chapter thirty-six

ROBIN WAITED PATIENTLY on the building roof. He just needed to bid his time. The sun was still bright, and his notebook was still pressed close to his body. Every time he saw something that even slightly reminded him of the Avengers, he would duck under a satellite dish. He would probably end up attracting monsters at some point if he wasn't careful. He used his phone, of course, so that was the problem.

He was waiting for another demigod, Citrix Dale, a son of Victoria, Roman Goddess of victory. You probably knew that though. If not from prior knowledge on mythology, but by her name. The pair had a history, but split due to the lose of feelings between them.

The boy in question arrived. He had shaggy brown, and his sun-kissed skin complemented his figure. He wore his purple Camp Jupiter shirt, as he was often seen with, along with a baseball cap on his head. He tried to be inconspicuous, but the bright colours he wore might've ruined that.

"Trouble?" Citrix asked, walking over.

"Unfortunately," Robin replied. He handed the boy his notebook. "Monsters are attacking the country, I've been kidnapped, and on top of that, I'm being hunted by the Avengers. Who were the ones to kidnap me."

The brunette flipped through the book, briefly looking at the notes. He handed the book back to the other boy. "What can I do?"

"I need a distraction."

The Avengers were still roaming the streets in search for Robin Carter, someone who had information they needed to save the world. To an outsider, it probably seemed a little bit stalkerish, but it's the Avengers. What harm can they do? If you ask any of their haters, or the government, a lot.

An explosion halted their search. It came from the building closest to Steve. He called for his teammates to come help him check it out.

They didn't know that the building was completely vacant, aside from two people.

Citrix looked at the son of Zeus. "You sure this is going to work?" He asked, holding a dynamite stick. He already set off the other one.

Robin shrugged. "Not at all. I'm just..." He looked at the other boy in the eyes. "I'm tired of running. I just want to finish school, defeat this Asteroid guy, and settle down."

"That's a lot to ask as a Greek demigod," The brunette commented sadly.

Robin looked back towards the front. "Yeah, well, a boy can dream. Can't control my parentage now, can I?"

"Obviously not." Citrix shook his head, knowing how his friend felt. "Let's just get this over with. I promised my boyfriend I'd be back in New Rome by tomorrow morning."

The son of Zeus gave the signal, and they lit up their last dynamite stick. Robin directed the blow away from them with his powers, but it took an effort.

The Avengers burst into the room, just as Robin slipped out of view. In the boy's hand was a note, with an address, date and time scribbled onto it. He just had to sneak it to someone and leave. He needed to be fast. While Citrix had their attention, Robin snuck over to Wanda, tapped her on the shoulder and handed her the note. Without so much as another glance, he disappeared.

The man, whoever had been making the explosions go off, was gone, and nothing else happened after that.The Avengers decided to brush off the encounter - the authorities could handle it. With everyone getting tired, the team returned to the compound. Wanda wasn't sure when to bring up the note, but she decided it had to be soon. The date that was written was only a handful of days away. She knew they wouldn't let her go off alone, and if she asked them to come, they would want to come up with a whole plan to capture the boy.

Robin was an interesting person. He'd escaped them so many times, but for some reason, he kept coming back. It was clear that he had an attachment to Sam, but was that really why he stuck around?

"He can't turn invisible, can he?" Tony asked the team as they gathered around the table. Food was laid out on it, ready to be eaten. A few team members made it, the ones who could cook, at least. There was all kinds of food, salad, potatoes, chicken, etc.

"No, but... no," Clint replied, opting out of telling them that Robin could control wind too.

"Then how the hell does he keep disappearing?" The billionaire demanded as he filled his plate with whatever he could reach.

No one answered. No one knew how he did it. He shouldn't be that hard to find. He had pink hair, for crying out loud!

"Thor, can't you contact or track him with the whole lightning thing?" Steve asked, thinking that everyone who could control lightning can track each other. Spoiler alert, he's wrong.

"It doesn't work that way," Thor replied as he piled some chicken wings onto his plate.

"Yeah, Cap, it's not the force?" Tony said, despite knowing that the super soldier wouldn't understand the reference. "Probably," He then added to himself quietly.

"How else can we find him?" Bruce asked, not being able to see any new options.

Wanda chose that time to speak up and show them the note. She pulled it out of her pocket. "I have this."

"What is it?" Her brother asked.

"A magic communication paper?" Tony guessed.

"It's a note," Vision observed. Wanda nodded at him.

"He gave me this at the warehouse," She explained, showing them the messy writing. "It's a location and date."

Natasha took the note from her. She squinted, trying to read it. "How can this, of all things, be riddled with spelling mistakes?" She questioned.

Tony snatched it from her hands, holding it up in front of his face. "Is Wednesday spelled W-H-E-N-S-DAY?"

"Yes." Wanda said.

"It's a complicated word to spell," Clint defended the boy who wasn't even present.

"He did say he has dyslexia," Bruce added.

"I should go meet him," Wanda said, getting them back on track.

"It could be dangerous," Natasha told the other girl.

Sam sent her a subtle glare from across the table. "I thought we agreed he's a good person."

"Good people can hurt other people," The woman countered.

"He wouldn't hurt her."

"He hurt me before," Wanda admitted.

"He hurt me too," Pietro agreed.

"Yeah, me too," Clint said.

"He's pretty much beat all of us up," Tony told Sam.

"Don't go meet him, then," Steve said, in his Captain America "stand down" voice.

Wanda already knew they would say this. She knew she wouldn't be listening to them either way. She took the note back and put it back in her pocket. The subject was quickly changed, but the Maximoff girl couldn't get her friend out of her head.

After they ate, Wanda dragged her brother into her room. She would get him to come with her. Then they would sneak away at the meeting time, go to the location, and see what he wanted.

only sixteen more chapters until book two ;)