high | zach

"I hope you think of me high, I hope you think of me highly when you're with someone else; I know your friends all lie, I know your friends don't like me, they want you for themselves."

"Do you talk about me?" Zach randomly asks as he's laying on you, his head resting on your stomach while you read above him. "Y/N?" he says, drawing your attention to him. "Sorry, I didn't hear you. Yes?" you answered sweetly, running your hand through his hair. "I asked if you talk about me." he said and you flipped a page, "To who?" "Anyone. Your friends, your family, strangers who make small talk." he said and you set your book down, giving him your full attention. "Of course I do. I've turned into the semi-annoying friend who doesn't shut up about her amazing boyfriend." you said, gently pulling at the locks of brown hair on his head. "Do they like me?" he asks, but this time his voice is smaller. He almost seems sad, disappointed at the answer before you've even given it to him. You sighed, "They didn't at first. They thought you weren't good for me, but they were wrong and now they like you." You hoped your answer would brighten him up but it didn't seem to. You put your hand on his arm, pulling at him so he'd turn around and look at you. Zach sat up on his knees, sitting in between your legs and gazing at the wall behind you. "Hey, what's wrong?" you asked, putting your arms around his neck. Zach shook his head, "It's nothing, really. I just get worried that they don't like me and then they'll get you to leave me. Or that when they say they like me, they're lying for your sake." he admits, a thought that you didn't know he was having. It took you by surprise but your face melted from concern to sadness. "That's not true. If they didn't like you, they'd be honest with me about it. And even if they didn't there's nothing they could say to me that would make me leave." you told him, gently pulling at the hairs on the nape of his neck. Zach shifted his eyes to meet yours and you noticed him trying to hide the small smile on his face. "You promise?" he asked and you giggled, but responded sincerely. "Yes, I promise. I'm not going anywhere." Zach let his smile show and wrapped his arms around your waist, pulling you to lay down with him. You let out a shriek and he laughed, pushing a piece of your hair from your face. "I love you." he said quietly and you kissed his nose, "I love you too."

"I know I'll never meet your expectations, but the picture that you paint of me looks better in your mind; now every step I take with hesitation, and I'll always miss the memories of the mornings we were high."

Zach sighed as he knocked on your door, flowers in hand and a guilty but hopeful expression on his face. He got silence in return but knocked again, refusing to give up unless you answered. You swung the door open with force, the redness of your eyes and puffiness of your cheeks making it obvious you were crying. "Y/N I—" "Don't, Zach. Please. You were supposed to pick me up three hours ago." you said coldly and he swallowed. You were mad as hell at him but the look in his eyes told you that he was upset as well. "Can I just explain?" he asked and you sighed, nodding your head. "I fell asleep." he started and you scoffed, getting ready to close the door. Zach wedged his foot in and stopped you, "I wasn't done. Please." he said softly and you let go of the door. "I was up all night last night, thinking about us. Missing how we used to be and how distant we've grown. I don't know what's happening but I'm afraid that you're not in love with me anymore. Once I started thinking about it I couldn't stop and I didn't want to wake you up with a phone call so I just stayed awake." he finished and you looked down at your feet. He was right, your relationship had taken a turn recently. You couldn't pinpoint exactly what or why it happened but it didn't feel the same. You chewed your cheek, "I know. That's why I was excited when you said we'd go out tonight." you spoke quietly. "I know that I fuck up sometimes and I'm not the best at this, yet you still view me as this wonderful person." he said and you shifted your weight, "Because you are, even when you don't act like one." Zach ran his hand through his hair and reached for your hand. You took it and looked up at him, a desperate look on his face. "Do you still love me?" he asked and your heart broke a little, "Yes I still love you." you said. "Is it something I did?" he asked and you open your mouth to say something but nothing comes out. You can see his eyes start to worry and you try to recover from it, "No, no it's not. I just don't know why it's happening either." You two stand there in silence holding hands, unable to comprehend what has happened to you. "Can we try and figure it out? Because I don't want to break up." he said and you were a little surprised, "We aren't breaking up." "Then why does it feel like we are?" "Come inside." you said, pulling his hand towards the door.

"I need to stop letting me down, down, down, down, down."

By the end of the long, emotional talk you had with Zach you were wiping tears from his eyes and crying yourself. You both felt as if the spark was fading, that you secretly didn't want to be with each other but couldn't admit it to one another. It was all miscommunication and insecurity, but it made you realize a few things about your relationship. "I need you to talk to me, okay? We need to talk to each other." you said, almost pleading with him. He nodded and leaned into your warm touch on his cheek, "I don't ever want to lose you. I don't want to let you down." he said and you scooted closer to him, softly pressing your lips to his. You could taste the salty tears that had fallen down his cheeks and kissed him harder. "You need to not let yourself down, either. We both need to help ourselves as well as each other." you whispered when you pulled away. "I'm sorry, baby." he said and you kiss him again, but this time his arms snake around your waist. You part and rest your head on his shoulder, holding his back tightly in a hug. "I'm sorry too. But I love you so much and nothing has changed that. We're okay." you said to him. Zach's hand ran up and down your back, burying his face in your hair. "I love you."