Landlubbers Beware

The Crane Wives - Counting Sheep

Something in you's fast asleep

Afraid to be who you will be

It's a losing battle, so why are you still fighting?

When the wool is off your eyes

You'll stop counting sheep at night

Without using the wheelchair, you traverse the endless night. Streets, cold and damp lined your vision, dim lanterns hanging from posts. You knew you were dreaming, simply a dreamception.

Tick.

You didn't need your special senses to tell that someone else was also present, the hairs on the back of your neck prickling. Paying them no mind helped soothe your racing pulse. While the wheelchair was nowhere to be seen, a cold wind brushed the side of your neck. You shivered.

Tick.

Pale figures materialised on the sidewalks, becoming clearer, darker for some, as the scenery changed to Ninjago City. One person in particular, a child with white hair appeared on the crosswalk with an older person guiding their way.

Tick.

You went to get their attention but they walked through you, continuing on their way. The surroundings brightened, turning greener as stalks of grass hugged your calves, swaying in the gentle breeze. A verdant field, dotted with vibrant flowers while their stray petals floated on zephyrs lay in front of you.

And there, a lone figure stood, short hair dark as oncoming storms with a green streak. His skin was translucent with a green tint, letting you see through most of him. Adorned with a worn traveller's cloak while a tattered gi lay underneath, the 'stranger' kept his gaze on you.

From what you could tell, anyway. His eyes were obscured behind a blurred screen, darkened and deceiving of his true nature. His gaze, albeit obscured, was powerful.

''Whatever form it takes, I will always be there for you,'' Morro promised. Though, in his words, in the locked away parts of his conscience, like what you had also done, where you couldn't reach was a darker emotion present.

Tick.

Your surroundings changed again, but you were alone. Underfoot, the smooth mosaic tiling was slippery and didn't hold much comfort. Gazing around, the statutes that lined the walls and the pillars that supported parts of the ceiling met your gaze. The Ninjago Museum of History.

Tick.

Tick.

Moonlight streamed in from the skylight, washing the tiles where it touched in silvery grey colour. Where the light did not touch, the corners were shadowed and seemingly hid secrets of their own. Footsteps echoed throughout the exhibit gallery, approaching.

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

They were coming from behind. Attempting to move, your limbs wouldn't respond, your brain screaming at them to obey but they refused every single command. Locked in place, the footsteps paused, and silence fell.

''A kitsune should have nothing to hide. Only cowards hide.''

The voice that spoke was cold and unforgiving.