C H A P T E R 43

Nate had left early for work the next morning, but I didn't hear him leave. Hell, I didn't hear anything come out of his mouth since coming home last night because my mind was focused on one thing and one thing only and I swear, it was the only thing that I could think abut to the point where it hurt my head. I barely reacted to anything that Nate did in bed last night and it almost made me feel bad because I just lay there as he...well, tried.

I sighed as I got out of bed, feeling my bones reject and moan because of the movement, but I needed to get things done today, just like every other days. Right now, I wasn't even sure whether I wanted to go back to the club tonight because I had seen him, plus it would be a waste of time considering that the money is going to waste.

There was no point in saving anything any more because Nate would find it and it would lead to even bigger troubles. I wasn't scared of him, I was just tired of what he would do, I was tired of caking my face with a lot of make up in order to hide the bruises that he would put on me. Calling the cops was pointless too because where the hell would I go and live with after that? This house wasn't even in my name and I couldn't even buy it!

I mean, I could go back to the apartment, but it was too risky. Mom might bring the asshole there and no part of me wishes to see him, at all even if he has a health problem right now. He was no longer my problem and he shouldn't be my mom's problem either, but she still "loved" him, so she couldn't leave him.

Getting Joey back is still her concern, but she gave up that dream to be with her son because the asshole was more important and I am trying, I am trying so hard to not give up. Now, I didn't have one thing to worry about, I had three in total and it seemed like the worries would never go away; they would just always come back to haunt me because I wasn't a good human being.

I might have started going to church, but what had that meant? Five years and I still had no hope at all in getting Joey back. In the eyes of the court, I wasn't fit to be a carer and guardian of Joey because of my job and the hours of it, but I promised them that this job wasn't going to be for a long time. They still refused to let me take care of him, put him into my care.

Therefore, I've had to work even more, even though it meant that I had to give up two jobs and rely on one. Everything was just a mess and that's why I couldn't keep myself motivated, as stupid as it sounded in my ears and my mind. I don't even know how long I was going to be able to keep going because at this rate, I was going crazy.

There was one good thing, I was allowed to see Joey since I was allowed to have a restraining order against the asshole. They believed that I was improving and even though they still think that I had something to do with the whole thing with my step dad, they allowed me to see my little brother, but there was a catch. I could only seem him twice a week, but that was enough for me for now.

I watched him grow up and he still knows me, but I feel that the longer he stayed at that place, the more miserable he got. He had even stopped drawing for a while, but then started up again, but he never told me why he did that. At eight years old, I felt like Joey had already hit puberty because he was getting more and more...mood swing-y.

Everyday, I had tried to get a job closer to home, but no one would give me a chance. Who would want a twenty three year old woman who graduated high school, just about? They told me I didn't have enough experience for the job and even with my resume looking good, they still felt like I wasn't good enough for them. I was still trying though.

We had a laptop where I would try to do online courses, but I ended up having to stop because the amount of bills that we had to pay was getting a little out of hand, so Nate stopped the internet broadband thing.

The only thing that I could do in the mornings was get up, clean up after Nate, clean up the house or get dressed and go find a job, someone who was willing to hire me. Today, I had planned it to go to a local cafe and ask if they had any vacancies for anyone wanting to be a barista. This was something that I had been looking into and I even had asked one of them if the pay was good.

They didn't need much experience or anything for the job, but I needed to know how much they paid, that was all I cared about and pretty much everyone else. However, when I did get to the cafe, I saw more than enough people working here and I was about to turn around and go home out of defeat, but the girl whom I asked if the pay was good turned me around and walked me to the boss' office.

'Thank you.' I said to her as I walked in, not noticing who exactly was sitting there. After the girl had gone, I turned my head and a scream almost left my throat when I saw Perla sitting there, same expression as I had on. 'What the hell are you doing here?' We both said at the same time, more than said actually, shouted at each other more like.

'I'm here for a job interview...oh no, please don't tell me you're fucking the boss?' I asked and I swear, there was smoke coming out from her ears when I had said that. 'No. I'm actually the manager of this place, meaning I'm the boss! Even though daddy owns this place.' She said, sweetly, at the end making me roll my eyes because she still depended on her father.

'Well, obviously, that's not going to be fair considering that you hate my guts, even if it's been over five years since I saw your face.' She made a sound at the back of her throat before calming down and leaning back on her chair, putting her hands over her stomach as she looked at me. 'Sometimes I wonder why you're so low down, then I remember that you're a slut. But, I can give you a chance.'

My eyes lit up with surprise and shock that she would actually let me still do an interview with her, but I couldn't help but ask, 'Why?' She sighed and pushed her chair back, walking over slowly to the other side of her desk so she was a little closer to me. 'It's because we're running short of staff and we need as many staff as possible, since it is getting into the busier seasons. Who am I kidding? It's always busy.' She laughed, but I stayed silent.

The interview lasted about ten to fifteen minutes and it was beyond gruesome considering that I wasn't ready for the questions she was giving me. 'You've got the job. I like the resume, by the way.' I tried to smile kindly at her, but I don't think that it came out that way, making her sigh. 'I honestly hope we become friends again and move on from what happened during high school. For all it's worth, I'm sorry.' I nodded my head.

'It's going to take me a while to process that through my mind, but when it does, I'll be sure to accept the apology.' I said, then got up, heading towards the door. We didn't even say goodbye to each other because there was no point. I got what I came here for and I got the job as well as everything that I needed; she said that my uniform would be ready for me tomorrow and there was hope again for me.

When I walked out of the cafe, I started to head back home, hoping that Nate wasn't home. If he was, then he for sure would have questioned where I was and if I ended up saying that I got a new job, he would take money from me. I hated that about him because he might have almost been on the verge of losing his job, but he still shouldn't be stealing money from me.

'Hey.' I turned around and saw Drew, confused as to why he was here. 'You don't have to talk to me, just take this.' He took my hand and instantly, sparks flew from the touch as he handed me a small card. 'Do whatever it takes to get him back and make you happy. Those bruises aren't hidden away from my eyes, Josette.'