40. hollow

STORY CREATED BY xlviolation

"Bellamy I c-can't," [Y/n] panted, her knees and hands planted on the ground as muddy streaks adorned her face. Why did she of all days have to trip now? Her ankle throbbed and she suspected it was sprained.

"[Y/n] you have to!" Bellamy insisted, looking at the fast approaching fog.

"You should go without me," she asserted, looking away from him.

"For fuck sake [Y/n]," Bellamy groaned. "If you think I'm leaving you here, you're dead wrong." He crouched down, his arms clamping down on her waist as he lifted her up and threw her over his shoulders. Her eyes widened in surprise as he started running without another word.

"Bell..." she murmured, almost wanting to cry at his kindness. Other than her own brother there had never been anyone else willing to risk their lives for her. She shut her eyes in exhaustion as she drank in his scent and thought he smelt a bit like wood and spring. He smelt like home.

"There's a cave!" Bellamy exclaimed as his pace quickened. He bolted into the cave, narrowly avoiding the impending acid fog. He set her down in a corner gently and immediately removed his shirt, hastily pouring water over his arms. He breathed a sigh of relief when the cold water soothed his burns. "Hey," he murmured. "Are you burnt anywhere?"

When he received silence as he reply, he moved closer to the [h/c] haired girl, realizing she was unconscious. "[Y/n]!" he called, shaking her awake fearing that she would never wake up again.

"Relax Bell," she groaned, opening her eyes a slight smile adorned her face.

"Thank god," he breathed. Without thinking he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. [Y/n]'s stomach fluttered at the closeness of the two. "I thought I lost you."

"O-ok," she stuttered, nervousness coating her words. She felt empty as soon as he removed his arms. "Why do you care Blake?" she asked, rolling her eyes playfully. "Didn't you tell me to go float myself just a day ago when I refused to take off my wrist band?"

"Don't flatter yourself," the older Blake scoffed, settling himself next to her. "I'm just doing this because Atom would kill me if you died."

She went quiet at the mention of his name, her silence not escaping the attention of Bellamy. "You're worried about him aren't you?"

She nodded. "What if he's hurt? Or worse, dead?'

"Shh," Bellamy shushed. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder, and pulled her closer to him, rubbing circles on her arm. She sunk into the warmth of his side. "I'm sure he's fine."

"What if he's not?" she whimpered.

Bellamy couldn't answer her, instead choosing to rest his head on hers, his hands stroking her hair.

"The fog's gone," Bellamy announced. [Y/n]'s head shot up at the good news. She scrambled up, wincing at the pain present in her ankle but getting up nonetheless. She bolted out of the cave.

"Atom!" she called, looking around. "Atom!"

"[Y/n]?" a voice called, a head peeked out from behind a tree. "Bellamy?" She recognized it as Monroe's, her heart dropped when she still couldn't see Atom.

"Monroe," Bellamy greeted. "Glad to see you're alive."

"Yea we found a cave not far from here."

"We? Is Atom with you?" [Y/n] interjected.

Monroe looked away. "Sorry no."

At that moment, [Y/n] felt what could only be described as crushing despair. She looked at Bellamy hopelessly. "We have to look for Atom!" But before either of them could take another step a scream resounded, breaking them out of their confusion.

"That's Charlotte!" Bellamy exclaimed, running over toward the scream. "Stay here." He nodded at [Y/n].

Bellamy paused, his stomach rolling at the sight of a blistered and bloody Atom. He took tentative steps toward the male.

"Atom?" he whispered. Atom sputtered words of gibberish as he tried to speak. Bellamy moved closer to hear him speak.

"B-Bellamy," he wheezed. "P-please take care of my sister."

Bellamy could only nod as he watched Atom give off spasms of indescribable pain. He turned back immediately remembering [Y/n]. He scrambled toward her. "[Y/n] you should go back to camp. You need to get your ankle checked. Monroe go with her."

"What?" [Y/n] furrowed her eyebrows. "Why? What's happened?" When Bellamy didn't reply her heart only raced.

"Bellamy," [Y/n] snapped. "Move aside." He refused to comply. "Move aside!" she yelled this time.

Reluctantly Bellamy stepped aside. [Y/n] limped toward the direction he had come from and Bellamy followed her in silence. She stopped when her brother came into view.

"A-atom..." she whispered her voice cracking as her eyes filled up with tears. She hobbled over to his body and collapsed beside him. Atom turned his head over hearing her voice. However his pale gray eyes remained unseeing of his sister. "Atom," she repeated his name tentatively as if afraid to use it. She cupped his face with her fingers delicately, careful not to cause him any more pain. Her tears dripped down her face as she cried.

"K-kill me," she heard him croak and widened her eyes in disbelief.

"No!" she cried. "Clarke can heal you."

"No," the said girl spoke up from behind her. "No I'm so sorry, I can't." Clarke could feel her voice breaking as she watching the heartbreaking scene.

[Y/n] willed herself not to cry any further, not wanting her brother to hear her in distress in his last moments. "Ok," she whispered, pulling out a knife from her boot. "Ok." Her hands shook violently as she held her knife that felt so familiar yet foreign in her hands. She gripped the handle even tighter.

"[Y/n]," Clarke spoke up, making her way next to the [h/c] haired girl. "You don't have to do this." She placed a hand on top of [Y/n]'s shaking one and gently tried to remove the knife from her grasp.

"Yes, I do," she retorted, shoving Clarke away. "You wouldn't understand! If you think my brother is dying in your hands, think again." She turned back toward her ailing brother.

"I love you. I'm so sorry."

Back in camp, Bellamy looked around for a certain [h/c] haired girl, Atom's last words to him ringing in his head. He found her sitting alone next to the fire, her expression desolate as she fiddled with her wrist band. He made her way toward her, tentatively.

"What do you want Blake," her voice cut through his thoughts as she stared up at him, her eyes unreadable.

"I just wanted to make sure you were ok," Bellamy said and immediately wanted to hit himself for it. Surely she wasn't ok.

"Yea I'm fine," she replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "You can go now." Instead, he took a seat beside her.

"Look [Y/n]," he started nervously. "What you did today was the right thing."

"I know," she whispered her tough facade cracking. "That doesn't mean it didn't hurt."

Bellamy wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him. She relished in the warmth of the fire added with the warmth of Bellamy. "I know," he replied simply. "I know."

Her head nestled itself into his neck as she finally let herself cry. The tears burst forth like water in a dam, spilling down her face. Bellamy felt her tears wetting his shirt but he only held her tighter. Delicate hands clutched his shirt as he wrapped another arm around her. Her pain had been kept and bottled up for so long it came in waves, her sobbing ceaseless as she wailed in his chest. She felt as if she was hollow, her life and family crumbling in her fingertips and Bellamy sat there rubbing circles onto her back, reaching into the hollowness and filling it just a little.