chapter thirty-seven

ROBIN WAITED PATIENTLY AT THE meeting location he set. He wasn't even sure if Wanda, or anyone, would show up. He wore his school hoodie, with his hands deep in his pockets. He stood on the runway to the flight school he attended, the cool breeze not bothering him as much as one would think it would.

A car pulled up nearby. It didn't look as expensive as the one he saw Tony Stark drive the day before (when he was almost kidnapped by said man), but it was clearly one of his. The exterior was shining, and it had one of those license plates rich people like to get with their names on them. STARK, it read. The demigod wasn't too surprised. Was anyone?

Wanda and Pietro exited the vehicle. Robin sent them a smirk.

"I'm surprised you came," He called out to them, his eyes following their movements. He couldn't risk them trying anything.

"What did you think I was going to do?" Wanda asked, stopping in front of him.

Robin shrugged. "Show the note to your teammates, then come and arrest me or some shit."

"We did show them the note," Pietro told him with a huff. "They thought it was a trap. So did I." He sent an unamused look toward his sister.

"It could've been, yet you came anyway," The demigod pointed out.

"I trust you won't hurt us," Wanda said.

Robin shook his head. "Of course not. As long as you, or your team," He glanced over his shoulder, making sure no one else was around. "Don't hurt me," He finished, looking back at the twins.

"They don't even know we're here," The girl assured him.

He nodded and sent the both of them an amused look. "Sneaking out, are we?"

Pietro scoffed. "We can make our own decisions," He said, crossing his arms.

"That's what they all say," Robin teased.

"Your writing's too bad for anyone to understand," Wanda said, holding out her arm to stop her brother from doing anything he might regret.

"Hey, english is hard!"

"Why did you want to see me?" Wanda asked, changing the subject.

"Well, Cosmo, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be attacked anymore. I can't keep running like this. I have a world to save, for Zeus' sake."

"What are you going to do?"

"Maybe I'll move into a retirement home and get a bird named Fawkes," Robin answered sarcastically.

Pietro looked at the other boys hoodie, reading the text. "You go to school here. That's why this is the location you gave," He noted, proud of himself for figuring that out.

The demigod nodded. "Smart boy, Blue." He sighed and looked back at the building. Only a few more weeks to go, and he'd be finished. Then he could move on, stop Asteroid, and escape from the Avengers, for good, hopefully.

Before anything more could be said, the building blew up. It was as if everything was happening in slow motion. Robin threw his hands up, using the wind to blow the smoke away from the three of them. It wasn't easy. It was a big explosion.

He saw the Maximoff's looking shocked behind him. He groaned as the force increased.

"Go!" He yelled, hoping to get them as far away as possible.

"What about you?" Wanda asked, her voice laced with concern.

"Just go!" He didn't have time to say anything else.

Pietro nodded at him and took his sister into his arms. He dashed away with hesitation, becoming nothing more than a blue blur.

Another explosion went off. Robin grunted as more force was added onto his makeshift shield, that really wasn't much of a shield nor a force field. It was just him trying to push back the blow. Unfortunately, he wouldn't be able to hold it much longer.

He looked around him, looking for any means of escape. There was nothing but the car that was left there. Keeping both hands out in front of him, he stepped backwards toward the car. If he could hide behind it, even just for a little bit, maybe he would be okay. Maybe not okay, but alive. He stopped controlling the winds and ducked down behind the car.

Glass fell onto him from the windows, and metal flew by him, occasionally nicking him. He hissed in pain. He had cuts all over his body now, and the heat was almost too much. He curled up, trying to protect himself to the best of his abilities. So much for a peaceful negotiation.

Somewhere else in town, Pietro and Wanda found somewhere private and secure to call for a ride. Steve agreed to come pick them up, leaving them to wait in silence.

Pietro couldn't get over the fact that Robin, the guy he hated, risked his life to save his and his sister's. Not only that, but it was a stupid move! Sacrificing himself like that? Not everyone would do the same.

Wanda, standing anxiously beside her brother, was worried about her friend. He had to be alive, right? He couldn't just... die, after one explosion? It didn't feel right.

In the car, Steve decided to lecture the twins on leaving without telling anyone, or something of the sort. Neither of them were paying attention. They spent their time in the vehicle lost in their thoughts, both thinking about similar but different things. Both their thoughts were centred around Robin, that much was sure.

When they arrived back at the compound, Tony was not happy with them or their decision to go meet Robin. Nor about the destruction of one of his cars.

"I knew it was a trap! But you went anyway," The billionaire exclaimed, pulling up the news feed of the explosion.

"It wasn't him!" Wanda protested.

"Who else would blow up the place you were supposed to meet up?" Steve asked, crossing his arms over his chest as he stood by Tony.

"He goes to school there," The girl countered.

"No one likes school," Natasha said, siding with Tony as well.

"He was the one standing closest to the building when it blew up."

"He wouldn't blow himself up," Sam said, siding with the Maximoff girl.

"Suicide bombers do, maybe he wanted to too," Tony pointed out.

"Does he really seem like the type?" Clint asked the billionaire, an eyebrow raised.

Tony shrugged. "He's unstable and unpredictable. It could happen."

"I don't believe he would attack Wanda. Pietro, maybe, but he seems to care for Wanda. I very much doubt he would risk betraying Sam's trust, as well," Vision put in. While the billionaire spoke the truth about the boy being unpredictable, he was still human. He had feelings, compassion. They'd seen it.

"We don't know what he is capable of," Thor said.

"So it's settled. He did it, we need to arrest him," Tony said.

"No, he saved us from the explosion," Pietro argued, surprising everyone as he came to the defence of the demigod. The pair were almost always at each other's throats.

"Robin might be dead right now!" Wanda exclaimed, her worry coming back.

"Not dead," Spoke a pained voice from behind all of them.