chapter thirty-two

ROBIN KNEW THAT THE OTHER Avengers would intercept this outing. Luckily, he had a plan. Well, twelve percent of a plan. All he knew is that there would be a lot of teenagers and older fans, who are bound to swarm the Avengers as soon as they enter the coffee shop. From there, he wasn't too sure what he would do. He'd figure it out.

He grabbed his jacket for in case it got cold and started walking. He started thinking. Was this a terrible plan? Probably. Then again, when did his plans ever go right? You get a cookie if you said never. He was a demigod. What did he expect? Life to go his way? No, of course not. That would be foolish. The Fates seemed to hate him. He already tried arguing. Late nights yelling at the skies, or the floor. He was ready to march up to them - the gods - and demand they leave him alone. Alas, his friends talked him out of it. That doesn't mean he didn't try.

The breeze was perfect for the time of year, accompanying the boy on his walk. They were old friends, it seemed. Catching up on recent events only after they happened.

He remembered all the things he went through after finding out about his demigod genetics. Most things he would like to forget. Maybe they made him a better person, sort of. They made him into who he was when he was tracked by the Avengers. Stubborn, maybe. A bitch, yeah. It wasn't his fault. None of it was. He was just doing what he felt was the right thing. He didn't get gratitude for it. He had to fight against his old friends. He had to watched his friends die right in front of him. What did he get? Was it even a simple thank you? No, of course not. He got to live. He got to live with the burden of his abilities. They were useful, most of the time. Other times they just brought him trouble.

Why did Zeus have to go and meet his mother? If he didn't, she'd probably still be alive. Driven to madness by Hera for something she couldn't have stopped. Zeus was the one who cheated, why would Molly Carter have to pay for his mistake?

In a way, she had to pay more than her life. Robin was a mistake, was he not? How he managed to get on Hera's side was beyond him. Sure, he helped save her. On the other hand, was he not a constant reminder of her husband's lust and dishonour?

Robin sighed and shook away his thoughts, the Starbucks coming into his line of sight. Walking up to the counter, he ordered an iced coffee. The barista handed to him not long after, despite the packed shop. She even got his name right.

The demigod went and sat down at the only empty table, with room for one more person. Gods, he felt like a basic white girl there. He was so glad he didn't get a frappechino.

Sam entered the shop, ordering himself a coffee before sitting down across from his pink-haired friend. He leaned forward, looking around warily.

"They want to bring you back, hopefully using their words," Sam explained quietly, jumping right to the point.

Robin hummed, taking a sip of his drink. "Aw, is Tin Foil being a big boy now?" He asked, a small smirk on his face.

Sam rolled his eyes. "You never take things seriously, do you?" He asked, obviously referring to the boy's new nickname for Stark.

The demigod raised an eyebrow. "Have you met me?" His eyes shifted, glancing out the window. Outside stood Steve, a hat and glasses on, surveying the area. He didn't want Robin running away. Smart boy, Cap, He thought to himself, chuckling out loud.

Sam knew the plan already, of course, so he didn't have to look. "They'll arrest you if you run," He said, his eyes showing concern. This boy was unpredictable, and he didn't want to be in the way of whatever was about to go down.

"I know," Robin agreed, nodding his head as he looked back at the man before him. "And Flash, is he ready to run after me the second I make one wrong step?"

Sam nodded. "You won't be able to outrun him." He gestured around him. "They have the place surrounded. You can't just fly off. Stark, Vision or Thor will catch you."

"Yeah, I guessed." He subtly glanced behind him, at the people in the shop. He looked to see how many people were outside, too.

His friend seemed to get the wrong impression. "Don't fight your way out of this."

Robin gave him a coy smile. "I have a worse idea." He stood up, and addressed everyone in the Starbucks. "Check it out! The Avengers are outside right now!" He exclaimed and pointed out the window, feigning excitement.

Noticing that he was, in fact, correct, the people in the shop ran out, going to greet the heroes. The other bystanders who didn't need to leave immediately joined in, bombarding the unprepared Avengers. Robin sent Sam a wink before heading out the back door, iced coffee in hand. The hero - whoever it was, he couldn't tell because of the swarm - who was to be guarding the back was nowhere to be found.

He walked out coolly, as if he was in an action movie. He felt as if he were walking out of a building just as the bomb went off. Oh, how he wished he could be one of those kinds of protagonists. Instead he was stuck as one who was forced into this line of work. It's not like he joined a spy agency. No, that might be better. His life was more like the real fairy tails, the ones Disney doesn't tell you about. The one where the bad guys win. Robin lost before. Maybe not the war, maybe not the battle, but he lost all the same. He lost fights. He lost friends. He lost family. He even lost a part of himself.

Life would be much more simple if it weren't for Zeus, would it not? Sure, he respected his father (He wouldn't say loved. That was too strong for the king of the gods who ruined most things), and he was grateful for the small pinch of stuff he's done right. However, if he could just keep it in his pants and stay faithful to his wife, most problems wouldn't have even existed in the first place.

Robin couldn't stray on that, though. He wouldn't dare end up like Luke, hating the gods. He saw what that could do. Besides, the gods have helped them save the world, he supposed. Done them a few favours, too. He couldn't hold their actions against them, really. They're immortal. They never lived by the same rules as humans and demigods. Hence the whole 'Brother-Marrying-Sister' thing, or whatever related issue. It's best not to think about it.

Shaking away his thoughts, he walked off to his apartment. He would probably get a visit soon. And it wouldn't be for tea.