13. opalescent

STORY CREATED BY octavia-marie-blake

The white, gentle flakes fall from the sky as the quiet hum of distant thunder fills the air. Bellamy turns to you, his loving, brown eyes fixated on the snow gathering in your hair. Grasping your hand in his, he smiles, "At least you've stopped shivering."

"Some say that's a bad sign." You slur as you turn to him, admiring how small snowflakes get caught in his lashes. "This storm doesn't look like it's going to die down anytime soon." You comment, looking up to the grey cloud as your breath forms clouds of it's own.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you." Bell jokes, wrapping his arm around your waist and pulling you closer to him. Looking down at you, he presses his lips to yours but quickly pulls back when he feels how cold your lips are, "Babe, you're freezing."

You breathe slowly as you look up at him, seeing the white, icey snowflakes contrast on his dark, curly hair, "I'm fine. You just worry too much." You reply with a smile, but you feel an odd sense of drowsiness overcome you. The snow sticks to your clothes, the melted water wetting your skin horribly. You try to shake the ice off your jacket, almost slipping but Bell catches you in his arms.

"Come on, we need to get you somewhere warm." He holds you to his chest closely, his eyes full of worry. All the energy you once had walking with your boyfriend has left you and as he leads you in the direction of a nearby cave, you feel your feel give out beneath. Luckily Bellamy has a tight grasp on you, with a shocked grunt he lays you down in his arms in your cave as your eyes close. "Y/N?" He calls, his fingers brushing your ice cold skin as a feeling of dread settles in his chest.

Weak pulse.
Slow, shallow breathing.
Loss of consciousness.

These are the things Bellamy observes about you as he begins lighting a fire, cursing at himself to be quicker. When it comes to helping people get better, he's no Clarke Griffin. But he knows a thing or two about what you have - hypothermia. He remembers learning about it in school.

Quickly, he takes his jacket off and immediately feels the cold air hit him as he takes his shirt off too. "Wake up," He begs, holding you against his warm chest, "Please, wake up." Bellamy wonders if you'll survive and the guilt he feels makes his chest tighten as he keeps his fingers pressed against your wrist for your pulse. He knows it's no use trying to carry you back to camp - it's too far away. "You're going to be okay." He whispers, his lips pressing a warm kiss against your forehead. You hear his voice, it's sad and shaken and if it weren't for the warmth radiating from his chest, you wouldn't have regained consciousness.

"B-Bell." You mumble, pushing against his warm chest.

"Oh, thank god." He sighs breathlessly, relief flooding him as he tightens the jacket around the two of you, "How are you feeling?"

You smile, not quite understanding the gravity of the situation, "You're gorgeous, of course I'm fine." You joke, letting out a small laugh. Bellamy gives you a fond smile, admiring how even so close to death you're the same person he fell in love with.