6. burning up

STORY CREATED BY octavia-marie-blake

"I think they did this on purpose." You admit, frowning up at Bellamy as he holds the tent over you, his body lifted above yours. His face is so close to yours that you can feel his breath on your upper lip.

"You think Murphy's smart enough to predict acid fog?" Bellamy retorts, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah... maybe not." You reply, letting out a sigh.

It was never your plan to go with Bellamy on a hunt. Usually, you'd avoid him at all costs unless you wanted to get a rise out of him. In those cases - and there were many - you'd make sarcastic comments directed at him and it would drive him crazy.

"This is a weeks worth of work?" He asked, eyeing the section of the fence you were in charge of getting people to build.

"Rome wasn't built in a day." You retorted, giving him a sneer. He irked you, this man, always contradicting you, undermining you, fighting you on everything. You were sick of it.

"No, but the Berlin wall was made overnight." Bellamy had replied, placing his hands on his hips as he turned to you.

Bellamy, of course, shot the same sarcastic bullets at you, teasing you to no ends. It started to feel like the two of you were playing opposite sides of a game. So when Murphy and Clarke insisted that no one else was fit enough to go with Bellamy, you sighed reluctantly and gave in.

And now you absolutely regret it. "How long until it passes, Bellamy?" You sigh, exasperated.

"Do I look like an expert to you?"

"Nope. Definitely not that smart." You reply, "Or you wouldn't insist on using the tent when we're inside a cave."

Bellamy rolls his eyes, gripping the tent and making his arms bulge on either side of your head, just above your shoulders. "I'm just making sure we're okay." He tries to speak calmly but it doesn't turn out the way it does in his head.

"I told you, we are. Acid fog doesn't come inside caves." You reply more forcefully, getting angry now. "Why don't you ever listen to me?" With a great big sigh, he rips the tent cover away and you're both left in the exposed dark of the cave. There's no fog evident. "See?"

"Good for you," he states sarcastically, throwing the sheet to the side and sitting beside you, "if you were wrong, we'd be dead."

"But we're not." You reply, giving him a genuine smile that he can't tear his eyes away from.

"Mhmm." Is all he says, gazing at you like he always does. It makes your cheeks heat up and he notices it, like he always does.

"Which means?" You continue.

"Whateverokayyoureright." He mumbles, looking away as he sits beside you.

"Louder." You egg him on, leaning your ear towards him. "Say it." You state, making Bellamy's heart speed up excessively, "I'm right all the time and you should never question me, ever."

"That's a bit much, don't you think?" He shakes his head, raising his eyebrows at you before leaning back on both arms to look at you.

Sitting up, you kneel in front of him. "Admit that I'm more intelligent than you and I'll leave it alone." You whisper a deal, watching him with a playful smile on your lips.

Leaning up, Bellamy's face is an inch away from yours. "Never." He whispers, making your heart pound loudly inside your head. Narrowing your eyes at Bellamy, you pounce onto him quickly and pin his arms above his head.

"Do it."

Bellamy lets out a loud laugh, his smile making the sides of his eyes crinkle, feeling his cheeks go red at the sight of you on top of him. Bellamy can feel his chest ache as excitement courses through his veins, pounding in his head. "You know I'm stronger than you, right?" He licks his lips.

You shrug without a beat, "You know I'm smarter than you, right?"

Bellamy lifts his arms up and you're unable to stop him while he pins you to the ground instead, making it impossible for you to move your arms at all. "Fuck." You curse, trying to shake his hands away.

He watches you intensely, resting his knees on either side of your hip. You notice the way he looks at you and you swallow the lump in your throat. As if coming to his senses, Bellamy coughs, muttering as he lets you free and sits up, "We should, uh, get some sleep."

"Yeah, yeah, sure." You nod back, completely compliant with the notion.

The intense cold burns your whole body, driving you insane as you lie awake staring at the ceiling of the cave. It's too cold for you here, you're just about frozen. Turning over to Bellamy, he lays comfortable, peaceful.

It's been too long that you've been debating on whether or not to lay closer to him, to get some of his warmth. And as another breeze blows into the cave, you angrily crawl over to him.

"Hey," you whisper, placing an icy cold hand on his shoulder, "wake up." Nothing. "Bellamy!" You nudge him, feeling your teeth shatter with every single word you utter. Gasping awake, Bellamy bolts upright and knocks his head against yours. "Ah, fuck!" You shout, holding your head in your hands.

"What are you doing?" He groans angrily, his eyes screwed shut as he breathes through the pain. You're too embarrassed to say now. When you don't answer, he opens his eyes to look at you, seeing how upset and down you look. "Y/N, what's wrong?"

"N-Nothing." You shiver, inching away from him. "Sorry, I'm sorry I woke you."

As you turn away, Bellamy grabs your hand and frowns at how cold you feel. Your teeth stop shuttering at how warm his hand is against yours. "God, you're basically hypothermic. Come here." He unzips his jacket to wrap his arms around your body, pulling you against his chest.

You let out a pleased hum at the feeling of his warm body against yours. Placing your freezing fingers upon his chest, you nuzzle your head against his hot neck. "Mm, you're so warm, Bell." You whisper, closing your tired eyes.

He smiles, holding you closer. "Lay down with me, I'll keep you warm." Bellamy pulls you down with him so that you're still hugging his chest. "You know... you'd be warmer if I took my shirt off."

"Shut up." You reply playfully, a smile on your lips. "I don't understand how you're so warm. You run way hotter than I do." You admit.

"I guess I am pretty hot." He jokes, cringing at himself as soon as the sentence comes out of his dumb, infatuated mouth. Leaning up, you glance at him disapprovingly. "I know, I know. It was bad." He sighs, you smile at him.

A silence ensues between the two of you. "Thank you, Bellamy."

"For what?"

"For taking care of me. For making sure we didn't both die in the fog." You smile at him.

"Wow, Y/N being genuinely nice?" Bellamy widens his eyes, shaking his head. "Who are you?"

Chuckling, you gently punch his chest. "Stop, I'm trying to be your friend."

"Hmm." He observes, "What if I don't want you to be my friend?" He retorts, leaning on his elbows once more. The wind blows viciously outside, filling the silence with howls. Your smile falters slightly and he notices. He realises it didn't come out how he had meant it. "I mean, what if I want it to be more?"

You're shocked for a few seconds, just looking at the boy below you. "What if?" You reply, realising he's telling the truth. He looks genuinely frightened to be speaking about how he feels.

Bellamy feels like he's being pulled by a magnet, a force that's driving him closer and closer to your lips. His breath becomes heavier by the second. "What if I kissed you?" His eyes dart from your lips to your eyes, trying to get the signal that he can kiss you, "Y/N, I really want to kiss you."

A smile grows on your face before you place your hands on his warm, red cheeks. "Kiss me then." You whisper, close to his eager lips.

Bellamy leans forward slowly, pressing his hands on your cheeks too. When your lips meet for the first time, you no longer feel cold; you're burning up.