hotel swimming pool | jonah

"What the hell." you groaned to yourself as the vending machine spit your dollar back out at you for the fifth time. You were starving** but the idea of having to change out of your pajamas and go pick something up seemed like too much effort. Instead, you stood on the marble floor of the small room connected to the hallway fighting with a hotel vending machine. You were on a solo road trip going to visit your grandparents but the drive was extensive, so you found yourself a pretty nice hotel at the halfway point and booked a room. "Need some help?" a male voice said, making you jump. You were expecting noise from the ice machine, not another person. Once you saw the guy talking, your body relaxed a bit. He wasn't scary, he was actually kind of cute. He was tall and had very soft looking brown hair, dressing in flannel pajama pants and a hoodie. You tried not to chuckle when you noticed the slippers on his feet. "The vending machine won't take my money and all I want is some chocolate pretzels." you said, cracking a smile. "Here," he said, stepping up to you with his hand out, "let me try." You shrugged and handed him the dollar--even if he was secretly here to rob you, it was only a dollar. You stepped back and watched him carefully put the dollar into the machine, noticing his nails were painted black. It made you smile to yourself. You expected it to reject the dollar but instead, the keypad lit up and the guy who's name you still didn't know, went ahead and put in the code for chocolate pretzels. You scoffed playfully as they dropped to the bottom and he crouched down, coming back up with the bag in his hand. "Got 'em." he said, a proud smirk on his face. "Thank you, you're a kind stranger." you giggled, taking the bag. "I'm Jonah." he told you. "Y/N." Jonah fiddled with the strings of his hoodie, "I was just about to go outside for some air, it's stuffy in these rooms. Would you like to join me?" he asked. It caught you off guard, but you were feeling adventurous enough. Besides, who knows if you'd ever see him again? "Sure, let's go." you agreed.

"Wait, wait, so this is the fifth state you've been to..in a week?" you laughed in disbelief, sitting in the quiet courtyard outside the hotel, a view of the outdoor pool dimly lit by small faux lantern lights. Jonah nodded, leaning back in his chair. "Yup, I leave again tomorrow morning at 5:30." he said. You and Jonah had been outside talking for at least an hour, exploring random subjects and sharing details about yourselves that you would've never thought you'd share with a stranger. The conversation was flowing so naturally and Jonah was so charismatic—you felt like you were in a movie. Eventually the conversation led to how he was part of a band, which obviously shocked you. It didn't change the conversation or the way you talked to him. If anything, it gave you a whole other set of questions to ask. "Why are you still out here then?" you asked with shock in your voice, it was nearing two in the morning. Jonah shrugged, a soft curve playing on his lips. "I can sleep on the plane, I like it out here. I'm enjoying talking to you." he said, no hint of playfulness in his voice. You felt your cheeks heat up but remembered it was too dim for him to see and it relieved you somewhat. "I'm enjoying talking to you too, a lot. It's just humid as hell." you laughed and Jonah laughed with you. "Yeah it is, I'm sweating." he chuckled, running his hand through his hair. A few moments of silence go by before Jonah turns his head, a devilish smile forming. "What?" you asked. "Let's go in the pool." he said. You widened your eyes and shook your head, "No way. I didn't even bring a bathing suit." you protested. Jonah rolled his eyes, pushing his cheek out with his tongue, "So what?" You got a little uncomfortable and hoped that he wasn't insinuating that you strip** in front of him to swim in the pool. "Let's just put our feet in at least. No clothes need to come off." Jonah pushed, trying to reason with you. You felt relief at his statement, finding no harm in his suggestion. "Okay, okay. But just my feet." you warned. Jonah grinned brightly and headed towards the pool, holding his hand out behind him. You grabbed it, lacing your fingers in with his and following behind him. His hands were warm and tan, the coolness of his rings contrasting the temperature of his skin. You sat down together side by side at the edge of the pool, the lights under the water lit up the bottom of the pool. You took off your sandals and put your feet into the water; it was still warm from the daylight but cold enough to cool you down. It felt nice against your skin. You turned your attention to Jonah, who was struggling to roll up the bottom of his pajama pants up his shins. You chuckled quietly, earning a glare paired with a smile. "Shut it." he scolded playfully and you raised your hands up in defense. Once his feet were in the water he sighed, he sounded content. "Feel better?" you asked. "Much." he answered, leaning back on his hands. You mirrored him, leaning back the same way. You let your hand rest on his ever so slightly, fingers barely touching. You weren't sure if he noticed but he turned his head, looking at your hand before looking back at you. The dim lighting made him glow and it only made him prettier. Jonah slowly lifted his hand up and held yours, palms touching and fingers interlocking. "Wanna know what would make this even more fun?" he asked. "What?" you asked, a hint of mischief in his eyes. Suddenly he launched forward, his hand not letting yours go. Within seconds you were both underwater, fully clothed. When you came back up to the surface you wiped your eyes, the first sound being Jonah's loud laughter. "Are you serious? Why did you do that?" you whined, opening your eyes. You brushed your now wet hair back from your face and watched water droplets fall down the bridge of Jonah's nose, his eyes crinkled at the corners from his smile. "Because it was fun! C'mon, live a little Y/N." he winked, swimming backwards away from you. You sighed as you watched him swim around the pool, giddy like a child at a waterpark. You couldn't help but smile at him and eventually decided to join him. The two of you splashed around and raced across the pool until you were out of breath—the added drag of your clothes making it harder to swim through water. "Are you ready to get out yet?" you asked, tilting your head back into the water. When you lifted it back up Jonah was in front of you, close enough to make your heart beat faster. "You have drops of water on your eyelashes." he said softly into the space between you two. You chuckled and blinked harshly, feeling the water fall onto your cheeks. Jonah's eyes flickered from yours to your lips, basically displaying his thoughts in front of you. "Live a little, Jonah." you teased, using his own statement against him. With a smile, Jonah brought one hand up to cup your cheek and the other held onto your hip. You rested your hand on his damp shoulder and felt his lips connect with yours. It was a sweet kiss and it felt so natural, like you'd done it before. This must be a dream. When you pulled back you weren't sure what to expect, but the both of you just smiled at each other before laughing to yourselves. "We should probably get going." Jonah said, looking into the distance behind you. You turned to see the sun coming up, the beauty of it taking away from your realization that he had to leave. "Yeah, you've got a new state to get to." you said, but neither of you moved. "I'll walk you to your room." he offered, taking your hand as the both of you walked up the steps out of the pool. Your clothes dripped water the whole walk back, but it was worth it.

The next morning you were awoken by a knock on your door, a groan leaving your mouth as you rolled out of the sheets. You trudged to the door, wondering who would be knocking. You opened the door to see a delivery man with a bouquet of flowers in his hand. "Y/N Y/L/N?" he asked and you nodded, furrowing your eyebrows. "Yes?" "These are for you, the card is attached. Enjoy!" he said, handing you the flowers and nodding before he left. You shut the door and brought the flowers over to the table, setting them down and searching for the card. Once you found it, you read your name in fancy lettering on the front. You flipped it open to read the message inside:

"Thank you for living a little with me. Maybe we'll run into each other at a hotel pool again someday.
- Jonah"

You gasped a bit, putting your hand over your mouth. You smiled and read the card again to make sure you were seeing it right. It was so sweet, it almost made the fact that you may never see him again hurt more. You smelled the gorgeous flowers and looked in the mirror, unable to control your smile. It was a once in a lifetime, perfect night. One that you'd think about every time you checked into a hotel. That, made you content.