Into The Serpent's Den

The Score - Who I Am

That's who I am, oh

I'm a poet and a soldier

I am young and growing older

Without hope, but I'm a dreamer

I'm the cure, and I'm the fever

A/N: Executive dysfunction be like: writer's block x2

Last night, you had heard movement outside of your door, of footsteps that were heavier than any of the regular ninja. Except for one... or maybe two. Wary as you were at that moment the sheets of your comfortable bed had been too inviting to resist. But now you can't ignore it.

Slipping out of your bed, the warmth ebbed from your (s/c) skin, the wheelchair waiting for you to sit down on it. However, something in the corner of your eye caught your interest. A small slip of paper sat discreetly tucked beneath the door.

The bones in your legs might as well have been jelly with how you dragged yourself over to it, picking it up to read.

Dear (Y/n),

I saw what happened in control, would you like to talk about it?

Sincerely, Zane.

You couldn't help but feel a bit light-headed. Folding it up, you stuffed it in your pocket.

''Mx (Y/n), you came to talk?" Zane questioned, sitting on his bed as you wheeled into the room. He was the only one in there, as the others were currently training on the deck.

Your gaze briefly met his, stomach-churning in response to the thought as to what he would ask next. ''Yes.'' You finally answered, keeping your distance. The nindroid seemed to notice this, a small look of disappointment appearing on his face before it went back to being neutral.

''All this time... you were the Orange Ninja?" His question made you shuffle uncomfortably in your wheelchair. A few seconds passed and you nodded. ''I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable, (Y/n). I did not wish to do that.'' Zane's apology almost caught you off guard.

You let out a sigh, thinking. ''The idea of letting others find out is... frightening for some reason. I'm surrounded by humans, and yes, I know some of them well but there's this little voice in my head telling me I'd have the wake-up call of my life if I revealed it.'' It was hard to control the words that spilled from your mouth, so you took a sharp inhale once you finished, staring at Zane with anticipation.

''You can tell me.'' Zane's gentle reply came. He smiled, opening the chest panel to show his inner workings. You stared at it, unsure of what to say next.

''I... I'm not ready yet.'' You admitted, averting your gaze.

There was a knock on the door before Zane could add anything else. ''Hey, I need to get my Fritz Donnegan comics!'' Lloyd called out. The nindroid closed the chest panel, getting up and grabbing the comics left on the floor. Opening the door, he handed them to Lloyd who took them and left.

Once he had closed the door, Zane sat on the bed, silent. Eager to break the silence, you pulled out your sketchbook, flicking through it before stopping on the page with the falcon sketch. You gave it to the blond-haired nindroid, whose eyes widened as he took in each detail, studying it closely.