C H A P T E R ▪ 14

It has been an hour since Drew brought Joey in and said he wanted to talk to me, but I was stuck on if I should go and talk to him or not because something about telling him a lie, just didn't set well with me. Telling him the truth was not an option and that feeling inside me wouldn't go away because I kept thinking about how Drew had invited us to stay over at his house and it didn't seem right to lie to him. So here I was, wondering what to tell him and tossing and turning while Joey was sleeping like a little baby.

Sighing, I carefully got out of bed. The faster that I got this finished, the faster I got back into bed and have a good night's sleep, ready to face the crap in the morning. Although, it wasn't seeming as I hoped it to be right now because of the chills running through me and the cold floor, didn't help me one bit either and it was almost like this was a sign that the world was telling me not to go and talk to Drew, but I knew my answer and excuse couldn't be that I fell asleep.

So there I was, continuing to walk while trying to not wake anyone up and that didn't look as if it was that hard considering that the floor boards weren't as creaky as the ones that we had at home. God, thinking about that place and comparing it to here, this place just seemed like Heaven even if the family wasn't as stable as Drew had told me. If I lived in a house like this with a life like Drew's, then I would be happy but the two of us lived different lives.

Different lives meant different experiences. However, no one was going to find out about my experiences and I was going to make sure that Joey and I live in a stable condition while mom goes to rehab then maybe, no one will ever find out and that seemed like a plan that was going to stick with me because that's the only sane plan that I could come up with other than killing Perla.

My plans and thoughts vanished from my mind when it felt even more chillier and I was about to find out why by following the smell of cigarettes that led somewhere to the part of the house that I didn't see when I came in and that was the backyard. I continued to walk towards there and rubbed my shoulders to get some kind of warmth within me.

'Drew?' I saw him by the pool, smoking and staring down at the pool intently and I don't think he herd me until I touched his shoulder. Literally in a second, he had grabbed my wrist and pulled me forward, onto the floor where my back met with the hard... thing that felt like cement? 'Don't do that, Josette.' Drew muttered before letting go of my wrist, so that I could sit up properly. I muttered an apology to him and he nodded his head as a gesture but then when he did do that, he didn't look at me.

'What did you want to talk to me about?' I asked, sitting in a more comfortable position next to him. Drew breathed in and breathed out a deep sigh of smoke before looking at me and when I meant looking at me, I meant that he was looking at the bruises on my face. 'If you're going to ask about the bruises, it's because I felt down the stairs after tripping over one of Joey's toys. It hurt like hell, thanks for asking.' I said, smiling towards the end so he didn't catch the lie.

'Did you go to the hospital?' He questioned and let me tell you something, I did not like questions, at all. So I was still in my acting mode when I turned to look at him and I gave him a deadpanned look. 'It's obvious that we need to get to know each other a little more because I dislike going to the doctors, or the hospital and I honestly do hate to take medicine but I still take painkillers for the pain in my neck.' I said, which was true and the image of me in the bathroom at school, came back to me.

'I've seen the stairs in your place and the tumble that you took, should have caused even more damage to you but I guess I should be happy that you didn't take anymore serious injuries to yourself.' Should I be surprised that he believed my lie? Or should I be surprised at the fact that he was being nice to me when it came to my bruises?