chapter forty-six

IT WAS ALMOST MID November, Robin found out. This meant he had missed his birthday, which was back in October, the seventh, to be precise. He didn't really mind, if he had to be honest. He didn't enjoy celebrating the day he came to life. It was basically just celebrating the fact that his parents had sex. Nine months later, this lame excuse of a kid came along.

He didn't have much to do while he was forced to be resting, so he revisited childhood memories.

He started thinking back to his first memory. He was about six, still an innocent young child. He could remember the day clearly. No clouds in the sky, only the shining sun. It was a warm day, in August. He could picture his mother just as she had always been - long, wavy dark brown hair, the same colour his used to be, and her tan skin darker than her son's.

He remembered himself, no taller than the woman's leg, running around the yard, acting like an airplane. His arms were out and he made noises he thought a plane made, while his mother watched him enthusiastically. Times were simpler then.

Then he thought about the time he got expelled. It wasn't his fault, in his defense. Seven year old Robin was with his class at a field trip at a computer lab. His teacher, a grumpy old man named Mr Haymes, had told them not to touch anything. The demigod remembered that part clearly, because he decided not to listen. He went to touch a computer, and the power for the entire building went out. He had a record of being a troubled student, and that was the final straw. His mother wasn't very happy, and he couldn't explain to her that it wasn't his fault.

Another memory he remembered vividly was the time he first went to Camp Half-Blood. He was only eight years old at the time. He had just been expelled from yet another school for shutting off the power of the school, but he really didn't know how he did that at the time, and his mother had taken him aside. He was crying over the fact that he couldn't do anything right, when she decided to explain to him what a demigod was.

It was as if Molly Carter knew that Hera would soon find out her location. She sent him off to camp. He didn't know why she would do that, at the time. He thought she wanted to get rid of him, but deep down he knew that wasn't the case. Luke Castellan, son of Hermes, was the one to show him around and teach him a lot of things about being a demigod. He was claimed by Zeus later that day at the campfire, which caused quite the commotion.

That autumn, Hera did indeed find out where Molly Carter was. She had her go insane, right in front of her young child. Robin had to witness the changes in his own mother, the only person he had before he went to camp.

It started off slowly at first. Slight hallucinations and the occasional blank in her memory. He was always there to help her regain control. Then it started getting worse. Everything looked like something it shouldn't of, he remembered a woman - a doctor - explained to him. She could hardly recognize her own son. Once he was eleven, she didn't even remember his name.

He lived with her for another two years, enduring the screams at night, and the confusion as to who he was. When he was thirteen she had finally had enough, and killed herself.

Robin remembered that day clearly. He was at school, the same school he had been going to for three years, when he got the news. He was called to the office, and a policeman was there. The boy remembered not liking the look of him. He broke the news, informing him that his mother had jumped off their building earlier that day, after he had left for school.

He remembered feeling numb for a long time after that. His friends helped him through it, luckily. Unfortunately, that summer, so much more went wrong.

Robin didn't know why he was torturing himself with these memories. He had an abundance of sad memories. Of course he had good ones, with his friends. Some he had made over the years. Good memories that came with inside jokes and gave him light.

The son of Zeus looked out the window. It had snowed some more, covering any prints the horse he rode would've left behind. He hated not being able to do anything. What were the Fates trying to do to him? He can't fight the god's battles when he was injured. The only thing he wanted right now was to kill Archie Willis and save the world, again.

He almost hoped someone would come knock on the door. Alas, no one did. The one time he was okay with someone barging in, no one did. If only he would've looked in front of him while he was driving. Maybe he could've swerved out of the way.

It dawned on him that he didn't know what had happened to Pietro. Was he injured? He hoped not. That would make him feel so much more guilty. He seemed fine the day he got back, but Robin had been gone for a month. He could've healed. Bruce and Tony certainly have the technology to make fast recoveries.

Bruce has offered to use some on Robin, but he refused. He wasn't a normal human. The results wouldn't be the same. He didn't know what those machines could do to his body, but he didn't want to find out. The side effects would affect him in negative ways. He didn't feel like experiencing any more pain for a long time.

He got out of bed and went to the washroom, looking at himself in the mirror. He had a clean cut scar on his face now, that he hadn't really noticed, considering he hadn't really looked at himself in a mirror for awhile. It almost reminded him of Luke, really. The whole "scar on your face" thing. Maybe it would grow on him overtime, but little girls certainly wouldn't be approaching him and asking if he was a prince.

He knew very well how he got it. It was later on in the month he had been trapped for. He was in the cell, as he was most days. Asteroid used some kind of weapon he was "testing." He tested it on him.

Robin remembered the pain as if it just happened. His hand went up to touch the scar, wincing at the memory as he did so.

On the bright side, he looked a bit like Shiro from Voltron, which he couldn't be too mad about. He wondered what his mother would say. Would she be disappointed in the things he did? Or would she be proud of him for joining forces with the Avengers despite everything that had happened? He wasn't sure he wanted to know.

~~~
bit of a filler chapter, but now you know more about our boy robin. and we're approaching the end >:)