chapter forty-two

WHEN PIETRO AWOKE, HE immediately noticed Robin's disappearance. The two cars were still there, one with no wheels and another flipped upside down. He was quick to get out of the bush, and sped around looking for the other boy, despite the pain in his right leg. He couldn't find him, or Asteroid, anywhere. He searched until dark, but nothing showed up. He even climbed up the tree to look. You would think a boy with pink hair would be easy to find in an open field.

When nothing came up, he ran back into town, trying to find a phone. The pain in his leg only got worse as he ran, so he didn't feel like running all the way back to the compound. He called for a ride instead.

Natasha showed up in a S.H.I.E.L.D. car. Judging by the look on her face, Pietro was sure he looked like Hell. He got in the car, staying silent the entire way to the compound, which the assassin respected.

He limped inside with Natasha's help. As soon as he was inside, he would've collapsed if it wasn't for the person supporting him. Upon seeing him, Wanda immediately rushed to his side. She took him off Natasha, who in turn went to get the rest of the team. She still had no idea where Robin or Asteroid was.

Wanda laid her brother down on a cot in the med bay, which they hadn't used much. Bruce was first to get there, immediately going to check the boy out for any serious injuries.

The next morning, after Pietro was all bandaged up and rested, the Avengers gathered around the table to talk. Steve and Sam made a good breakfast, in case Pietro was really hungry. Which he was. They all watched the blonde wolf down all the food he put on his plate. Wanda sat beside him protectively.

He didn't say anything, blind to their expectations for an explanation.

"What happened, kid?" Tony finally asked, breaking the silence. The other were also staring at the boy expectantly.

Pietro swallowed the food he was eating and looked down at his plate. "Uh, well, we split up - Robin and me, and Asteroid - to fight those monsters, and Robin and I finished them off quickly, so we went to help Archie out, and... and it turns out he's the one controller the monsters," He started explaining, fiddling with his fork. His sister pat his leg supportively.

"And then what?" Steve asked. Pietro actually seemed to enjoy Asteroid's company, just like the rest of them. This was certainly easier to believe coming from him, as opposed to Robin.

"Uh, we ran. We took a car, and he followed us, and shot at us, then we crashed. I passed out, and when I woke up, they were both gone."

Natasha hummed. "Do you think they're working together?" She asked the group.

Sam shook his head. "You saw how much Robin hated that guy. It's unlikely," He stated. He couldn't mask the worry in his voice. He trusted Robin with his life, and he was positive Robin would never work with Asteroid, no matter how much he was against the Avengers.

Natasha was about to say something about how he might be biased, but Bruce spoke up in agreement.

"I don't think someone would pretend to hate someone that much if they were working together. He wouldn't even talk to Archie," He said.

"We have to find Robin," Pietro said, determination lacing his voice.

Wanda nodded in agreement. "We cannot just leave him with that... that traitor!"

Vision, from beside her, put a hand on her shoulder. "We will look for him," He assured her.

"Someone should try to reach Thor," Tony suggested. "And, I never thought I'd say this, alert Fury."

Natasha and Clint teamed up to contact their boss, while Steve tried to find a way to reach Thor. Only the assassins were successful.

Sam tried calling all the contacts on Robin's phone, surprised to see only four, including him. The person labeled Glenn picked up first.

"What's up, champ?" A deep voice greeted.

"Uh, hey," Sam said.

"This isn't Robin," The man stated in confusion.

"No, he's missing," Sam explained briefly.

"Oh, I'm sure he'll be fine. He can handle himself," Glenn dismissed, and hung up.

Sam frowned and clicked the next contact, Kiera. It rang for a few moments before someone picked up.

"Hey babe," She greeted cheerfully.

"This isn't Robin, it's actually Sam," The Avenger quickly said.

"Is Robin in trouble?" Kiera asked. "I told him to be careful."

"Yeah, he's missing."

"I'll be on the lookout over here," The woman promised, and hung up the call.

Sam finally called the last person, but no one answered. He put the phone back down on the bed, and left, wondering if this Kiera lady was Robin's girlfriend. Maybe he would ask some other time, though he was skeptical. Robin didn't seem like the type to date anyone, really.

Tony and Bruce, now with Maria Hill's help, we're searching every network and satellite for the boy in the lab. So far, they weren't finding anything.

The other Avengers were out searching around nearby states. Natasha, Fury and Steve were in one place, Clint and Pietro in another, Wanda and Vision in yet another. They were out asking around, but unfortunately no one had seen a boy with pink hair that matched his description.

Kiera, true to her word, was searching. She looked all over town, and managed to convince Glenn to help out, despite his belief that Robin would turn up sooner or later.

Annabeth, after not receiving any word from Robin for almost two months, drove up to the compound, dragging her boyfriend along with her. She had first stopped by where Nico said the boys apartment was, but he no longer lived there. This was the next place she could check.

Sam was the one to let her in. More like she forced her way inside, dragging Percy along as he apologized over his shoulder. Annabeth, finding Tony, Bruce and Maria, demanded to know where Robin was.

"Woah, lady, we're trying to find him too," Tony explained, her glare starting to scare him.

"Aren't you the guys who kidnapped him?" Annabeth asked, raising an eyebrow skeptically.

"Well, yes, then he came here willingly," Tony admitted.

"And now he's gone?" Percy inquired, crossing his arms.

"Pretty much, yeah."

The two demigod's glanced at each other and rushed back out the building, not even giving Annabeth enough time to meet Bruce Banner, someone she and her half siblings admired very much.