16. nightmares

STORY CREATED BY octavia-marie-blake

His shoulders reflect his mindset; tense as he bears the stress of his people upon them. He lets out a deep breathe, meaning to calm his doubts but nothing changes. As Bellamy rubs his sleep-deprived eyes, you watch him being weighed down.

Though peace between the the Grounders and Skaikru has been established after the events of Mount Weather, you can still notice that it isn't enough for Bell. The concept of peace alongside safety has been so foreign for so long that he has no sense of reassurance that it's even real.

You watch him as he walks into his tent and you follow. Finding him sitting on his bed with his head in his hands, he looks up with a small smile upon your entrance.

"Hey, Y/N/N." He smiles, using the nickname he came up with years ago. Bellamy leans back on the bed as you close the tent door, "How are you?"

Raising your eyebrows, you look at him. "Me? What about you?" You respond, looking at the growing bags under his eyes.

Bellamy shrugs, "What about me?"

"You look like you haven't slept in years."

Bell lets out a laugh, running his hand through his dark, tousled hair. "It's nothing." He lies through his teeth, not wanting to pass the weigh from his broad shoulders to yours, "It's just my shoulders, they've been hurting for a while."

"Lay down on your stomach." You tell him, knowing exactly what he needs. He does what you say, smiling to himself at how much you genuinely care for him. The two of you have always been close so giving each other massages and spending quality time together has never been a big deal. "Have you been sleeping?"

"Yes, love." Bellamy mumbles, closing his eyes as your hands work the knots in his back.

The feeling of hearing him using cute nicknames like that isn't enough to make you feel better about the whole situation. Frowning slightly, you take a seat next to him as you speak, "I've heard you wake up and wander around camp each night, Bell."

Giving you a reassuring smile as he turns to look at you, Bellamy does what he's best at; acting like he's fine when he's not. "You don't have to worry about me-"

"Yes I do." You interrupt, giving him an incredulous look. The tension between the two of you has always been there and at the moment it feels extreme, so you find a way to tone it down. "As your best friend it's my job to look out for you."

Bellamy gives you a small smile but it doesn't calm you as he lays back down. "I'll be alright, Y/N." He tells you, resting his hand on yours, "I always am."

With a grave look on your face, you sigh lightly. "You know you can come to me if somethings bothering you. Whenever, however, whatever it is... you can come to me."

Leaning around to look him in the eyes, you give him a small smile, hoping he listens to your advice. All Bell gives you in return is a single nod, his brown eyes never leaving you.

The night was quiet, the only sound was the unkempt bonfire crackling. Everyone had retired to their respective tents and have fallen asleep. Everyone except one. Bellamy's eyes were closed but his mind was far from easy.

He's still, eyebrows furrowing as various images flash behind his eyes - one of his mother's last moments alive, another of the people in the mountain's last breathes.

He feels as though his lungs have stopped working. A feeling of fear creeps into his heart, making him feel cold all over. It shakes him awake.

Calming his breathe, Bellamy sits up slowly with wide eyes. There are tears brimming his eyes and he wishes he could just sleep. That's all he wants. To just sleep.