21. a friend

STORY CREATED BY octavia-marie-blake

Earth was not always great. Clearly. With every turn past trees and caves, there was danger there, hiding amongst the green. You and your friends head back to camp, wishing things had turned out differently today.

You're all coming back from a hunt empty handed. Ever since the grounders were around camp a few days ago, animals had been scarce. You all guessed they knew when to run and hide. No one had come back with much food for two days - the only thing people have been eating has been nuts and wild onions. Today was no exception.

The walk back to camp is silent yet deafening. The quiet tension makes your skin crawl and you wish someone would just say something, but everyone was afraid of how Bellamy would react. Bellamy Blake, their leader / hot head. The unpredictable rebel.

As you reach the gates, you hear the usual bustle from inside and you calm down a little. The lack of sound reminded you of the skybox and it was becoming unnerving.

Your eyes stay on him as if they're glued there, you can't help it. You feel bad for him. It's not like you and Bellamy can be considered friends - more like acquaintances at this point, the only thing the two of you have ever talked about is how to keep the 100 alive. But that doesn't mean you don't care about him.

He barks orders at people, the lines on his face prominent with anger. He marches off to the dropship and you follow. You have to return your gun anyways since he's the one who let you borrow it.

"Bellamy," You call after him as you enter the familiar room. He turns, face softening slightly when he sees you standing there shyly. "Thanks for letting me use it today." Holding out the gun, he takes it from your hands.

He places it on the silver bench, back facing you. "You didn't really use it." He sighs. You stand there idly, knowing what he means - the guns trigger was never pulled. He's upset about today.

"I'm sure we'll have more luck tomorrow." You say as you stand next to him. You try to sound hopeful but it doesn't work at all. He sees through the crystal smile you put on and he knows you're just trying to make him feel better.

Turning to you, he gives you a hopeless look as if he's about to burst out laughing. Maybe you are making him feel better. The corners of his lips turn up into a smile, "Are you flirting with me?"

You pause, not sure how to respond as your face fills with confusion. "Just trying to be nice, Bellamy. You look like you need a friend." You mutter, your eyes cast onto his.

"Well, you're wrong." He states, "I don't."

"I thought you got past this self righteousness." You fire back, raising an eyebrow at him. The tension in the air shifts and you both realise it. It feels odd, like somethings about to happen.

"And I thought you got over your little crush on me."

You furrow your eyebrows incredulously, "Crush?" You repeat. "You think I like you?" He doesn't respond, just gives you a look as if it's obvious. "Are you kidding me?"

He lets out a small chuckle but it isn't real. "Look, there's no need to be embarrassed about it." You almost lose your mind. You're never going to be nice to anyone ever again after this, you swear it.

"Yep. You're definitely kidding me." You mutter, catching onto his teasing tone, "When you're done being an ass, come find me." You turn to leave, wanting to get out of his intimidating gaze before your cheeks turn red and you forget your own name. But he does something.

Before you can step out into the cool air of earth, away from the grey walls of the dropship, he grabs your hand. "Alright, alright. I'm sorry." He tells you once he's pulled you to face him, "Stay." He adds, making your heart flutter and ache with just one word.
Damn, maybe you do have a little crush on him.