29. sides

STORY CREATED BY xlviolation

"It's like I don't know you anymore."

The words rung in Bellamy's head as he sighed, shaking his head. This wasn't the time for melancholy, he had Arkadia to save. He had [Y/n] to save. He remembered everything that led up to that moment. It started when he tried to storm, along with nine other people including Pike, toward the grounder army.

The [h/c] haired girl had never been one to hide her distaste for Pike. Even so, Bellamy had hoped that she wouldn't be the one to stop him. Monroe and Miller had left willingly, trusting him. All that was left behind was Lincoln and [Y/n].

When the dispute had been broken up by Abby and Kane, [Y/n] retreated back into the Ark, not even sparing him a glance. Without thinking, he chased after the girl. They hadn't spoken in a while, not after he confessed that he was with Pike. But that hadn't been why she was avoiding him. He didn't blame her. Not after what he said.

He distinctly remembered the rain, spitting on his hands, his face as it decorated the gravel beneath with small puddles of water.

"The people I had sworn to protect are dead and it's all my fault," Bellamy whispered, his voice hoarse.

"Bell, no it's not," [Y/n] replied, determined. "It's the ice nation. Stop beating yourself up for something you didn't do."

"[Y/n], I just left them and foolishly followed Echo into Polis. I just left them... I left you."

"Because you thought Polis was under attack," she whispered into his ear as she cupped his face, gently. He looked away from the piercing [e/c] eyes that seemed to tear down his walls. Because he knew that if he looked into them any longer, he'd start crying.

Bellamy cleared his throat still looking away and felt empty when her hands left his face. "I'm going with Pike. Tonight. I'm going to protect everyone in this camp."

"You mean," [Y/n] took a step back, looking at him with unreadable eyes. "You're going to massacre the army that was sent to protect us?" When he didn't answer, it only infuriated her more. "You're insane!"

"I'm trying to protect you, [Y/n]," Bellamy tried to reason.

"By taking Pike's side?" She sneered "Unbelievable."

"This isn't about sides [Y/n] -"

"No," she cut him off, taking another step back. "This is about your personal vendetta against Echo. You're mad because you were unable to save all those people in Mount Weather. And so you decide to take it out on the grounders who have done nothing but protect us from Azgeda."

"[Y/n-"

"I can't believe you."

"[Y/n], you could have died!" Bellamy yelled. She retreated even further back until her back touched the door knob, not used to the harsh tone he used against her. "I nearly lost you that day," he continued, softer this time. "I can't lose you. You want to make this about sides, I'm on whatever side that keeps. you. alive."

"And what about the Indra? And her army? Why can't you keep them alive?" [Y/n] hissed her fingers behind her back holding the door knob.

There was a silence as she stared at him accusingly. The ticking of the clock on his dresser was the only thing the two heard for a long time.

"Because I don't love them!" Bellamy blurted. "I love you. Why can't you see that?"

Her gaze softened. It was no secret that the two had harboured feelings for each other for a while, neither willing to admit it. But as soon as that softness came it disappeared. Her indecipherable eyes back again, and Bellamy felt as if he was looking at the hollow shell of a once lively girl.

"I just said I loved you," Bellamy laughed, albeit despairingly. "Say something, anything, back."

As the silence continued, the future he had imagined seemed to be slipping away. Her mouth remained unmoving as if mocking him.

"I can't be with someone that supports the massacre of innocent people," she finally muttered, shaking her head. Her grip on the doorknob tightened as she pulled it open and slipped out, slamming the door behind her. "It's like I don't know you anymore."

The words kept replaying in his head, coupled with the slamming of the door as he shakily sat down on his bed.

"[Y/n]," he called, finally being able to catch up with her. He let out a sigh of relief as she turned around.

The relief dissipated almost instantly as she gave him a curt nod. "Blake." It was the first day on Earth all over again. When she refused to give up her wristband, and very much disliked him.

[Y/n] almost wanted to cry when she saw his crestfallen expression and fought the urge to go up to him and embrace him. Tell him everything was ok and tell him she loved him too.

"C-can we talk?" he tried. Bellamy Blake never stuttered. Not because of anything and especially not because of a girl.

Her [e/c] eyes gazed at him for a second too long and Bellamy fidgeted under her stare.

"There's nothing to talk about. We've chosen our sides," she shrugged, turning away from him and back toward the direction she was walking.

Bellamy didn't chase her this time, choosing to watch her retreating figure.

Her eyes watered as she tried to take even steps away from Bellamy, her pace quickening when she felt she could no longer hold back her tears. What did she expect? For him to come running? To come after her? In a place named after a supposed safe haven, a civil war brewed. And a war was no time for her feelings.