47. too close

STORY CREATED BY saibh29

Ever since the failed peace talks guard patrols had doubled, tension racked up each and every time someone had to leave the walls protection. No one wanted to be the group who managed to cross the grounder scout's paths.

Unfortunately, you all still needed to eat and the 100 were ravenous teenagers who if they weren't watched would quickly eat a weeks' worth of rations in a day. It meant that hunting parties were still completely necessary and actually even more frequent than they had been in the past.

You knew that Bellamy didn't like you being out on the hunting missions, that he tended to worry like an old woman every time you left the relative safety of the camp. You however, were one of the best hunters in camp. You were deadly accurate when it came to throwing knives and axes. The ability to take down an animal from a distance was well appreciated by the others in the hunting party. Ever since Katy got skewered by a boar tusk and required Clarke to stitch her up with any sort of anaesthetic, you'd all been much more reluctant to get close to the animals after that.

You were out now with Miller and another couple of delinquents moving quietly through undergrowth trying to find the trail of the boar you'd abandoned yesterday. On your left, you could see Miller a few feet away moving deeper into the woods.

If you hadn't been looking at that exact moment you would have missed it, the sudden glint of a knife and flash of eyes from the dense forest beside Miller.

"Miller DUCK!" you screamed.

His pause to look at you saved his life as the knife flew past his face inches away from his nose. As it was though you didn't move fast enough. The knife meant for Miller lodged itself into your chest near your shoulder.

You dropped to the ground with a gasp of pain, hand reaching up to the knife. Laying on the ground staring up at the sky above you could hear shouts around you as grounders appeared. Miller was shouting your name trying to find you but your voice was for some reason not working anymore. You couldn't make yourself shout out.

The noises were fading away and your eyes were starting to flicker in and out of vision. Damn it even your fuzzy brain knew that passing out from blood loss would not be a good idea. However, it was impossible to stop and you seemed to no longer have control over your body. Your eyes closed once more and this time they didn't open.

******

When you woke you were semi surprised that you were even waking up at all. You were still laying on the ground and there was an aching fire of pain in your shoulder. The knife had gone and god knew how it was possible that you hadn't simply bled out.

The sun was starting to set and darkness was creeping across the forest, it would not be a good idea to be caught out here in the dark. Testing first your feet and moving up your body you decided that the only parts of you that weren't working was your left shoulder and arm. Luckily you didn't need your arm to walk and with a groan of pain you managed to push yourself up to your feet.

It took you a long time to make your way back to camp, struggling to keep your balance from the spinning in your head from blood loss. You'd fall every few steps and have to drag yourself back to your feet. By the time you could see the vague outline of the wall coming into view you were banged and bruised. Scrapes covering your legs and knees, clothes torn and your shoulder throbbing in pain.

Shouts alerted you to the fact that the people on guard had seen you. The smaller gate was opening and there was suddenly hands on your arms holding you up.

"Y/N? Fuck, Y/N look at me"

Bellamy, that was Bellamy's voice. "Bell" you felt your legs start to give way as your strength now ran out once more. Bellamy caught you from falling swinging you up into his arms.