chapter five

SAM THREW OFF THE BOXING GLOVES, letting out a heavy breath. Him and the kid had been at it for awhile practicing some boxing moves, both of them enjoying it immensely. "Damn, kid," He started, wiping the sweat off his face with a towel. "You pack quite the punch."

Robin smirked. "You say that every time. And like I said, I can defend myself."

"Didn't doubt it. Bet the other guys were always worse off than you."

"Obviously."

It had been almost a month and there was no sign of the heroes anywhere. Robin was really warming up to Sam, but he couldn't help but worry that he put him in danger. The two left the gym, on their way back to Sam's house.

"We should stop for ice cream," Robin commented with a wink.

Sam rolled his eyes. "We went yesterday!" He exclaimed, throwing his arms up to emphasis his point. The pink-haired boy gave him a look. "Fine, we'll get ice cream, you unhealthy child."

The boy smiled in response. On the road to the ice cream parlor, they talked about a new album that was coming out from an artist they both enjoyed. The street was awfully quiet for that time of day, and any car that did pass by was going above the speed limit. A long whip hit them both, sending them flying into a building. Robin cursed when he saw the monsters.

"What are these things?" Sam shouted over the ever increasing screams of civilians. He got to his feet, getting in a defensive stance.

"I've been asking myself that for almost two months!" Robin yelled back, ripping off the charm from his necklace. It turned into a sword, much to Sam's shock.

"You carry that thing on your neck?!"

Robin gave him a look over his shoulder. "We'll talk later," He promised before running into battle with the monsters, who, unbeknownst to him, had grown stronger and smarter since the last time. Though not by much, it still made a difference in battle. He cut at the creatures, dodging their blows and shooting them with small sparks of lightning, but not enough to be noticeable to anyone else. One managed to shoot him with a root gun, hitting him in the arm. He inhaled sharply, but managed to pull through and slay all of them. His sword returned to his charm and his hand quickly shot up to put pressure on his wound. Sam rushes over to him.

"Shit, Rob, you got shot?" They rushed back to Sam's place where he got to work patching him up. "Just stay awake, alright?"

Robin, being extremely drowsy, laughed. "Sleep is for the weak!"

When he was all bandaged up, Robin passed out, curling up in a ball. Sam sighed and went to do some research on the creatures terrorizing the people. He picked up the phone and dialled a number.

One month ago

Artemis hit both her brothers upside the head. Their apartment was utterly destroyed, with traces of blood on the floor and walls. The door was laying flat on the floor and Robin was nowhere to be seen. "We had one job," She muttered, stepping inside. Apollo and Hermes followed her.

"Think Robin's alright?" Hermes asked worriedly. When they had spoken earlier that day, he hadn't been nice and was yelling at him. He didn't think he could live with himself for a few years if his half-brother was dead now when they went off on those terms. After their argument, Hermes went to find the twins to tell them about how stupid the boy had been.

"He always is, more or less," Artemis replied, all three of them knowing he could handle himself, even when he isn't being careful.

They searched around, looking for clues as to who attacked their brother. Apollo inspected the dent in the wall curiously. He was about to comment on it when he was suddenly in a different place he recognized as Olympus. He winced before turning around, seeing his father's annoyed face. He was only vaguely aware of Artemis and Hermes on either sides of him.

"My children," Zeus started, gesturing them forward. "I like Robin as much as you do, but you know the rules. I am afraid you can no longer be doing whatever it is you guys were doing. You may still talk to him, but you must understand that we cannot meddle with mortals this much."

The three gods bowed their heads slightly. "Yes, father," They said in sync. The king of the gods dismissed them.

They left the throne room. Apollo looked at the other two Olympians. "What are we going to do? We don't even know where he is," He said, crossing his arms and leaning against a column.

Hermes ran a hand through his hair. "Track him down, I guess." He looked at Artemis for support, but she just shrugged.

"Explain to him what happened, hope he understands and not meddle with mortals."

The three gods met Robin in a cafe. He had a pretty solid idea of what they were going to say.

"Listen, Robin, I know this will be hard to hear-" Apollo started only for the boy to cut him off.

"You have to leave, I know." He tried not to sound bothered. The gods didn't seem to notice his disappointment. "It's fine, don't worry. I get it."

Artemis tried for a smile. "Sorry. I wish we could stay, but you know, dad's rules," She apologized.

Robin shrugged as if it didn't bother him and took a sip of his coffee. The three gods bid him goodbye and left, leaving him alone in the coffee shop. Around him, girls were giggling and pointing at him. He sat, not the slightest bit phased. One particular blonde girl walked up to his table, sitting down across from him. She propped her elbows up in a flirty fashion.

"Hey cutie~" She purred, leaning closer.

Robin shook his head. "Don't," He advised, putting up a hand to stop her from going any further.

She cocked her head to the side, confused. "I'm sorry?"

"The flirting. Don't. I'm not interested."

She huffed and sat back, crossing her arms. "You haven't even given me a chance."

He raised an eyebrow at her, swinging one leg over the other under the table, relaxing in his chair. "I told you, I'm not interested."

"Playing hard to get, huh?" She mused, winking at him.

He sighed and stood up to leave, leaving a tip on the table. The girl followed him out. Robin tried his best to ignore her, but it was proving to be difficult as she was jumping up on him. Soon he had enough and pushed her off of him. "Would you stop and leave me alone?" He snapped. "I told you I wasn't interested."

"But why not?" She whined.

He spun around to face her. "Because I'm gay!"

Her face went dark. She slapped him and walked away with her head held high. He sighed and shook his head.