best years | jack

"You've got a million reasons to hesitate, but darling the future's better than yesterday; I wasted so much time on people that reminded me of you, gave you a million reasons to walk away."

"Just go home Jack. We broke up for a reason." you shouted from the doorway at your ex-boyfriend who showed up at your house in the middle of the night. He was standing at the bottom of the concrete steps, a pleading look on his face as he spewed out reasons that the break up was a mistake. "Y/N, please just listen. Five minutes. All I ask is for five minute." he said, his voice soft unlike your harsh one. You crossed your arms and nodded your head at him, your unamused expression not changing. Jack drew in a deep breath, "I know it's my fault. I gave you every reason to pack up and leave me, I'm not denying that. And I understand why you don't trust me, I know okay? But please, I fucked up. I promise it'll be better and I'll pay more attention. There's no one else like you, trust me I tried to move on. I just found myself looking for you in all of these other people. I need you, Y/N. I love you, please." he practically begged from the sidewalk. You stared at him, unsure of how to feel. Since you and Jack broke up, you'd been trying so hard to move on and erase him from your life. Not because of what he did, but because of how much it hurt to be without him. He obviously had no idea how much you missed him. You spent so many nights alone in his apartment, crying in his bed while he was out with his friends. You felt so underappreciated by him, so insignificant. Jack's words weren't matching his actions and one night you'd had enough, so you ended things with him. You still remember the cool air on your hot cheeks as you stormed out to your car despite Jack's pleas for you to stay.

"I'll build a house out of the mess and all of the broken pieces; I'll make up for all our tears."

"I won't lie to you Jack," you said, stepping out onto the porch, "I do miss you. I miss you so much it hurts. But you hurt me so badly and I don't know if that can be fixed with apologies and empty promises anymore." Jack sighed, running his hands through his hair. "Let me prove it to you then." he said, throwing his hands out in front of him. You cocked your head at his statement, "Prove it to me, how exactly?" you asked. Jack stepped closer to you slowly, almost as if he was afraid you'd bolt back into the house if he came too close. "Let me make up for all of the hurt I've caused. For every tear you've cried, every night you spent alone because of me; let me make it better." he explained and you shrugged, becoming frustrated with him. "Okay, but how Jack? How is this going to be different than last time?" you said loudly and your words left a small glimmer of hope in his eyes.

"I'll give you the best years, I'll give you the best years; Past love burned out like a cigarette, I promise darling you won't regret the best years."

"I'll pay more attention to you. I know I didn't put in enough effort before, and I will this time. I'm such an idiot for not realizing what I had until it was gone. I'll make more time for you and I'll communicate better. I will treat you like royalty, like I should've from the start. We can start fresh and work on putting the past behind us, it won't be like before. I can promise you that and it's not an empty one. I made so many mistakes but I've learned from them and I can do better. For you. For us. For the rest of our lives." he said, the end of his sentence trailing off. He seemed confident, and you really did believe him. The beginning of your relationship was so wonderful before it all slowly started to become more one-sided. In this moment he was vulnerable to you and promising things that you've wanted from him for so long. You chewed your bottom lip and walked down the steps until you were face to face with him. "You mean it? This isn't just some game you're playing to get me back or to make yourself feel better?" you asked, a bit more rudely than you intended. You noticed it and looked down at your feet. "Sorry, that was meaner than I meant it to be." you said quietly and he chuckled, "No, you're right. Three months ago that would've been a completely valid assumption. But I mean it, Y/N, I really do." he said, twirling his rings around his fingers. "Okay." you said. "Okay?" he questioned and you looked up at him. "Okay, we can try again. I want to, but it has to be different this time Jack."  you said. Jack couldn't help but crack a smile at your words, relief and happiness overtaking him. He hugged you tightly, picking you up off your feet. You giggled at him and wrapped your arms around his neck. You were unable to keep the cold front up any longer as he put you down. "I'll give you the best years, I promise." he said sincerely, his hands coming up to cup your cheeks. You smiled warmly at him and kissed him, pulling him towards you by the fabric of his jacket. When you pulled away you grabbed his hand, dragging him towards the front door. "Wait, am I coming in?" he asked even though his feet followed you without question. "Yes, I've spent too many nights without you already. " you smiled and he chuckled, shutting the door behind the two of you and preparing for your new start.

stream CALM by 5 seconds of summer
<3