Chapter 36: Welcome Home

Blake's POV
Menagerie Docks

Blake and Sun had just arrived at the island of the Faunus race, Menagerie.  Sun has never been, so he's taking in all of the sights.

Sun:  "Ah...  Look at all the Faunus!  I've never seen so many in one place before!"

Blake:  "Yup.  This is the one place everyone can feel safe,  no matter who or what they are."

Sun:  "Wow."  He looks around some more.  "Sure is, uh, crowded, isn't it?"

Blake:  "Yeah.  Yeah it is."  she says with a disappointed look on her face.

As they're walking through the streets, Sun's, of course, complaining.

Sun:  "Is it always so... cramped?"

Blake:  "Well, when you try and take an entire species and put them on an island that's two-thirds desert, yeah, it tends to be cramped."

Sun:  "Woah woah woah, there's that much more space?  Why waste it?  A little desert never hurt anyone!"

Blake:  "It's not like the desert in Vacuo, Sun.  The wildlife is more ferocious and more dangerous here than most other regions."

Sun:  "So, they gave us a terrible island in the corner of Remnant to try and shut us up?  Do I have it right?"

Blake:  "That's a pretty good summary, yeah."

Sun:  "Huh.  Jerks."

They keep walking and talking through the city.

Blake:  "We've tried to make the best of things."

Sun:  "Woah..."

They look off into the distance and see the natural beauty of the city

Blake:  "This is Kuo Kuana."

Sun:  "It's... beautiful.  I take it all back.  This place looks great!  Why would anyone ever want to leave?"

She turns to him, seemingly angry.

Blake:  "That's not the point!  We asked to be equal, to be treated just like everyone else.  Instead, we were given an island and told to make do.  So we did the best we could.  We came together and we made a home where any Faunus could feel welcome.  But this island, this town, will always be a reminder that we're still not equal.  That we're still second class citizens."

Sun:  "You know, Y/N told me his thoughts on the matter once."

Blake:  "Oh yeah?  And what did he say?"

Sun:  "Yeah.  He said that given the prejudices of the people at the time, this might've been the best solution then and I think he's right. Besides, I'm feeling pretty at home myself."

Blake:  "Maybe you guys are right, but it still doesn't feel fair.  *sigh* Alright.  Time to go home."

Sun:  "Oh yeah?  Which one's yours?  Can you see it from here?"