say you won't let go | zach

based off of
'say you won't let go' by james arthur

21 years old

"Oh, I'm gonna throw up again." you slurred, leaning over the toilet in the guest bathroom of Daniel's house. Your boyfriend Zach sat behind you, his legs spread out on either side of yours on the floor. He pulled your hair away from your face and held it in a makeshift ponytail. "It's alright babe, you'll feel better if you just let it out." he cooed, rubbing your back soothingly as you emptied the contents of your stomach into the toilet bowl. Once you finished, Zach handed you a towel to wipe your face and you sat up, leaning back into his chest. "You feel good enough to get up?" he asked and you shook your head, launching forward towards the toilet once more. This cycle continued for around 10 more minutes until you leaned on your arm over the side of the toilet. "I think I drank too much." you groaned and Zach chuckled, his hands rubbing circles on your lower back. "Yeah, I think you're right." "Zach?" you mumbled, looking over your shoulder to look at him. "Yes?" he said, an amused but pouty smile on his face. "Will you stay with me tonight?" He leaned forward and kissed your forehead, smoothing the stray hairs on your hairline. "I already told you I'll be here all night. Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere." he assured and you gave him a weak smile. You mouthed a 'thank you' before leaning back over the toilet, preparing to throw up one more time. Even in your drunken, sick state Zach still looked at you like you were the most beautiful person in the world. "I love you." you said quietly and he smiled to himself, stroking your hair. "I love you too, sweetheart."

28 years old

"Good morning, sleeping beauty." Zach whispered, kissing your head lightly and placing a tray on the bed next to you. Your eyes fluttered open and you smiled sleepily, stretching your limbs out under the covers. You turned your head and saw a plate of waffles, fruit and a cup of hot coffee on the tray. You looked to him in awe, sitting up in bed. "What's all this for?" you asked and he shrugged, smiling at you like an excited little kid. "No reason, just felt like doing something special for you since you've done so much and been so supportive while I was gone." he said and you stuck out your bottom lip, grabbing the back of his neck to pull him in for a kiss. Once you pulled away for air you immediately dug into your food, pleasantly surprised at how good it was considering Zach wasn't the best cook. "Good?" he asked and you nodded, "Very. Thank you, baby." you said with your mouth full of waffles. The sound of small footsteps padding down the hall drew your attention to the doorway of your bedroom. "I'm ready to go!" your five year old son Chase chirped as he walked in the room. His backpack made him look so much smaller and it warmed your heart to see your little boy so excited for school. "I hope you weren't going to leave without saying goodbye." you teased and he shook his head rapidly, skipping over to your side of the bed to kiss your cheek. "Daddy's taking me to school today!" he said happily. Chase was attached to Zach when he was home, he couldn't get enough of hanging out with his dad. "That's great buddy! Maybe Daddy can take you to school all week." you said, glancing at Zach who was jokingly side-eyeing you with a grin on his face. "C'mon little man, we better get going." Zach said, standing up from the bed and following him out of the room. "Hey! No kiss?" you called after him. He came back in and lifted your chin with his pointer finger, gently kissing your lips. "Drive safe." you said once he pulled away and he winked at you on his way out.

37 years old

"Just one more picture!" "Mom, stop." Chase groaned, swatting your hands away from his hair. You huffed, putting your hands on your hips. "It's your first highschool dance, let me take pictures of my baby boy." you said and he hid his face in his hands. "I am not a baby. I'm fourteen." Zach came up behind you and put his hands on your waist, resting his chin on your shoulder. "Chase, just smile and let her take the picture. Then you can be on your way." he said and Chase sighed, smiling for the camera as you took way too many pictures of him. "Okay," you sighed, "now you can go. Be home by—" "Ten o'clock!" he finished for you, waving goodbye as he jogged out the door to his friends car. You watched him drive off with a sad smile on your face, getting emotional at your little boy growing up. Zach spun you around in his arms, resting one hand on your lower back and holding your hand with the other. "Don't be sad, Y/N. We've still got a few years left until he's a full grown adult." he said and you pouted at your husband. "I don't care if he's 25 and married, he's still my baby." Zach chuckled and started to sway you back and forth. "I know, I know." You gave him a confused look as you realized he was swaying you, putting your arm on his shoulder. "Are we dancing? There's no music." you chuckled and he spun you under his arm. "Just go with it." The two of you slow danced in your living room, no sounds around other than Zach slightly humming and your heartbeats. Your proper dancing posture eventually turned into your head on Zach's chest and his arms around your waist, rocking you side to side. "Do you remember our first dance?" he asked and you hummed, smiling into his chest. "Of course I do, I'll remember it forever." you replied. Zach sighed, pulling back just far enough to leave inches between your faces. "I can't believe how much we've grown up since the day I asked you to be my girlfriend outside of the tour bus." You laughed at the memory, a young you and Zach awkwardly standing in front of the bus when he was leaving for his first tour. "You know, I told you on our wedding day that I'm gonna love you 'til the day I die. That's still true and it always will be. I fall more in love with you every day." he gushed and you felt tears well up in your eyes. Without saying a word, you kissed him, pulling back for a moment just to kiss him again. "I'm already emotional, don't make me cry." you said, letting out a watery laugh. "I love you so much, Zachary Dean." you said, kissing his nose and laying your head back on his chest, taking in this moment and daydreaming about every other beautiful moment your future held for the both of you.