41. clumsy and cute

STORY CREATED BY octavia-marie-blake

The day is hot and the work is hard. Watching the sun go down, you place the dry leaves onto the dead tree trunks and you pray to every higher being that this works. After teaching you how to create a fire from practically nothing, your leader Bellamy, gave you the task of building the campfire for tonight's dinner.

As the crunchy leaves begin sparking, you lean down and softly blow air into the growing flame. "C'mon, c'mon..." You mumble to yourself, seeing the orange flicker building. You smile proudly, standing up and looking at what you've created, "Bellamy, come look!" You call, turning around you look for the tall, tan boy who already has his heart shaped eyes on you.

Sauntering over, he eyes the structure, "Nice job." He compliments, seeing some flaws but keeping quiet about it. He's so proud that you did this on your own, never calling him over for assistance even once. Stumbling over your own feet when you realise he's standing so close, you almost gasp when he holds you by your waist in order for you to regain composure. Bellamy holds back a smile, patting your hips gently before stepping away. "Add another log, babe. We need it to last all night."

Blushing at the comment, you think you'd get used to the nicknames he uses on you from time to time but you never could. They always sent your heart fluttering. "Alright." Nodding, you take a step back and almost stumble as you walk over to the pile of logs.

Not even thinking about it, you place one down on the fire. Bellamy sees what you're doing, but it's too late. "Wait, Y/N–" Your eyes widen when you watch the bottom logs trembling.

"Oh, shit." You breath. The logs come tumbling down, spraying flickers of fire around it. Flinching back into Bellamy's open arms, you cringe as you see one heading towards a group of people. "Watch out!" You call, getting their attention just as the fiery log speeds down the hill. Luckily, they jump from its way and you earn glares mixed with shock and anger.

Stepping away from Bell, you let out a sigh of relief that no one got hurt. You run your hands through your hair. You and Bellamy watch the log slam into the wall, ceasing its treacherous path. Wells begins storming over to you and you already know what's to come. "This should be good." You mutter to Bell, who scoffs in return. Everyone knows how Wells gets when things aren't done right. It seems like every time you make a clumsy mistake, the Chancellor of Earth is there to witness it. He never runs out of insults when it comes to you.

"Are you kidding me, Y/N?" Wells shouts, his dark eyes glaring into yours. Bellamy stands beside you.

"Sorry, I-"

"Don't you know how to build a damn fire without killing someone?" Wells scoffs, a few of the kids from the group stand behind him in a crowd of scowls. The way he's speaking to you is beginning to irk Bell.

You stand still, in shock. You've never been confronted by anyone like this, especially not Wells. "Sorry." You repeat, rolling your eyes slightly.

Bellamy frowns, seeing how uncomfortable his words are making you feel. He's had enough. "What makes you think you can talk to her like that?" He glares at the younger boy, stepping forward.

"She nearly killed us making that piece of trash." Another girl states, standing up to Bellamy who raises his eyebrows at her bold but very stupid decision.

Hearing sniggers from the group, you look down. "It's fine, Bell." You tell him, placing your hand on his arm. His heat speeds up but he stands his ground.
If they want to freeze to death during the night then so be it. You think to yourself silently, just wanting this to be over.

"No." He shakes his head, "I won't let them talk to you like that." Looking back at the group, his eyebrows furrow and he looks down at them. You can already tell how intimidating and harsh Bellamy's gaze is when Wells steps back slightly, giving his eyes a roll. 'You either stop complaining and shut up, or you get up and pull your weight." He seethes, his voice assertive and loud. "Last time I checked, none of you do shit around here."

"Whatever." The girl announces, a sneer etched onto her soft features, almost looking like it doesn't belong there. "Just make sure your girlfriend doesn't trip over her own foot and kill someone." With a last laugh and a last look, the group disperses.

You let out a long sigh, "Well, it could've been worse."

Bellamy nods, "Yeah, I could've killed him for saying that shit to you." He begins walking to the log, eyeing the few teenagers that watch it with amused expressions.

"I could tell you wanted to." You joke, walking beside your leader. You walk together, standing in front of the log.

"C'mon, it's just a log," He announces, waving the kids away. He turns to you, "I swear they're children not teenagers."

You let out a gentle laugh, watching him kick the log and put the fire out. "Sorry." You look down, feeling bad over the whole thing. Bellamy watches you as you continue, "I don't mean to be clumsy all the time, I just-"

"Y/N." He interrupts you, the tips of his fingers lifting your chin to look at him. Your breath hitches when you see how close to you he is. You gulp. "It's alright." He smiles, loving how your cheeks begin to redden at his touch.

"Why'd you stand up for me like that? I probably deserved what they had to say." You admit, sighing in shame.

"I like you." He confesses. He thought it'd be hard to tell a crush about his feelings for them, but as Bellamy watches your expression he takes back all his previous doubts. It's the easiest thing he's ever done.

"You do?" You inquire suspiciously, wondering exactly what he means by those three words.

"Yeah." He laughs, licking his lips before he talks, "You're too cute for your own good."