C H A P T E R 35

As the days passed, I got more private and I started to live in my old little world where I was thinking about myself, but that ended soon because there were nothing to think about by the next half of the week. I had managed to get myself a job and that may have been why I kept to myself these days because it was either working at the cafe down town or it was doing homework.

Of course, there was my stress reliever, Nate but he and I haven't been talking for a bit because he's been busy with his work too. I didn't mind that because after what happened with Drew, it all kind of clicked to me about what I was doing and I felt so ashamed of myself, but that didn't mean that I didn't stop completely.

I was just doing things that I wanted to do right now and I was happy with that. The person that I've been feeling sorry for though, was Joey. He's the one that I used to spend most of my time with and now, now he's either drawing in his room or he was playing with the twins, but that had decreased by so much. He was soon going to be moving up at school, getting older; four years old.

Sighing, I continued to wipe the last table clean, making sure it was spotless enough so that the manager could maybe raise my wage. Highly doubted it though because he's had to get rid of some people at the cafe and that was never good. I had been looking for another job, but luck wasn't that good to me and the only place that I could think about right now was bar tending.

It was a long shot, but once I was eighteen, I would be able to get more money. My next option was to go to the library, but I had to get my clothes a little more...appropriate, which I have been doing and it's an honest success. The ladies at the library still don't like me because of me kind of, used to be occupation, but there was a little bit of me that wanted to try my best to try work there.

More money meant more to save and soon enough, we would be able to get out of Drew's house because things were getting even more awkward than they should do. I didn't like living there because I didn't have anything to give back to them and I was out most of the time, making Drew probably think that I was out fucking a bunch of guys.

Least I was doing more than he would ever do; I caught him smoking weed in his room when I offered to do the laundry, then he came home while kissing some girl and yes, there was a knot in my stomach, something that made me feel envious of that girl but I tried my best to ignore her. It worked in the end because Drew looked at me, almost smirking at he had kissed the girl.

'For fuck's safe!' I muttered as I threw the cloth down onto the table and then gripped the sides, trying to get my anger in check. Picking up the cloth, I went to the back and put it where it was supposed to go then changed out of the uniform. It was pretty early still, around eight, but I decided to work over hours, extra money.

I had a long time to think about my decision and I finally decided that I would take Joey to see mom, maybe that would make it up to him. Of course, something must have been telling me that it wasn't exactly a good idea because I saw my dad up ahead, waiting outside. Guess that my life had to be filled with something new, didn't it?

Before walking out, I made sure to turn the lights off then entering the code for the alarm, so that when the cafe door would shut, the locks would click in place. I walked outside, slipping on my jacket because there was a little breeze outside, but nothing that I couldn't handle. My dad caught me and I smiled at him as he smiled at me.

He has called me once or twice, but said that he was busy so he might not be able to call the whole time, which I said was okay because I didn't know how to feel about having him around a lot, but if it wasn't going to be frequent visits, then I guess I was going to be okay with it. I mean, I lived with it for quite a bit of time, so I would be able to be okay with it if it changed to no visits...wouldn't I?

'Hey, I was just going to go home.' I said to him. He smiled down at me and nodded. 'I could drop you off home if you want?' He questioned and I nodded, trusting him enough to drop me home and not take me anywhere else. 'Don't you have to get home to your family?' I asked him, knowing that it would make things between us a little more awkward, but who cared.

We got in the car and it was silent for a bit, even after he turned on the engine and started driving. 'I know that you don't find it comfortable that I have another family, but you're going to have to understand that I can't undo the past and I don't wish to because...I just don't want there to be bad blood between us.' He said to me and I nodded my head.

'I'm going to go see mom, with Joey.' I said and he scrunched up his eyebrows. Why don't you go on his own?' Something in my twitched, maybe it was just the thought of seeing her by myself without Joey, especially since the asshole would be there. 'No, I'm going because Joey wants to go, I know he wants to go.' I said to him, wanting to make him understand.

'Right. I just don't see why a three year old would want to see his mom, considering that he hasn't spoken about her.' I scoffed and turned my head to look out the window. 'Just like you said, he's three years old. He doesn't need to say about not wanting to see his mom, so please, mind your own business about what you think about my brother.' I said and from then till when he dropped me home, it was silent between the two of us.

Soon after I had got out of the car, my dad looked at me with a small smile. 'I'll call you.' He said and I only responded with turning around and walking away from him and towards the house. As soon as I had stepped in, I could smell the sweet aroma of cupcakes and guessed that the kids were making something, but judging by the smoke alarm, something had burnt.

I walked in there and stopped quickly when I saw that it was only Katya who was watching over the kids and teaching them how to bake. She stood by the oven and she mixed things, making the kids laugh and the one thing that I saw on her face, reflected onto my own. A smile. She was smiling broadly as she was teaching the kids and something I learnt from her, she loved to bake.

She loved children, she wanted to have a bunch of children, but with her profession, there were many risks. I remember when Katya told me that she dreamed of getting out from where she was and hoping to have many children with one guy, but she had failed on her first try. Although, I don't think she regretted her decision in having her baby girl, whom I still have to meet.

'Hey.' I snapped out of it and saw all four people looking at me and I smiled brightly at all of them, even though I really wasn't in that mood to smile and be jolly. 'I thought that I could talk to Joey for a bit, maybe asks if he wants to go and see his mom?' I asked smiling at him. His eyes lit up when I said that and he instantly ran to me, saying bye to the others.

Joey was really excited to go and I was still thinking that maybe, maybe this was a good thing. I had a feeling within me that was telling me that it was good, like it was a gut feeling. Anyway, Joey came rushing downstairs, wearing really odd clothes, but he said he wanted to dress himself so I let him and this is what the outcome was.

Well, there was no going back because Joey was literally dragging me to the door. However, when I opened it, the smile on my face had dropped and so had my face because as soon as I opened the front door, I was met with the figure of Drew...and his new slut. Swiftly, I passed him and I was proud of myself for riaisng my head back, but not looking at him.

Throughout the whole walk there, I had my hands in my pockets as Joey continued to talk about what he was going to say to mom and how he was going to apologise for not bringing her a gift and he said he was also going to promise her that he was going to make something or even draw something, for her so that he wouldn't be sad and I just couldn't stop watching him talk happily.

However, the happiness stopped quite soon because we saw cop lights up ahead and when I saw where it was, I walked closer, holding Joey's hand. He looked as confused as I did and I prayed that it wasn't my mom. People were coming out of their homes to see what was going on and we waited, we waited for so damn long until finally, my dream came true.

'Josey, what's happening?' I heard Joey ask from next to me and I looked down at him, smiling because I couldn't believe that this was happening and even though there was no verdict on how long he was going to stay in jail, he was getting arrested. The asshole, he was getting arrested. 'Nothing, sweetie. Daddy is just going for a trip with the cops, a good trip.' I looked at Nate and he smiled at me.

Things were looking up, weren't they? They were going to get better, more than I had ever hoped because one thing that I knew for sure, we were safe. But for how long?