chapter eleven

TONY SAT ON THE TABLE, his feet resting on the chair. Robin looked him up and down before settling on looking him in the eyes. Not that he really could, as the man had put his sunglasses back on. "You know your ass goes on the chair, not the table, right?" The boy inquired jokingly, a smirk present on his lips. The billionaire laughed sarcastically.

"Ha, ha, very clever," He said, rolling his eyes though the boy couldn't see it. "I hear you're giving my team a hard time. What did I say would happen if you did that, again?" He asked, fighting a cocky smirk.

Robin shrugged. "I forget. Care to remind me, kind sir?" He questioned, feigning innocence as he inched his body forward as if he was really interested in the answer the man could provide.

"Well, I said that-" Before Tony could continue, Thor burst into the room. Robin, although startling by the sudden movement, didn't let it show as he leaned back in his chair. Tony looked at the god. "Uh, Thor, I'm kinda busy here," He said, getting up off the table. The god ignored him, marching up to the pink-haired boy. Before the billionaire could stop him, Thor broke the handcuffs, and proceeded to push his hammer down on the boys chest.

"I have spent weeks trying to figure out an answer to your abilities, but found nothing. How do you have control over lightning?" He demanded. Robin was angled downwards with the chair, only the back two legs on the ground. He would have been scared he would topple over, but the ever-increasing weight in his chest took over that emotion. He felt his breath coming up short, so he rushed to get an answer out.

"How about you just," He wheezed for air. "take your weapon off my chest, and we can," He paused, gasping for air. "talk this out."

Thor grunted, a reluctantly removed his hammer. The chair-and Robin-fell backwards, crashing to the floor. Steve, alongside Vision and Clint, rushed in to pull Thor off the boy. Tony held up a hand to them as he backed up to join them, wanting to see how this would play out. Robin coughed, straightening himself out after getting to his feet. His body tensed up as he prepared to make a break for it, but Thor anticipated his move. He swung his hammer, knocking the boy to the floor. He stormed over, picking him up by the collar and holding him up in the air. "Answer the question," He ordered, not messing around.

Robin kicked the god, trying to get him to drop him, but no luck. He let his body go limp. "Fine," He spat, any traces of amusement gone from his features. "It's genetic." It wasn't a lie. From from it, actually. Thor seemed skeptical. He held his stare for an antagonizing moment before dropping the boy, who fell to the floor for what felt like the millionth time. Robin scrambled to get back on his feet in hopes to get out the door, but it was blocked. He knew he wouldn't be able to defeat them again, especially not with Sam in the other room. It would just prove to him that he was, in fact, a criminal. He sighed in defeat.

Fury walked into the room, going to sit down in the interrogators chair. He gestured for Robin to come sit back down. Keeping an eye on the pirate, he grabbed the fallen chair and sat down, the back facing the table as he sat in it upside down. He raised an eyebrow. "What do you want, Pirate-Man?" The boy asked, his arms leaning on the top of the chair.

"I have a proposition for you," Fury said, ignoring the nickname he was given. He slide a file across the table, a singular paper inside. The Avengers watched on in suspense, not one of them knowing what he was up to.

Robin eyed him for a moment before snatching the file, opening it cautiously. He squinted, trying to get the letters to settle into words that made sense. After a long moment of silence, he groaned. He hadn't read all of it, but from what he did read, he wasn't interested. He dropped the file back into the table, looking back at Fury. "Look, I appreciate the offer, and I would just love to join your team of Cosplayers, but I am really not interested."

Fury glared with his one good eye. "You either join the Avengers," He started, emphasizing the group's name. "Or you stay locked up in a cell designed specifically for you."

The room was silent, on both sides of the glass. You could hear a pin drop. Natasha and Clint kept their faces void of emotion, both having figured this could've happened. Vision looked concerned, afraid of what could happen with the unpredictable boy. Thor, Steve and Tony all held looks of shock and surprise. Wanda held her brother back from going to attack the man, knowing Pietro wanted nothing more to do with the boy.

Sam's mouth hung open. There was no way Robin would accept the offer. After knowing him for as long as he had, he knew how much the boy despised heroes. Not necessarily because of their attack at his own home, but because of past traumas and deaths that they weren't there to help. He feared Robin would lash out on Fury, and perhaps even manage to escape. If he heard correctly, and he had managed to take out the entire team before, he could do it again. He held his breath as he awaited the answer.

Robin glared back at the one-eyed man. "Those are my only two options?"

Fury nodded. "What will it be, Mister Carter?"

The boy rolled his eyes. "You're doing this on purpose."

"Your decision."

He kept ignoring the man. "You know I wouldn't be able to stay out in a cell long." He narrowed his eyes. "But yet, after all the trouble I caused you, you want me on your stupid team. Why?" Robin demanded, leaning forward.

Fury leaned forward as well, lowering his voice so only the two of them could hear. "Because, Mister Carter, there's a threat that needs to be eliminated, and you're the only person who knows about these creatures. You may be hiding something, and I will figure out what, but we need your help." He leaned back in his seat, satisfied at the look of anger of the boy's face. "So what will it be?"

Robin glared once more. "You're one sick son of a bitch." He shook his head in dismay. "Alright, fine. I'll join your team of cosplayers." He pointed a finger in the man's face. "I better get tickets to ComicCon for this, Pirate-Man."

Fury smirked. "It's Nick Fury to you, Mister Carter. Welcome to the Avengers." He held his hand out to shake.