chapter sixteen

PIETRO PRACTICALLY FLEW DOWN THE HALLS OF THE COMPOUND. Wanda had been gone too long, and he was determined to make sure she wasn't tied up somewhere, or worse, dead. The other Avengers tried keeping up, following the blue streak that followed the boy. Sam, for one, knew Robin would never do anything to Wanda, and the other bird-boy, Clint, knew Wanda could protect herself. They just had to save Robin from Pietro's wrath.

The speedy hero was certainly surprised when he walked in to his sister and Robin laughing as the latter tried to do a hand stand. He lasted maybe ten seconds before he fell over, his amusement not faltering as he did so.

The other Avengers arrived soon after, amused by the sight. Tony awed out loud, glad they were becoming friends. Robin noticed, and quickly pulled himself off the floor. He crossed his arms, and tried to wipe the smile off his face. I don't like them, he told himself, the words repeating themselves over and over again in his mind. But it wasn't true, and he knew it. No, I like Sam, and Wanda too, another voice in his head argued. He focused away from his thoughts and to the group of Avengers before him. He made eye contact with his new friend, and as if remembering the funniest joke, both started laughing again.

Tony smiled at the two younger heroes, glad they were getting along. Pietro was still suspicious. After an awkward moment, they all got ready to train, deciding breakfast wasn't going to happen.

Natasha and Steve, being their resident trainers, announced that they'd be sparing. Robin found himself rolling his eyes as he subconsciously leaned against Sam like he started to do since they bonded. The latter concealed a smile, knowing that this meant he didn't completely lose his trust.

Natasha went to the center of the room and faced her team. "Anyone want a go first?" She asked, an eyebrow raised. The Avengers stayed silent, knowing she was much stronger than she looked. She looked at their newest recruit. "Robin?"

He shook his head. "Hades no, you're not gonna go easy on me," He denied her request, resisting the urge to hide under a blanket. After he beat her up the first time they saw each other, he was certain she wouldn't spare him some slack. She was an assassin, she was trained and she had strategy, unlike most of the monsters he fought almost daily. Speaking of monsters, he was surprised none had shown up yet. Especially with Thor in the same room as him. He brushed away his thoughts when Steve gave in and went over to his friend.

They pair got in their ready positions and engaged in hand-to-hand combat. Robin watched on, almost bored. He was no stranger to sparing, as he did that plenty at camp. But mostly, he couldn't focus. These strange monster were still out there, probably terrorizing innocent mortals by the second. He clenched his fists. How could he let his guard down? There was no way he could get out of a heavily secured building full of trained superheroes, not alone. He smirked as an idea came to mind, but quickly went back to his default expression.

Soon he was up to spar against Clint. Natasha gave the green light, Robin lunged at the other man. The archer easily stepped to the side, letting the boy fall. Instead, he curled into a ball and rolled upright, springing back into action. Clint threw some punches and kicks at him, but Robin blocked them. He threw some hits of his own, but received the same outcome. Finally he managed to kick his shin, earning a small grunt. They repeated the same process, sending each other hits, only a selected few reaching their target. Until Clint landed a punch to Robin's injured shoulder.

He cried out in pain, his other arm flying up to hold the injury. He fell to the floor. Clint immediately backed down, rushing to the boy's side. Creases formed on his face, his eyebrows arched downward. "Shit, did I hit you too hard?" He asked, his words rushed.

Robin grunted, squeezing his eyes shut when he tried to move his arm. "'M fine," He muttered, flinching away from the man's attempts to inspect his shoulder.

Bruce walked up to him as well, a man approaching an animal. He had one hand extended in a non-threatening way, showing the kid he meant no harm. "I'm just going to check your shoulder, alright?" Bruce told him softly.

Robin looked at Sam, an alarmed look in his eyes. He didn't have any telepathic abilities, but he hoped Sam could read his thoughts in that moment. Luckily, he seemed to get the idea. He stepped forward. "Look, maybe we should all just take a step back and-"

"He could be hurt!" Tony exclaimed, obviously not knowing the real reason for any of this.

Robin bit his lip, pulling himself to his feet. His hand still clutched his shoulder. "Like I said-" He cut himself off with a gasp as he moved his arm. "I'm completely fine."

Steve rushed over as he saw the boy stumbled. He held him in place, letting Bruce come check him out. Despite his best efforts to squirm out of his grip, Robin couldn't move. His hand was moved away, leaving an opening.

Bruce awkwardly lifted up his sleeve, uncomfortable with all the eyes on him. He gasped. "What happened?" He asked upon seeing the bloody bandage. He singled for Steve to let go of the boy, which he did.

Robin quickly pulled away, glancing at the wound. It wasn't bleeding earlier. He glared. "None of your concern," He snapped, letting his shirt sleeve fall again as he stormed out of the room, ignoring the stares from the Avengers behind him.

Sam and Wanda spoke up at the same time. "I'll go."