CHAPTER ONE

She adjusted the seat belt and leaned back as the plane took off. Feeling all lightweight and out of breath, everything went smooth after that.

She put on her headphone and played Celine Dion's 'Power of Love', looking out the window to the fluffy white clouds, oblivious to her surroundings and drained in her thoughts.

The first semester holiday's coming to an end. Resumption in a week.

She'd spent the holiday in Abuja with her elder sister; Nabeelah. It was just like other holidays spent there. Perfect.

The three weeks comprised her birthday and Eidul-Adha. Both she enjoyed to the rim.

Her mind drifted to the 'talk' she had with her sister over tea last night. It was just the two of them. Her husband was on night shift and the kids were in bed. Na'eemah went to Plateau for eid.

"So, Yusuf called me today..." Nabeelah started, adding sugar to her clouding mug of tea. "He wanted to know wether or no you'll be leaving tomorrow."

"Yeah." Why won't I? She took a bite of her muffin. "Was that it?" She knew there was more to it than that.

Nabeelah gave her a cold look but she didn't say anything disrespectful. "I'm sorry." Amira muttered.

Nabeelah scoffed. "So," She continued, stirring her tea. "How are you two doing?"

"Fine." She replied courteously, mentally wishing the discussion would end there.

"Why aren't you giving him a chance Amira? He's serious about you." She stated.

"Nothing."

"That guy's good for you."

"Look sis," She removed her earpiece, placing her phone quietly on the glass table. "I don't know how to make you all get me. I'm really not interested in relationships right now. Like, I just turned seventeen. Give me some break."

"I won't force you but you should know that such opportunities come once in a lifetime. He's a cool guy. Handsome, kind, rich, mad for you. What more do you want?" She addressed.

Amira shrugged. Perhaps some space, she thought to herself. But the main thing is, she just doesn't want to be in a relationship and if she gives in, the next thing will be; when is the marriage? And marriage?! That's the last thing on her mind and she loathes the thought of it.

"I'll guess what your problem is. You are paranoid Amira. You don't trust anyone. Not even yourself! And," She fidgeted. "You have this crazy phobia, it freaks the hell outta me." She pinpointed, her tone rising with the emotions building up in her.

"Perhaps I am. And what are you doing to help it?" Amira's eyes misted.

Nabeelah felt at fault noticing the tears drop from her sister's eyes but what could she do? The truth always hurts.

"Look sweetie," She held her hands affectionately. "We're all just looking out for you. We love you unconditionally. You know more than anyone that Yusuf means you and I couldn't think of anyone else better for you. You two are close, you know each other well, what more? And moreover, some have kids at sixteen so chin up. And as I've mentioned earlier, I won't force you." She smiled. "But please consider it. Give it a shot. You've never been in a relationship before. You won't know how it goes if you don't try."

Amira smiled back sheepishly as she slipped away her phone and got up. She gave her sister a side hug. "Love you and sleep tight." With that, she headed out.

Back in her room she thought over it. She was really not into commitment. Maybe she did have a commitment phobia. Who knows?

She slept late and rose early so as not to miss her flight.