roommates | jonah

When you moved from your hometown to Los Angeles and found an apartment for rent, you didn't expect to be roommates with a boy. You didn't realize until after you'd signed your lease that the boy's name on the paper was the other tenant and not the landlord. Now it had been almost 6 months and in that time, he'd become your best friend. His name was Jonah Marais, and he and his best friends were going on two years of being in a band together. Jonah and you were very awkward at first, neither of you expecting to have to share a living space with someone of the opposite gender yet it became more fun over time. Jonah was an extremely kind hearted and funny person, your personalities blended together well.

"Jonah if you use all the hot water I swear I will kill you in your sleep!" you shouted from your room as you sat at your vanity in your robe. You heard the shower turn off and the door unlock, but didn't pay much attention to it. Without warning, Jonah burst through your doorway in nothing but a towel and sat down on your bed. "Shower's free." he sighed, scrolling on his phone. You gave him a confused look and spun around in your seat, "You know this isn't your room right?" He chuckled, nodding his head. "Yes, I'm aware. My clothes are still in the dryer so I thought I'd come bother you while I wait." You scoffed, shaking your head at him. "What if I was naked? You didn't even knock." you protested and he didn't look up from his phone. All he did was shrug his shoulder and smirk at his phone. You gasped and chucked a throw pillow at him, making him laugh. "Oh, knock it off you know I was kidding." he said, a goofy grin on his face as he looked up at you. You smiled back at him, trying your best to keep your eyes on his face and not his bare torso. Jonah was tan and muscular, tattoos littering his body. You completely dismissed the fact that he was dripping water onto your bed because you were so focused on trying not to stare. Apparently, you weren't doing a very good job. "Looking for something, Y/N?" he teased and you rolled your eyes. "Fuck off, you're getting water on my bed." you said back. Jonah stuck his tongue out at you and laid on your pillows, purposefully rubbing his soaking wet hair on them. "You're the worst." you groaned and he only laughed again before sitting up. "What are your plans for the night? You've got all your makeup out." he said, noticing the state of chaos that your vanity was in. You stood up from your chair and grabbed a towel from your closet. "I'm going out with some of the girls from work tonight." you told him and he looked you up and down. "I hope you don't plan on going in your robe." he snickered and you flicked him off, opening the door to head to the bathroom for your shower. "Daniel and Zach are coming over tonight so if any of them are cute, bring them home!" Jonah shouted down the hall. "Get out of my room, Marais!" you yelled back, chuckling at his words and shutting the door behind you.

You groaned loudly, wiping off your eyeliner and redoing it for the fifth time. You were excited to go out with your friends and have a good time but your confidence was low today. You put on a cute outfit and did your makeup, but nothing was really helping. You steadied your hand one more time, applying the eyeliner and messing it up again. "Fuck!" you yelled, dropping the brush and wiping it off. Your door opened up and Jonah poked his head in, his Beats around his neck and a concerned look on his face. "Everything okay in here?" he asked and you huffed. "Yeah it's fine I just can't get my makeup to look right." He raised an eyebrow and you sighed, pouting at him. "You were recording weren't you?" Jonah nodded, chuckling a little. "It's just a demo to send to Corbyn, no big deal. Are you sure everything's good? You seem pretty worked up over makeup." he said. You leaned your head back and stared up at the ceiling, chewing on your lip. "It just, I-I just, ugh." you said, feeling the lump in your throat start to form. "It's not just makeup, it's me. I love my friends and I have so much fun going out but they're all so much better than me. They get more attention from guys, free drinks at clubs, constant compliments. I just feel, I don't know. I feel ugly." you admitted, your voice breaking as you spoke. Jonah came in the room fully and walked up to you, putting his hand on the back of your head. "Hey, hey, hey. C'mere." he said gently. You sat up and wrapped your arms around his waist, crying into his shirt. He stroked your hair and your shoulders, whispering soothing things to you. He pulled back and put his hands on your jaw, wiping the tears away with the pads of his thumbs. "Listen to me, you aren't ugly. Attention from scumbags at the bar and drinks at the club does not dictate how pretty you are. You're beautiful, no matter what. When you wake up in the morning in a huge shirt and your hair's all messy, you're beautiful. When you get all dolled up to go out, you're beautiful. When you're curled up on the couch stuffing your face with snacks and crying over rom-coms, you're beautiful. You always look beautiful, Y/N. I wish you saw yourself the way I do because if you did, you wouldn't be worrying about any of this right now." he gushed to you. You sat in front of him in awe, your cheeks dry and stained with tears. You furrowed your eyebrows and smiled at him, "Jonah, do you really believe that?" you asked. He scoffed, stroking your cheek with his thumb. He looked down at you adoringly, taking in all of your features. "Are you kidding me? Of course I do. I look at you every day and think, 'Wow. She is absolutely stunning and I am in love with her and she has no idea.'" he said, the end of his sentence trailing off. You stood up and took his hands from your face, interlocking your fingers with his. Your face was unreadable and it made Jonah evidently nervous. "If, if you don't feel the same it's okay. I know I just blurted that out but it's true. I am in love with you and I have been since you moved in. I sound like an idiot right now, I'm sorry I just—" "Jonah." "Yeah?" "Can you shut up for a second and kiss me instead?" "Yeah." he smiled, leaning in. You brought your hands up to cup his jaw and kissed his lips. You felt his hands snake around your waist and pull you into him, kissing you back. When you broke for air, you reached out of his grip to grab your phone and he laughed at you. "What the hell are you doing?" he chuckled and you shushed him. "I'm texting the girls and telling them I can't come out tonight." "Wait, what? Why not?" he asked, rubbing small circles on your hips over your dress. "Because," you said, putting your phone down, "I am in love with you too. And I want to spend tonight with you instead of trying to get attention from the scumbags at the club." Jonah grinned brightly and kissed you again, smiling into the kiss. Your kiss was interrupted by a knock at the front door and Jonah mumbling a curse word as he pulled away. "What?" you asked. "Daniel and Zach." he groaned and your mouth formed an 'o'. "Give me second." he said, kissing your head and jogging to the door. You sat on your bed and listened for his voice, hearing Daniel say, "Atta boy!" and the sound of one of them patting Jonah's back. "Use protection!" Zach's voice echoed down the hall before the sound of the door shutting. You stood up and leaned out your doorway, watching Jonah laugh and shake his head on his way back to your room. "What'd you tell them?" you asked and he grabbed your waist, "To come back tomorrow night so I can spend tonight with my girl." he smirked. "Your girl, huh?' you teased and he nodded proudly, "Yes," he said in between kisses to your lips, "my girl." "I like the sound of that."