Chapter 38: Punishment and Consequence

Oscar the Farmhand's POV

Oscar was done with his daily chores and was now reading a book in his room.

Oscar's Aunt: "Oscar, supper's almost ready!"

Oscar: "What're we having?"

Oscar's Aunt: "Doesn't matter! You're eating it!"

Oscar: "I never agreed to these terms!" he says playfully.

Oscar's Aunt: "It's part of the 'Living Under My Roof' contract. Read the fine print and come wash up!"

He closes the book, looks up at the ceiling, then gets off of his bed. He starts walking towards the door, but stops at a voice.

Ozpin (in Oscar's mind): 'We have to leave.' Oscar ignores him and keeps walking. 'Oscar. Oscar!'

Oscar reaches for the door, but retracts at the last second, closing his eyes while doing so.

Oscar: "I've decided you're not real, so you might as well just give up."

Ozpin: 'I understand how you're feeling. I went through the same panic and confusion.'

Oscar goes back to his bookshelf and starts putting his books away to keep his mind off of the voice in his head.

Oscar: "It's not real. It's not real. It's not real." he repeats over and over to convince himself.

He gets up and looks at his reflection in the window.

Ozpin: 'I can assure you, you're perfectly sane.'

Oscar: "I'm talking to a voice in my head."

Ozpin: 'I said you were sane. I never said normal.' Oscar heads for the door. 'There's quite the significant difference between-'

Oscar: "Shut up! You think this is funny? It's not."

Ozpin: 'We are in complete agreement in that matter, I promise you. Believe me, I wish this weren't the case. But as I've told you, our Aura, our souls, are combined.'

Oscar: "...I'm done listening to you."

Ozpin: 'Have you ever been to Haven?' he says inquisitively.

Oscar: "I told you I'm not going, and I told you I'm done listening."

Ozpin: 'Do you think you could describe the headmaster's office?'

Oscar: "No. why would I know that? I've never seen-"

Ozpin: "Try. Right now."

Oscar scoffs at this, but decides to humor him.

Oscar: "It's probably..." He looks as if he's in a trance. "It's autumn colored... with a large mahogany desk. There's a small table and chairs in the corner for guests... with a tea set that... I... I gave him." He snaps out of his trance and puts his hand on his head. "Why did I say that? Why do I know that? Why did I say that?"

Ozpin: 'Because I helped build that school and the tea set was a gift to the man running it now.'

Oscar goes back to sit on his bed, holding his head in frustration and confusion.

Ozpin: 'If you don't believe me, you can look it up. If I recall, your aunt has several books on Mistral downstairs. I'm certain you could find a picture in one of them."

Oscar: "That... that's right, I must've seen it in a picture."

Ozpin: 'Oscar..."

Oscar: "Stop talking to me!" he shouts.