C H A P T E R ▪ 22

There should have been a couple things that I should have done before coming out here and thinking that it was going to be okay in meeting my mother, who was at the hospital. Number one should have been, change shoes because there was no way that I was going to make it to the hospital in three inch heels, number two was changing into warmer clothes, something I had failed to do and number three was to bring some change and cash. That way, walking to the hospital would have been the neater thing to do and I wouldn't have struggled.

However, I was halfway through to walking to the hospital, but that didn't mean that I wasn't freezing my butt off and my feet didn't hurt; they were hurting like hell and I couldn't stop chattering! The only reason I wish that I brought change, was so that people didn't get suspicious as to why I had that much cash on me and I was dressed like the whore I was. Not only that, but the way I was walking, I knew there was a possibility of me getting jumped around here or worse, getting kidnapped and raped.

Shuddering, I tried to get those thoughts out of my head, but the more that I walked, the more cold I was and the thoughts of being raped were frozen in my head and it was like they couldn't get out. So I tried to think about what the hell I was going to ask my mother once I got to the hospital and if I got the answers I wanted, what the hell was I going to do after that? I mean, there was a small chance that I could call Drew and tell him to pick me up from the hospital.

Then again, he would and could question me about why I was at the hospital and I couldn't say that my mom had a hangover because I painted a pretty little picture for him that my parents were hard working people who did a lot for their jobs and left their two children to fend for themselves. Whatever it was going to be, I didn't have a lot of time to think about it and maybe, just maybe, I would be warm enough in the hospital to think about what my options would be and carry on from there.

When I finally had gotten to the hospital, I was right for only two seconds about the warmth. It greeted you once you got through the sliding doors, but from then on it was just cold, but thankfully, it wasn't as cold as what it was outside and that was beyond freezing. I went to the receptionist and as per usual, she was busy on the phone, trying to respond to others and since there were three receptionist people, I had to figure out which one to go to. So I decided to go to the nicest looking one.

'Hi, I'm here to see m-' She held up her finger, practically ordering me to wait so I did as was asked, but as time was passing by, I was getting fed up. However, just before I could open my mouth and say that she was wasting my fucking time, there was another voice coming from nearby and was calling my name. I turned around and saw the officer from earlier, standing there and waving at me to come over to him. I stepped away from the desk and made my way to him, not knowing whether it was a good idea or not.

'How did you get here so fast?' I questioned, raising my eyebrows up at him, but I could probably answer my own damn question because it took me a long time to get here. 'It was probably me who took long, right?' He nodded at me before chuckling and we ended up walking to where I was presuming, my mother's hospital room. There was barely any talk between the two of us and it seemed like if there was anything to talk about, it would be about my mother's "drug addiction", I knew she had one.

'The doctors had to pump out her stomach, so she may look really pale and ill, but she's stable.' He told me and I nodded, knowing how this worked already because we got taught this at school ages ago. I walked into my mother's room with Officer DeAngelis behind me and the second that I saw my mother on the hospital bed, I wanted to cry. It was a dramatic thing to do for me, I know, but looking at her laying there lifeless, compared to what she was before she met the asshole. It honestly was a surprise how things quickly had changed.