boy next door | jack

You sighed as you hauled the last box of your things up to your new bedroom, plopping onto your bed and wiping your hair from your slightly sweaty forehead. "Y/N!" you heard your mom call. "Coming!" you yelled back. You jogged down the stairs and looked amongst the half-empty rooms before finding your mom in the kitchen. "There you are. Can you please start putting away the things in the garage?" she asked while she unpacked boxes of dishes. You nodded and slid out the front door, punching in the code to the garage. You had just moved into a new house with your mom. Your parents weren't together; your dad and younger brother lived in Ohio and you moved out to Pennsylvania with your mom when she got her new job. You missed them, but you were excited to start fresh in a brand-new environment. You started to unpack boxes, organizing as much as you could before you heard the sound of wheels on concrete and a loud cuss word. You left the garage door open due to the warm weather, so when you turned around you had a full view of the sidewalk and street. You spotted the source of the noise, a blonde boy with a skateboard who had just fallen straight onto his butt. You tilted your head, watching the stranger as he got up and dusted his pants. He looked around your age, and he was cute. You must've watched for too long because he caught you and smiled. "You're new." he said, an amused smile on his face. You felt your cheeks blush in embarrassment but you brushed it off. "Yeah, I just moved in today. I'm Y/N." you said, walking out of the garage and down the driveway. He stuck his hand out to you and you took it, keeping eye contact with him. "Nice to meet you, Y/N. I'm Jack." Jack, you thought to yourself, something about him was attractive to you. "So Jack," you said, "do you skateboard around her often?" You mentally facepalmed at how lame you sounded but Jack didn't seem to see it that way. "Oh yeah! I should probably mention that. I skate around here all the time because I live right there." he said, pointing to the house next to yours. You got a little excited—the cute boy was your neighbor. "We're neighbors. That's cool." you said with a smile. He nodded, kicking his skateboard up with his foot. "Let me see your phone." he said, holding out his hand and you shot him a confused look. "I'm giving you my number. Unless you wanna just talk from our bedroom windows like a music video." he teased and you laughed, opening a new contact and handing him your phone. "There, now we're officially friends. I"ll see you later Y/N." he said, rolling away on his skateboard while you walked back up your driveway, a blush on your cheeks.

Over the next few weeks, you'd grown pretty close with Jack. You made a few girlfriends through your job but if you weren't at work, you were spending time with Jack. His mom formally introduced herself and the rest of Jack's siblings to you and your mom shortly after you moved in. Now, you'd developed a close bond with everyone. You hung out with his sisters and had sleepovers, but you mainly hung out with Jack. You couldn't deny that you were starting to have a crush on him. Jack was charismatic and fun, he had a big personality. You felt comfortable around him and you could be goofy as well as serious with him. There were a few times that you'd catch him staring or your hands would touch for a moment too long and it made your stomach do flips but you didn't get your hopes up. Sydnie tells you that she totally think he has feelings for you despite your denial.

He'd been trying to teach you how to skateboard for a week and it wasn't going well. "Y/N, you have horrible balance skills." he chuckled, holding your hands as you stood on the board. "Shut up! I've never skateboarded before, it's hard not to wobble." you protested, shuffling your feet to try and remain level. You loosened your grip on Jack's hands, "Okay, I think I got it. You can let go now." Jack gave you an unsure look, "Are you sure?" "Yeah, Jack let go." you assured. The second his hands disconnected with yours, you felt your weight shift to your heels and your body start to fall backwards. You let out a yelp and one foot came off the board but two hands on your waist held you in place. You opened your eyes, relaxing once you realized you didn't have to brace yourself to hit the ground. Jack's face was inches from yours and his hands were holding you against him, keeping you from falling. "I had a feeling that would happen." he said quietly, his eyes looking into yours. You let out a slight chuckle, watching his gaze go from your eyes to your lips and back up to your eyes. "Jack?" you said. He hummed and you held your breath, "I think this is when you're supposed to kiss me." You were afraid of how he'd react, but you were pleasantly surprised by the bright smile that formed on his face before he leaned it. Jack's lips met yours and you kissed back, throwing your arms around his neck. It was a sweet kiss and you wouldn't mind doing it again. Once you pulled away you stepped off the board, standing in front of him. "How about we take a pause on skateboarding lessons and I take you on a date?" Jack said and you smiled, nodding. "C'mon, let's go get ice cream." he said, grabbing your hand and pulling you along behind him. At the end of the night you laid in bed wide awake, butterflies in your stomach and cheeks sore from smiling over the boy next door.