Chapter 39: A Much Needed Talk

Ruby's POV

After taking care of Tyrian and getting out of Oniyuri, Team RNJR and Qrow set up camp, where Qrow tells them all about the Maidens and what they wanted Pyrrha to do.  Qrow takes a drink from his flask while everyone else is stunned.

Qrow:  "Really?  No questions?"

Jaune:  "Of course we have questions.  This is just... a lot to take in."

Qrow:  "Sure, of course."

Jaune's looking at Qrow in contempt and confusion.  Everyone's silent until Ruby speaks.

Ruby:  "So these... Maidens... They're powerful fighters that don't need Dust to use magic."

Qrow:  "Yeah."

Nora:  "And there are four of them?"

Qrow:  "Yup.  Always."

Ren:  "Which means that, whenever one of them dies, the power transfers to some - a female - that they care about?"

Qrow:  "Whoever was in their thoughts last.  Important distinction.  Best option, someone we can trust.  Regardless, their souls become combined, in a way."

Jaune:  "And that's what you were trying to do to Pyrrha the night the tower fell.  You were trying to turn her into one of them."

Qrow:  "The previous Fall Maiden, Amber, has been attacked. She was young, inexperienced.  And her assailant, who we now know as Cinder, somehow managed to steal some of her power, but not all of it.  We were afraid that if we didn't do something, the rest would go to her as well."

Jaune:  "...So you forced it on Pyrrha."

Qrow:  "We didn't force anything. We explained the situation and gave her a choice, and she chose.  You were there, you heard her."

Jaune:  "And now she's in Atlas because she knows too much, probably being brainwashed by Ironwood."

He gets up and walks away from them.  Qrow goes back to staring at the ground.

Ruby:  "That guy, Tyrian.  Why was he after me?"

Qrow:  "*sigh* Well, you definitely painted a target on your back with what you did at Beacon.  I told you having silver eyes is a rare trait.  So much so that you, your mom, and Y/N are the only ones I know that do, and I've been all over Remnant.  The fact that you're someone that was able to use them seems to have upset some very powerful people.  Not many people know about the silver eyes.  But those that do aren't very happy that one has surfaced.  That's why we've been keeping an eye on you.  To make sure you were safe.  All of you."

Ruby:  "Well, then, why not just travel with us?  That must've been easier."

Jaune:  "He was using you as bait."

Qrow:  "I wouldn't put it like that; it's... complicated.  And don't get mad at Y/N either.  He was against it once I told him."

Ren:  "Speaking of Y/N, where is he?  From the sound of it, he was traveling with you."

Qrow:  "My guess is that after I left him to defend you guys from that nutcase, he was also attacked.  He said something about having a companion after all.  He and Neo should be here somewhere."

Y/N's POV

You wake up, no longer in your armor.  You look around and see that you're in a tent somewhere.  Neo's in a bed next to yours.  You try to get up, but your body aches.

???:  "Feeling better?"

You look at the entrance of the tent and see Raven.

Y/N:  "Raven?  What are you doing here? How did you know I was in danger?  Where's Loke?"