Chapter 54: The Perfect Storm

Raven's POV

As she was sharpening her weapon in her tent, thinking about the events to come, Vernal opens up the curtain of the tent.

Vernal: "Raven, we have a problem."

Raven: "What is it?"

Vernal: "Salem's found us."

Raven's eyes open wide in shock.

Raven: "Salem. Okay."

Vernal: "Five of her followers are waiting to speak with you."

Raven: "Right. We planned for this. Bring me my helmet."

Vernal does as she's commanded, and Raven gets ready to speak to the five intruders in her camp. She dons the helmet and goes outside to greet them. Cinder, Emerald, Mercury, Dr. Watts, and Gilda.

Raven: "I don't recall inviting so many guests into our home." she addresses to the tribe. "Either I'm losing my memory, or you've all lost your spines!"

Cinder: "Don't be too upset with them, Raven. Your men simply recognize the power of a Maiden when they see it." Her eye glows fiery as she displays that she is, in fact, a Maiden. "Which is why we'd like to have a word with you." Her glowing eye fades to demonstrate that she's not here to fight.

Raven: "Leave us." she tells the tribe. "Pack your things, then break down camp. We're moving."

The tribe does as she commands, leaving her alone with the five.

Dr. Watts: "A little late to run and hide. You've been on our master's list for some time, so you must understand that we cannot allow you to slip away."

Raven: "I know all about your master, but I don't believe we've met."

She descends the stairs to meet them eye to eye, at least, as much as possible with the helmet on.

Mercury: "We're the guys you should be afraid of." he states with confidence.

Raven: "I doubt anyone should be afraid of you." she remarks condescendingly.

Mercury: "Oh yeah? Tell that to-"

Cinder: "Quiet." She silences him.

Raven: "That's what I thought."

Cinder: "I'm Cinder Fall. This is my associate, Arthur Watts. My disciples, Emerald and Mercury. And-"

Gilda: "I can speak for myself. My name is Gilda Pyrite. I am one of King Loke's commanders."

Raven: "Two children you've tricked into following you, a disgraced Atlesian scientist, the commander to a false king, and a Fall Maiden with a surname so appropriate, she probably picked it herself." Gilda starts fuming. "Something tells me you've got more than a slight case of egomania. Is that about right?"

Gilda: "You shall not insult Loke like-"

Cinder puts up her arm to stop her. As it stands, Cinder's the most powerful of their forces present, so she has no choice but to defer to her authority.

Dr. Watts: "Ahem. Uh, technically I was also a doctor, but I must say the rest was spot-on."

Cinder: "Aren't you perceptive?" she compliments Raven.

Raven: "It's what's kept me alive."

Cinder: "I'm afraid the only reason you're still alive is because you have something our master wants. Of course, if I'm wrong..." She summons a fireball in her right hand as a threat.

Raven: "Vernal!" she calls.

Vernal steps out of the tent and descends down the steps, standing next to Raven.