Ninja ''Survive'' Real Life

Twenty-One Pilots - Stressed Out

Used to dream of outer space

But now they're laughing at our face saying

"Wake up, you need to make money", yeah

Wish we could turn back time

To the good old days

A/N: Paragraphs 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 11 are where your bold 'friends' are. Also, sorry for the wait! I got carried away...

Above the door, a wooden sign read 'Paws 'N' Effect', dirtied at the edges. The door creaked open. Slowly, you crept in, warily eyeing your surroundings while ensuring your wheelchair made no sound. You released a relieved sigh, heading further in.

One of the wheelchair tyres squeaked against the wooden flooring. A shadow fell on your back, making you freeze up. You gulped, closing your eyes as you await your fate.

''It's only me!'' A cheery voice made you open your eyes. You could've sworn you jumped in your seat as an old man with copper-coloured eyes and greying hair sharing your (s/t) skin stepped into view.

''Why do that, Grandpa?!" You almost yelled, remembering to lower your voice at the last second.

''Sometimes it's fun to have a surprise.'' Your grandfather's eyes gleamed mischievously at the idea. At the same time, you pretended to scoff at him, crossing your arms with a fake pout. He quickly saw through this, poking one of your ticklish spots and making you crack up.

You batted him away with a hand, your grandfather stepping back to give you your space as you remembered something. ''I'm sorry I haven't seen you in a while...'' You looked at the ground.

''I've been doing fine, no need to worry about me.'' Your grandfather attempted to give you a warm smile but it only seemed to be forced as you looked up at him, frowning. You wheeled past him, towards one of the dog kennels.

A yip sounded from the kennel, a dark red-furred head with a long snout, drooping ears and beady eyes staring back at you from behind the confines of the cage. Footsteps that seemed to be your grandfather came in your direction, stopping when he was at your side as he knelt, a kind smile on his face.

''Hey there, Merlot.'' Your grandfather slowly put his hand forward between the bars to greet the greyhound pup, who stared at his hand briefly before gently licking it. He withdrew his hand, extending his other one as the bag of dog treats rustled. The pup grew excited at this, staring at the bag of goodies.

Your grandfather looked at you, holding out the bag of goodies. Blankly you stared at them before realising what he wanted you to do. Chuckling nervously you took the bag, undoing the zipper and grabbing a handful of treats. You lowered your hand as best as possible, allowing Merlot to snatch the food and wolf it down.

''You named this one after wine.'' A huff exited your mouth, wheeling back a bit to look at your grandfather. He cheekily smiled at you, shaking his head.

''No, his original owners named him that. They already had a retired greyhound so they wanted to give the pup away.'' Your grandfather explained. Merlot lay down whilst staring at you behind the bars of the kennel's cage, then tilted his head at you.

Dogs weren't like this towards you. Usually, when you were near one, it'd start barking and trying to get to you no matter the breed. Perhaps greyhounds were different. Indifferent.