C H A P T E R 48

Two months does a lot to change a lot of people and for me, it definitely has done a lot of improvement. Joey's company was one thing, but then adding Drew to the factor of it was a lot different to what I had expected, solely because everything was so much more happier and the best thing about this was that I didn't have that fear within me that something bad was going to happen.

I guess there was something that I should be scared of, like whether or not Nate comes and finds me, which he might do, but it's been a whole two months and there was no news of him. Drew had promised me that he wouldn't go out and find Nate for himself, something I really wanted to believe, but I knew that he would eventually succumb to his anger and beat him up. I just didn't know when.

Sighing, I looked down at the cupcake batter we made, then looked at Joey who mirrored the same expression as I did. 'You think these are going to be better than the last ones?' I questioned the boy in front of me. He had lost some of the chubbiness in his cheeks and the colour of his eyes were more vibrant, the older he had gotten and the worst part was him growing taller. My baby brother.

'Yeah!' He said enthusiastically, something I missed. 'Least we'll have the time right this time around and not put it on an hour instead of ten minutes.' I rolled my eyes playfully at him because he knew that I had made the mistake. Chuckling, I took the tray filled with the cupcake batter and then put it in the oven, safely with a oven glove thing in my hands.

The heat of the oven almost blew me away because of how hot it was, but I managed to put it in and then close the door before stepping back and sighing with relief. 'Now, to set the timer at the right time and then we'll go and lick the batter off of the bowl.' He nodded excitedly at me and I grinned back at him, wondering if we should wait for Drew to come back and eat the cupcakes with us or not.

Drew hadn't moved in with us and he still lived at his apartment, something he didn't like because he said he rarely went there because of his work and says it was a waste of money and that he should have continued to live back at the house with the twins. Drew had also said something about wanting to talk to me about something, but I wasn't quite sure what he wanted to talk to me about.

Honestly, nothing much had gone on between the two of us because I've been so busy with Joey and if I didn't have Joey with me (meaning he's at school) then I would be working and it wasn't at the club any more, it was still at the cafe that Perla owned. I was trying to get back into school and graduate college or university maybe, but I didn't know what I wanted to do.

Helping people was an option, but they weren't going to give me a job without having any educational experiences and achievements. So that was why I was planning to do, go to university and do online courses so that I could help people that are in my situation. That was a little too far ahead for me to think about now, especially since I just got Joey back.

Shaking my head, I turned my head to hear that someone was knocking on the door, so I walked over to the oven and looked at how much of it was done and it pretty much looked done. I walked towards the door, wondering if it was Drew because he normally came here around four to help out with Joey and I didn't mind because Joey liked having Drew here and sometimes he even brought the twins too.

However, I had to stop short because the timer was beeping and I was scared that Joey was going to open the oven to try the cupcakes. So I had to walk back to the kitchen and turn off the timer, then the oven and I made sure that Joey wouldn't touch it, then I walked back to the front door in hopes that it was Drew.

To my surprise, it actually wasn't Drew who was at the front and my deepest fears set in because I didn't see the signs. Nate was standing in front of me with a smirk on his face, making me rush to close the front door, but I was too late and he burst in through the door. 'Joey, go get my phone and go to your room, call Drew!' I shouted and he didn't waste any time in doing so.