C H A P T E R ▪ 21

Joey was held close to me and there was nothing else that I wanted right now, than to go into the house and grab the money before any of the cops would get to it and I knew that there was a fair chance that they would get to the money and then bring it out for my step dad to see and then, they would bag it as evidence and later give it to him. There was no way that I was going to calm down unless I got to that money and got Joey out of here in time.

Some of the cops were looking at me oddly and I knew it was because of the clothes I was wearing and they were also probably thinking that I was doing drugs like my mother had done, but the thing that I was worried about was the fact that she didn't overdose and she was actually forced to overdose or something like that. I looked away from the officers and instead looked towards the asshole to see that he was leaning on his car, back facing everyone with his head in his arms, on the roof of his car.

I was tempted to go and ask him if he had anything to do with it, but I looked away from him and rubbed Joey's arms and that's when an idea came to mind, an idea so good that I shot out of my seat on the floor out of excitement. Picking Joey up, I placed him on my hips and walked closer towards the cops that were in front of the house and parted my lips to speak, 'Can I go in and get some warm clothes for my brother? I don't want him catching a cold of all things.'

The cops looked towards each other and Joey snuggled into me more and I could tell that not only was he tired, but he was hungry too and we have been here for over two hours. A couple seconds after, the cops nodded and let me go into the house, where there were more cops, but they only smiled at me sympathetically as I walked up the stairs and the normal scent of the house filled my nose, but as I got to the first floor, I could smell the heavy scent of weed and/or pot. For fuck's sake!

I made sure that Joey wasn't breathing a lot of the air in by putting his head on my shoulder and his nose towards my neck, as my hand was on his head so he was smelling the perfume on my wrist instead. When I got to my room, I looked down the hall to see the cops in the bedroom to the asshole's and my mom's bedroom, then quickly looked away knowing that, that was where my mom had been when she overdosed or someone overdosed her. I was quick to close the door to my bedroom and locked it.

Putting Joey on the bed, I looked into his sleepy eyes and smiled before pulling the covers off of my bed and tucking Joey in there. At least he will get a nap time for a couple minutes while I search for the money and get some clothes as well as some essentials. The cops would probably be suspicious as to why I was taking so long, but it didn't matter at this moment in time because I needed that money and everywhere was a good place to hide it if a cop came into this room. All I needed was a couple minutes.

I put my bag on the nearby chair before getting down onto my knees and pushing one of the floorboards so that it opened. There, the money was in an envelope and I didn't realize how packed the envelope was because now, it was almost ripping. Looking inside the envelope to make sure all the money was in there, I decided to grab one of Joey's coats from my wardrobe before stuffing it into the sleeve of it and then putting that into my bag. The only other thing I needed was Joey's clothes and some of mine, so I was going to put that in a bag

There was a chance that they might look through my suitcase and as small as it is, they would probably think I was doing drugs as well or maybe even have some kinky stuff in there, but lucky for them, it was only going to be clothes and essentials. Talking of essentials, I was going to need to take some of my make up and Joey's toothbrush as well as mine. However, as I thought about these things, I wondered where the hell we were going to go, but I was sure of the fact that I wasn't going to be going to wherever the asshole was going.

'Josey?' I popped my head out of the bathroom and looked towards the bed where Joey was looking at me while still laying down. 'Where's mommy?' My mouth hung open for a little while because I didn't think that Joey would ask where his mom was. I don't think that there was ever a time where he had called her "mommy" either, but I couldn't be sure because at this moment, I felt like my heart shattered into pieces because I couldn't tell him the truth.