chapter twenty-eight

AS SOON AS THE SUN CAME up, Robin went to the Big House. Mr D and Chiron were in there, having a conversation. Robin awkwardly knocked. He was immediately gestured inside.

"Robin, what a pleasant surprise," Chiron said. "Annabeth told us you were held up somewhere?"

Robin shrugged. "Yeah, I got out," He replied, leaving out all the details. They didn't need to know anything. He would never be found here. The Avengers couldn't get in. "I was wondering if you knew of any demigod who could control plants and the earth," He said.

"Plants and the earth," Chiron mused. "A child of Demeter, perhaps?"

"Maybe. Any sons of Demeter who are cyborgs?"

"You mean that kid Archie Willis?" Mr D spoke up.

"Look at you, using someone's actually name," Chiron teased.

Robin snorted. "Did this Archie guy call himself Asteroid?"

"Maybe. I don't know, kid. I tried not to talk to him. Or any of you," The god of wine said.

Robin nodded slowly. "Right. Well thanks," He said and bowed mockingly. Dionysus rolled his eyes and shoved the boy out.

The son of Zeus stumbled, but caught himself before he could fall. He laughed, glad to be back. He missed Camp. He hadn't been in a long time. Unfortunately, he couldn't stay very long. He had work to do before he could spend more time there.

He stopped by his cabin to pick up his notebook before making his way to the mess hall. Not to eat, but to talk with Annabeth. Not caring about the looks that were given to him, he walked over to the Athena table and sat beside his friend, plopping his notebook down in front of him. The blonde gave him a startled look.

"Robin? I thought you were-"

"Kidnapped? Yeah, I was. Now I'm here." He flipped open his notebook, opening it up to a page where he had drawn a picture of the guy he was looking for, with messy notes around it, all in greek. "From what I've gathered, this is Archie Willis," He paused, taking out a pen and scribbling down the name. "Calls himself Asteroid."

Annabeth angled the book so she could see it properly. Her eyes scanned the page. "Right. And he's, what? Trying to rule over the human race?" She asked, glancing up at her friend.

Robin shook his head. "Not exactly." He flipped the page, where he had information on the monsters. "These monsters, I'm fairly certain he's controlling them. If you want to rule the world, you don't kill everyone who lives on it, right?"

She hesitantly nodded. "Right.."

"So I'm thinking it goes deeper than that." He lowered his voice down to a whisper, leaning closer to her. "I think he wants to destroy the world - all of us."

Annabeth frowned, deep in thought. It made sense, villains wanted that all the time. But why? What's the motive? Why not do the work himself? Sure, many of the people they defeated hated getting their hands dirty until the end. But what was this guy trying to do, really? What was the endgame?

She glanced down at her plate. "What's our move?" She asked.

Robin shrugged, leaning back and closing his notebook. Then he furrowed his eyebrows. "Our?"

She gave him an unimpressed look. "We're in this together, weather you like it or not," She deadpanned.

He shook his head. "Sorry Annie, but this is something I'm going to do on my own. You have enough on your plate, with college and all. I'm not going to let you compromise all that you've worked for," He said.

Summer was coming to an end, and another school year would be starting soon. His friends were returning for another year at school, while Robin thought he would go back to flight school and continue learning to drive a plane.

Annabeth sighed in defeat, knowing it was useless to argue with him. "Fine, but as soon as something happens, you call me, alright?" She said, giving him a pointed look.

He nodded, agreeing.

A week later, Robin was starting school. Meanwhile, the Avengers were freaking out. They spent every minute of the past week searching for their pink-haired prisoner - sorry, teammate - but came up empty handed. They hadn't told Fury yet, but as soon as he found out, they were done for.

They gathered in the kitchen to discuss the issue, and stress eat. Tony leaned against the island counter, a glass of vodka beside him. Bruce sat beside him, head in his hands. Thor was eating poptarts in the corner, while Steve was leaning against a wall, his arms crossed. Natasha sat on the counter beside the fridge, trying to come up with theories as to where he could be.

Wanda and Vision sat on the floor, the former leaning against him. Clint was standing in the middle of the room, wondering what went wrong. Sam paced the floor, trying to figure out how to get the demigod back. Pietro sat on the last available stool, unable to sit still.

"We should just contact Fury, he could track him down," Clint said, shrugging his shoulders. He didn't see any other way to find him. Robin could be across the country by now.

"We contact Fury, and I get my head cut off," Tony said, taking a sip of his drink, letting the alcohol into his system.

"So we won't be loosing much," Natasha joked, trying to lighten the mood. The billionaire sent her a glare. She only shrugged in return.

"Maybe I could go look for him. He might be back in DC," Sam suggested. He knew all the boy's favourite spots.

"It is unlikely that he would go back some place he knows we would look," Vision informed.

"Unless that's what he wants us to think," Tony said.

"We could check anyway," Steve said. They needed to check anywhere they could if they wanted to find the boy. He looked at Natasha. "When did Fury say he was going to come check in?"

"He didn't," She replied. The super soldier winced at the news.

"So we have to find him as soon as possible. Great," Clint said, running a hand through his hair.

"Why don't we just track him from here?" Pietro spoke up. While he didn't really want to see the boy again, he also wanted to live.

Bruce finally looked up. "It could work. Unless Fury can track Stark's activity," He said softly.

"I'll just go incognito mode," Tony joked.

"Might as well try it," Steve said, pushing himself off the wall.

~~~
does anyone ship bucky and sam? asking for future reference