avengers left.

He carefully pushed the door open. His stuff was turned over and not in the right place, but so far everything seemed to be there. He held his breath as he quickly went to check for his notebook. He slumped down to the floor, the journal clutches tightly in his arms. They hadn't managed to find it, and if they did, they didn't take it.

He left his room and placed the object down on the coffee table. He locked his door, after realizing he hadn't done so. He went and gazed out the window down at the street below. He growled in annoyance as he spotted Tony Stark of all people standing by an expensive car.

What could he do? Take a picture and post it on Reddit, saying he spotted a UFO outside his house? No, for various reasons. First, he didn't have Reddit. Second, his phone would only attract monsters, and third, it wouldn't make as much sense, as the billionaire wasn't in his Iron Man suit. That left him with his other options - hide, or call someone for backup. Where would he hide, the washroom? His neighbour's place? Neither would be good. Stark could get into his house, and his neighbours thought he was a gay outlaw. They weren't completely wrong, but it still wouldn't be fun for them to know him that way. Not the ideal fashion to introduce yourself.

Robin got his notebook back before returning to the window. The expensive car was still there, but Tony was nowhere to be seen from the small glass hole in his wall.

His heartbeat quickened. What if he was on his way up right now? Robin really couldn't get caught now. He ran to the door, grabbing his keys without fail. He locked his apartment up as fast as possible and rushed up the few flights of stairs that were left, reaching the roof in record time. He could fly off, but it might attract attention. He didn't know how the mist disguised him when he flew, and he wasn't sure he wanted to rely on that.

The door to the roof opened. Robin winced. Had he really gotten there already? He stood at the edge, ready to fly off when a voice shouted at him.

"Don't jump! You have so much to live for!" A woman said.

Yeah, like not dying by suicide, Robin thought as he turned to face the person. It was an elderly woman who spoke. She was looking frantic, and her face held an expression of fear.

"What?" Robin ended up asking instead of speaking his mind, thinking his terribly dark humour wouldn't help the woman's state.

She came over and led him off the ledge, gripping his shoulders as tightly as she could. She stared dead into his eyes, her brown eyes meeting his blue ones. "I know it's hard being gay, but it's not a reason to jump off a building for!"

Robin turned apologetic. "No, no, I'm not going to jump, I was just... looking," He assured her, using the hand that didn't hold his notebook to pry her hands off his shoulders.

She sighed in relief. "Oh, thank god! You had me worried." She leaned in. "If all of us gays died, there would be no one to overthrow the straights," She whispered to him, before leaving back down to her own home.

Robin blinked, startled by what just happened. He couldn't ponder over the encounter for too long, though, as the door opened once more.