C H A P T E R 45

The call came in this morning from Katya about me getting custody of Joey. I couldn't pick up the call though and was instead, directed by the voice message that was left on the phone, to call Katya and get the news from her. However, I had to wait pretty long in order to call her because today was one of those days where I didn't know whether Nate was going to go to work.

He had lost his position as one of the top cops and is doing desk work instead, something he hates and decides to take it out on me, constantly. The more drunk Nate gets, the more power he has when he hits me and I know it's not my fault, but this morning, I managed to fuck up and get hit in the face by him.

Nate literally threw the table upside down, grabbed my hair and socked me in the face. It apparently was because I didn't put enough milk onto the cereal that he was eating, causing him to get really pissed off at me and soon enough, I had ended up on the floor, clutching my face. We didn't have time to argue, or he didn't have the time to argue because he needed to get to work.

I knew he didn't have long left at the job, but there wasn't anything that I could do for him. My main concern was whether or not I was getting Joey back, but Nate obviously had to knock the phone down onto the floor before he left. My cell phone was the only other option, but he had broken it last week when one of the neighbours told him that Katya been over.

Of course, he tried to get me to tell him the truth, but I wouldn't dare utter a word to him about anything because I knew he would try ruining it. Nate would get what he wants because it was him that wants it. I hated that about him though because now, now I was going to have to take a risk decision in whether I was going to move into the apartment with Joey, or leave Joey with mom.

That is, if I had custody of him and won that battle. One thing that I didn't understand was why they didn't trust me, even after all the evidence checked out? I didn't even understand why they wouldn't let Joey back into my care because he was my brother and they would rather have a kid with someone they know, not a stranger.

Something in my mind had told me that it was either the asshole that was behind this, or it was Nate and I was pushing my chances and bets to Nate because as I have said before, the asshole is facing his karma, even though my mom is having to deal with him. The harsh truths of the life I lead were just that, harsh.

I sighed with relief once I had gotten the phone fixed and dialled Katya's number, reminding myself that I had to delete it from the house phone or else, Nate might find it and that meant even more punishments. Once, he tried to force me into having sex with one of his friends from the club, the only thing was that it was a woman and a part of me felt lust towards her, but she didn't look...sane.

'Katya?' I whispered slash yelled, just in case one of the neighbours heard me. All were very loyal of me and when it came to Nate, they would be his bitches and tell him exactly what I have been up to throughout the whole day and it wasn't something that I liked, but I managed to get used to it, especially the glares and bad looks from them.

'Setta? I can't talk right now, but I can tell you that you've wont he custody. However, I still need to go through some things with you and there is no point of me, going through it over the phone. I'll meet you at the cafe that you work at and I'm not sure what time I will be there, but I will be there.' My heart clenched with happiness and I feel like a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders.

However, after she had hung up, I couldn't help but feel this sickness in my throat because she had said she needed to talk to me about it. I'm pretty sure it was going to be about living arrangements and how I was going to stay through this, especially since I didn't want to press charges just yet against Nate, or things were going to blow up for sure.