40

It's the next day. Both women went home alone and upset. Today Regina was going to the doctor to have her kidney out. She was sat in the waiting room with Dani.

"So mum what are we doing here" the teen girl asked with a sigh as to what was going on.

"Alright I'm going to tell you this now and you can't freak out. I was diagnosed with cancer and today I'm having one of my kidneys out because of it" Regina softly explained knowing it was finally time to tell her.

"YOU WHAT" Dani shouted in shock as she stood up from her chair.

"Sshh" Regina quickly said as she noticed everyone around her looking at them. She sat the young shocked teen down who just looked frightened. "I'm going to be ok. They have a treatment for my liver and one of my kidneys is being taken out. I just need a donor" Regina tried explaining as she held her daughter's hand to keep her sat down.

"Why didn't you tell me before? Mum you could die and you didn't think to fucking tell me! You can't have cancer! No it's not ok" Dani yelled as the fear took over her and she tried fighting to stand up to leave.

"Daniella Mills look at me. I'm going to be ok. That's why we're here. Just trust me" Regina softly said making sure her daughter's eyes were on her.

"I need to go to the toilet. Don't follow me... Please" Dani begged before getting up and walking towards the toilets saying ladies.

Regina sighed as she rubbed her forehead. She knew she should of told Dani sooner but there was never a good time. Regina knew in that moment she just wanted Emma by her side. She wanted to be cuddled in her strong arms and have her whispering soothing messages. But of course she wasn't. Just the sound of loud conversation around her.

"Ow yes my cat is ginger too"

"I need an injection"

"Mum why was that girl just shouting"

Regina just tried to drown out the sound of everyone and be in her own world. She thought about being in Puerto Rico with her father. In the hot sun getting a gorgeous tan and seeing her father after so long. The woman's thoughts are cut short by her phone beeping. She got a text.

Emma: hey... I hope everything goes well today. Sorry I can't be there. Crews is a dick and won't let me have the day off... Listen. We need to talk after this about everything. Y'know? Xx

Regina: I know. Meet me after work at the park. We can talk then xx

Emma: alright👍xx

Regina knew that was coming. She knew Emma would message that and they'd go for a talk somewhere. She was waiting for it. The break up talk. She made a mistake that is clearly go bad to forgive. She just sighed and tried not thinking about it for now. Before she knew it Dani came back over.

"Are you alright" Regina asked softly as she placed her hand on her daughter's shoulder.

"Yeah... Are you though" Dani questioned back tried to hide the fear in her but failing.

"I'm absolutely fine. I feel normal" Regina said telling a slight white lie in order not to freak the teen out.

"So you moping around is about Emma and not the cancer then" Dani asked catching her mother off guard completely.

"I'm not moping about"

"You are"

"We just had a little fight that's all. It's complicated" Regina replied not even really knowing what happened last night.

"You'll be alright. She really likes you" Dani softly said with a sweet smile to reassure her mother.

"How do you know that" Regina asked a little confused what gave her daughter that impression.

"With our car crash of a life she wouldn't still be around if she didn't" Dani simply replied with a slight shrug and a look to her phone.

Regina smiled a little since it's actually reassured her. She knew there had to be a reason Emma was still messaging today even though she was angry.

"Regina Mills" the doctor said getting her from her thoughts.

"Dani stay here alright"

"Fine"

Regina sighed as she stood up. She followed the doctor to an office like room. Confusing her more so.

"Miss Mills we need to talk to you about your kidneys. Please take a seat" the doctor informed with a slight smile and a hand gesture to the chair. Regina looked confused as she sat down. "We can't take the kidney out. Neither is strong enough for you to survive with just one. We're going to start your treatment for your liver today but your kidney will have to wait for a donor"

"For fuck sake... Let's just get on with it" Regina sighed as she tried to hide any emotion she was feeling inside.

"I'm very sorry Miss Mills. Please follow me to the other room and we will take a sample of your blood" the doctor informed the spaced out woman just looking at the side of the desk.

He stood up and walked to the door. Regina did the same not saying a word. She was lost in a scared trance without a clue in what to do. She grabbed her phone and messaged Emma.

Regina: I know after yesterday I have no right to say this but I need you. I'm freaking out. They won't take my kidney out and I might die. I'll explain at the park but please come. I'm so sorry. I'm really scared em. What do I do?

She reread the message. She wasn't sure if she should send it. It wasn't Emma's problem. She'd be surprised if the blonde cared that much. They barely know each other still.

"Just through here Regina" the doctor said causing her to send the message.

"Shit" Regina whispered to herself knowing she was going to get rid of it.

The brunette looked up and nodded at the guy. Walking into the room. She set her things on a chair by the hospital bed. Just before she went to the bed her phone binged. She saw Emma messaged back.

Emma: I'm always here for you no matter what. We will talk later ok xxx

Regina: thanks swan xxx