43. bleeding love

STORY CREATED BY hellsbellsbellamy

Being the chancellor's daughter had strict implications. You were always expected to be the picture perfect politician's daughter – smart, beautiful, well-mannered and poised. You had to speak gracefully, behave conservatively, dress modestly and do as you were told. You had to laugh, smile, and nod on command all while reciting contrived speeches and agreeing with policy that differed greatly from your own point of view. At 23 years old, living with such rigid regulations was beginning to be more than you could withstand.

Playing the role of dignitary's daughter was draining. You were drifting away piece by piece as you upheld this grand persona in front of your peers, in front of your father, and even in front of the mirror. The image reflected in the glass only masked your true nature and reminded you of the person you never wanted to be. You never asked for this. You only wanted to be free of the stereotypes and labels attached to a position of such prominence.

It was easy to forget your inner identity while constantly walking in your father's shadow, but there was one person that you could always count on to keep you grounded, Bellamy Blake. He was your place of peace, the place where you could pour in your true colors and a rainbow would be reflected. You didn't have to be anyone but yourself around him because Bellamy knew exactly who you were and always reminded you of the person that you could be.

He knew the girl that cursed like a sailor but sang like a saint, and the girl that loved to strut around his apartment in her underwear and one of his oversized t-shirts, and also the girl that cuddled in his arms late at night, filling him to the brim with her hopes and dreams of a quiet lifestyle. Bellamy could use a thousand phrases to describe you but "chancellor's daughter" wasn't one of them and his love gave you great freedom from that title.

Bellamy was your rock, your safe place, and unfortunately, your exact opposite, from a social and economic standpoint. You were the princess, inheriting all of the perks of having a father in an authority position while Bellamy was a working class citizen, an everyman that was personally victimized by the harsh laws enforced by the same man that you shared DNA with. Although people often used these traits as a way to discourage you as a couple, you were able to form a sound relationship regardless of your varying socioeconomic standings. Still, because of your stark differences in status, your relationship fell under deep scrutiny, your father being the main voice of opposition.

Thelonious always made his dissatisfaction for Bellamy apparent. Whether it was straight to the poor young man's face or behind his back, your father made it very clear through constant insults and condemnation that he would never approve of such a relationship. On more than one occasion, he actually demanded that you break things off, stating that your affection for one another was merely a passing phase. Thelonious' wish was briefly granted when Bellamy broke up with you following the floating execution of his mother. Much to your father's dismay, Bellamy returned less than a month later, appearing on your doorstep on bended knee and holding a tiny metallic ring.

Wanting to prove to your father that he was steadfast in his love for you, Bellamy asked for your hand in marriage. He proposed to you with a simple engagement ring, a thin metal band that he had been saving over a year's worth of measly ration stubs for. It wasn't fancy or gaudy, but it came with the promise of his love and the creation of a modest little family that you could call your own. With this ring, the simple life that you always longed for would no longer be a dream, but a reality.

Another year had gone by and although you had officially moved in with Bellamy you were still unmarried. This was mostly due to the fact that you were both still saving up enough to acquire a marriage license, but the haste for matrimony seemed more pressing now than ever because of an unexpected surprise.