C H A P T E R ▪ 8

Home was where I most dreaded going and my bedroom wasn't the safest place and my kitchen wasn't somewhere where I could constantly binge on food and look at what was for dinner tonight. My house was a hellhole and this wasn't even a house, or my house. It was a place that we had moved to because my mom thought she would be happy, staying here with her new husband that she adored but she trusted too soon.

Out of the marriage with the asshole, she's only gotten a bitter taste of how much hate someone could have in order to ruin another. He's ruined my life and my mother's and Joey was the outcome of their nights, a child that is too innocent to be born to someone as cruel as the asshole. My mom loved her baby boy and vowed that she could keep him safe, and she would keep him safe but that only lasted for some time before she got caught up in drugs and alcohol; that's where she found the fun.

If the asshole and my mom never met, then there would have been a lot that wouldn't have happened but out of the things that wouldn't have happened, I think Joey was the most important. He's become such a huge impact in my life that I haven't realised how much he means to me and if he wasn't here then I wouldn't know how to live. If he wasn't here, then I would have given up a long time ago without another thought.

Looking at the little boy who has captured my heart from the second that he was born, I saw the smile on his face and the joy that danced in his eyes as he read his comic book that I had gotten for him while coming home from his school. It was something that I did every week, just for him and to be honest, I didn't mind losing those couple dollars to a couple comic books because I knew that if it made him happy, then it doesn't matter.

'Josey, you look sad again.' I blinked back the tears that I didn't even know had formed in my eyes before I looked down at Joey who was now sitting on the chair that was beside me. Smiling through my tears, I closed my eyes to push them back but some had managed to fall and slide down my cheeks but they were stopped by Joey's small hands that wiped them away. 'You shouldn't cry, it makes me sad.'

'Well, I definitely don't want to make my favourite little man sad so let me screw the smile on my face and look at your adorable one.' I said before pinching Joey's chubby cheeks making him try and get me away from him. Our little fun times were interrupted the time that I heard thunderous footsteps coming up the stairs making me look at Joey. 'Go hide.' I whispered and thankfully, he managed to hide just in time because a second later, the ass stepped into my room.

'The guys are coming tonight and there is no beer in the fridge.' He handed me a hundred dollar note before continuing his sentence. 'Go out and buy me a whole load and remember, I want the change back. If they think you're too young, you know what to do.' Nodding, I stuffed the money into my bra making the ass lick his lips.

'If that's all, you can go.' He chuckled at me before turning away and getting out of my room. I didn't dare ask if Joey could come with me because there was no way in hell that he would allow me so the only thing that I could do was ask one of the neighbours down the road to keep him for a little bit and this was the only person that I trusted to keep Joey, not ask questions or to bring him back home without me being there.

She was a kind elderly lady who loved children but sadly couldn't have any of her own and the second that she laid her eyes on Joey, I knew she was the person that I could trust the most out of anyone on this street. There was just something about her that made her seem so warm and Joey didn't ever complain about going to her house, in fact, he loved going to her house only because she gave him cookies...a lot of them.

'Joey, I'm going to drop you off at Jenny's house, okay?' I whispered to him as I snuck him out of the closet and put a coat on him before grabbing my own coat, making sure that everything was hidden and thankfully, I had put my make up on earlier so I was good to go. Once we made sure that it was okay to go, I literally ran down the stairs with Joey and went out the door before anyone noticed.