surprise | daniel

You were settled on the couch of your apartment, cuddled in blankets with a mug of coffee in your hand. You had woken up early to watch your boyfriend Daniel's band, Why Don't We, perform on The Today Show. You were shocked at how lively they looked in soundcheck pictures you saw on your Twitter feed, considering that none of them were early risers. Jonah had a cup of coffee in hand, as you expected, and Daniel looked comfortable in a hoodie and joggers. You missed being with Daniel in the mornings, cuddling with him for warmth and pretending to still be asleep so he'd attempt to wake you up with soft kisses all over your face. Daniel had been on tour all summer but he was supposed be home sometime next week. You were counting down the days. You watched their performance and it was amazing. What Am I was such a beautiful song and your heart melted watching Daniel play cello. They played 8 Letters, a personal favorite of yours, and the smiles on their faces as they sang made you beam with pride. You were so proud of them.

Shortly after their performance had ended, your phone rang: Incoming call from Dani. You quickly answered, "Hi D, I just watched you guys perform. It was so good!" you beamed and you heard him yawn on the other end of the line. "Thank you love, it means a lot." he said, his voice raspy from sleep. "I hope you took pictures in that outfit from today." you said and he chuckled, "Why is that?" "Because you looked hot." "I'll have Jack take a few, just for you." You giggled and the call fell silent, but a comfortable silence. Hearing his voice over the phone was nothing compared to having him next to you. "Y/N? You there?" he asked and you sniffled, a few tears welling up in your eyes. "Yeah, I'm here." "Are you okay? I can hear you sniffling." he says and you moved the phone away for a moment, trying to compose yourself so you wouldn't worry him. You brought it back to your ear, "Yes, all good over here!" you forced yourself to sound cheery. Daniel cleared his throat before speaking again, "I miss you, sweetheart." he said in a whisper, almost like he was about to cry himself. "I miss you more." you said quietly, your voice cracking as you spoke, unable to fight back tears any longer. "Shhh, baby. Please don't cry. I'll be home before you know it, okay? We gotta go do another interview, but I'll call you later, promise." You took in a deep breath and brushed some stray tears away with your sleeve. "Okay, I'll talk to you later." "I love you." "I love you more." you said and the call ended, your heart aching more now that it had seeing him on the TV.

The day had gone by agonizingly slow, you spent the day cuddled up in your bed watching movies. You were sad and you missed your boyfriend. You buried yourself in blankets to make up for how empty the bed felt with just you in it. The sun set and night rolled around, and you still hadn't heard from Daniel. He promised to call but you knew that sometimes he got really busy and couldn't. You shed yourself of the blankets and took a shower to freshen up a bit. You changed into pajamas and settled back into bed after turning the lights off, deciding you should just get some sleep. The ringer on your phone was turned up to the loudest volume so you wouldn't miss it in case Daniel called. You fell asleep clutching onto a pillow and hoping he'd call back in the morning.

You slept for maybe two hours when your phone rang and you sat up to answer it. "Hello?" you said groggily, rubbing the sleep from your eyes. "Hi, did I wake you? I'm sorry, the day just got away from me and I didn't get a chance to call." he apologized. "It's okay, I'd rather hear your voice than sleep in the silence anyways." you chuckled and he did the same. As you were on the phone, you heard a knock at the door. "Hold on D, someone's knocking at the door. It's like 1AM, who would be here right now?" you said and walked down to the front door. You unlocked it and swung it open to the sweetest sight you could've seen. Daniel was standing in the doorway with his bags and a bouquet of flowers, phone up to his ear. "Surprise." he said with a huge grin plastered on his face. You threw your phone onto the carpet and jumped onto him, hugging him tightly. He grabbed your butt and lifted you up for support. "Oh my god, what are you doing here? You weren't supposed to be home 'til next week!" you said as he let you down. "Caught an early flight and I had to come home to see my girl." he said and smiled at you. You took the flowers he got you and stared at him in disbelief. "You need me to pinch you? Do you think you're dreaming?" he said, reaching over to poke at your sides and make you laugh. "Daniel, stop, I'm up!" you said in between laughs. You opened the door wider so he could bring his bags inside and you put the flowers in a vase of water. He came up behind you at the kitchen sink and spun you around, holding your face to kiss you. The kiss was slow and sweet, making up for the weeks you two had spent apart. You pulled back and rested your forehead against his, "I'm so happy you're home." you whispered and he leaned in to kiss your nose. "I'm so happy to be home, sweetheart." he whispered back. You grabbed his hand and led him upstairs so you two could go back to bed. "Wow, you've really got yourself a cave here, huh?" he teased, motioning to the pile of blankets on your shared bed. "It gets lonely sleeping alone, okay?" you said jokingly but it came out more sad. "Hey, I'm here now," Daniel said softly and tucked a strand of hair behind your ear, "let's go to bed. I've gone too long not being able to cuddle you."

Daniel changed into basketball shorts and readjusted your bedding so he could fit in with all of the blankets. You got into bed next to him and he pulled you close so you were laying face to face, noses almost touching. He traced your jaw with his pointer finger, stopping on your chin and pulling your lips to his. You kissed back and laced your fingers in his hair until you both pulled away for air. You snuggled into his chest and he wrapped his arms around you, holding you tight. "Next time you leave, take me with." you said and he shifted to look at you, "Seriously?" You looked up to him and nodded. Daniel moved back to his previous position and rubbed your back, "Sounds good to me." he mumbled and kissed the top of your head. "I love you so much, Y/N." "I love you more, Daniel James."