chapter eighteen

THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES had never called Nick Fury faster. It was his last resort. He sent War Machine to the Avengers Compound as he made the phone call. He quickly informed the director of the problem across the country. Monsters were rising up from the soil, and they had started killing people. Good people. Innocent people. The armed forces couldn't do anything. He need to save his country.

And so, Nick Fury quickly called the Avengers to explain the situation. He drove around the streets recklessly as he informed Stark that he was on his way. He quickly arrived and was greeted by Agent Hill, the two sharing a brief conversation as they hurriedly walked to the team's location.

"You need to get out there," He stated, without explanation.

From his spot away from everyone else, Robin tilted his head to the side. He was all for getting out of the compound, but he didn't want to be monitored like a five year old.

"What's happening?" Steve asked.

"Those creatures are out and attacking people again, unprovoked," Fury explained. "I need you out and fighting."

James Rhodes, or War Machine, walked in next, continuing for the director. "The president wants you guys, he recommended you personally," He stated.

"Where?" Robin asked from the shadows, unintentionally being as dramatic as his dad. He leaned against the wall, his arms crossed. Some time ago, Wanda had gone to rejoin her brother, leaving him alone.

"Sorry?"

"Where are the monsters?" He clarified, refusing to call them creatures. Creatures don't go around killing innocent mortals.

"North-Eastern area," Fury replied.

Robin pushed himself up, letting his limbs fall back to his side. He ignored the stares of the people around him as he made his way towards the main entrance. He pushed the doors open, furrowing his eyebrows at the fact that it was unlocked. He could've just escaped any time? Shaking away his thoughts, he steadily got in a position to fly, figuring it was the easiest mode of transport. Before he could take off, a force held him in place. He quickly realized it was Steve, holding him down.

With his powers already in play, he ended up falling to the floor. He glared behind him. "What in Hades- Let me go, Boy Scout!" Robin exclaimed with a glare in the super soldier's direction.

Steve refused to let go, pulling the boy back inside to where the others were getting ready to go out and fight. He gave him a steady glare. "You're staying here," He told him, as if he would listen to his order.

Robin scoffed and pulled his body away, crossing his arms. "You wish," He said, maintaining eye contact.

Steve didn't back down either. "You're staying here, Fury will make sure you don't leave."

"Pirate Man?" Robin cried out in disbelief. He didn't need to stay here, much less with a pirate babysitter! "I- You need me!"

Tony raised an eyebrow, walking over and joining the conversation. "Why would we need you? We can all handle our own," He inquired.

"I know more about these things than you do," The demigod stated.

"Yeah, and last time you faced them you got shot," Sam pitches in, full Falcon gear on.

Robin closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Yeah, and now I'm fine." His arms fell back to the side as he eyed them. "I'm going, and there's nothing you can do to stop me," He stated, pointing an accusing finger at each of them. Without waiting for their response, he pushed past them and back out.

"Kid, wait!" Tony called, taking a few steps towards him.

The boy rolled his eyes at the use of the word kid, but stopped and turned his body around. "What?"

"You're going with Thor."

"But-"

"We can't risk you escaping," It was Fury who spoke up that time.

With an exasperated groan, Robin threw his arms in the air in defeat. "Oh, fine!" He shook his head. "Di Immortales, you guys suck," He muttered to himself before addressing the older men. "Only because you won't leave me the fuck alone," He said, and spun on his heel, heading back out. As he passed the god, he pat him on the arm. "Let's go."

Both he and Thor took off into the air, with the Asgardian going much faster than he was. Robin cursed under his breath. Of course the hammer could make him fly, and of course he was fast. What was this, that Flash vs Superman race from Justice League? No, because he was also flying. If it was Pietro vs Thor, however...

The two landed in Queens, where those monsters were crowding the streets, attacking citizens with their weapons. Robin pinched the bridge of his nose. "I just don't get a break," He murmured to himself, and he took out his sword. He and the other controller of lightning nodded to each other and began killing the creatures, fighting side by side. A spider-themed superhero also helped out, focussing on just getting the innocents to safety.

In other parts of the country, the others also fought in pairs. Wanda and Pietro, Clint and Natasha, Sam and Steve, Tony and James, as well as both the Hulk and Vision in their own areas. Maria and Fury were monitoring the situation, while killing any monsters they came across.

Robin killed one of the beasts with his sword, while others came at him. Thor killed one coming at him from the back, surprising the boy. "Don't start thinking I owe you!" He called out with a small smirk as he continued destroying the monsters.

"I wasn't planning on it!" Thor replied.

"Good!"

The monsters hadn't much improved since their last fight, Robin noted, if at all. They were still ugly, and still looked as though someone had summoned them from the ground and armed them. The weapons weren't ideal, but they were deadly. Guns, whips, swords, a lot of human weapons, but also a lot of weapons demigod's used.

Robin narrowed his eyes at the weapon one of them was carrying. It reminded him too much of the weapons back at camp. He pushed his concerns aside as he killed the thing, and the weapon dissolved into the ground as they all did when they died, not that the boy noticed.