26. time part two (au)

STORY CREATED BY octavia-marie-blake

The quiet music seems to shout into your ears but you make a note to block it out. With your two children asleep in the car, you make your way home from the shops. Your ring. It shines from it's heavy place on your hand.

Bellamy, now in the discomfort of his own home, sits on the kitchen bench staring himself down in the ovens reflection. Though his headache has faded, a new problem has risen. This birthday lunch.

He had asked for the details, so sure of himself. But now, only having an hour until the event, doubts begin to settle in. It's not that he doesn't want to see you happy, it's that it'll remind him that he has nothing. Not without you. His reflection stares back at him. Seconds pass.

You know what you need to do, Bell.

The voice doesn't seem like it's coming from himself, it sounds different - more caring, kind. Everything he feels like he isn't. So he listens to the voice urging him to get changed and go. Placing the phone up to his ear, he hears the familiar greeting of his younger sister.

"Hey, Bell." She smiles through the phone.

"I have a situation." He admits, proceeding to tell her everything that happened today, "She said you're welcome to come."

Octavia pauses, "Well, I can't go!" She shakes her head incredulously, "It's so obvious that you'll end up shagging her and I ain't sticking around for that."

Bellamy furrows his eyebrows. That intention never entered his mind. All he saw this was is an opportunity to see you again. And that's all he's ever wanted, for forever.

"O..." He warns, heading to his car, "She's married now. She has two beautiful kids. She doesn't want me."

Octavia hums, letting her thoughts travel. "And you're actually going to this birthday lunch thing?"

He pauses, standing still as the keys to your car are about to unlock the slot. There's a quiet. "Should I not go?" He asks, furrowing his eyebrows. He was invited... that means he should go... right?

He waits for his sisters answers, knowing that there's rules that girls have about things like these. Y/N could've just been being polite. Or maybe Octavia can see that it would be extremely awkward.

Nevertheless, he listens to his sister with the knowledge that there's things that his simple wind won't understand about the minds of girls.

"Do you think you'll be okay seeing her... happy?"

Her words make Bell's chest ache. "I have seen her happy. She was happy with me." He replies angrily, opening the car door before sitting down and slamming it shut. You were happy with him... weren't you?

"Bell, I didn't mean it like that." Octavia sighs, placing a hand on her forehead, "You both have different ideas of happiness now. She's settled down."

"I'm happy." Bellamy defends himself, not knowing why Octavia has always thought otherwise. She thinks that to be happy you need someone, to be married and have kids like her and like Y/N.

"Look." She states, not wanting to have this argument again. "I've gotta go. Have fun with whatever choice you make." Then her voice is gone. She hung up. And Bellamy's sitting alone in his cold car, wishing that he weren't so alone.

"I am happy." He repeats, his breath fogging up the window that he looks out of. The house he lives in is old and Bellamy fears he'll never get away from it. It's only a matter of time before the house he's spent his whole life in consumes him.